Focke Wulf TA.152C-11 - 1:48 Hobby Boss

Mike

I couldn't resist starting this one, after reviewing it here the other day, and have slapped the cockpit together into assemblies so I can prime and then paint it all. I've added some strengthening to the rear turtle-deck (which is optionally PE), and some strip styrene to the sidewalls of the cockpit, and have decided to replace the provided PE seatbelts with Eduard items because they're overscale and would struggle to fit on the seat-pan. I'm not bothering to remove the cushion from the seat, as my pilot will be a sufferer with haemorrhoids, so in need of the extra comfort. :owww: The rear bulkhead behind the seat isn't very accurate, but as it won't really be seen once complete, I'm really not bothered.

I shall be breaking out the paint shortly :)

cockpit1.jpg

cockpit2.jpg

I've also built up the engine stub that'll be seen through the gear bay roof, and will prime and paint that at about the same time :)

Me too! :frantic:

I marked out the flap cut-outs last night on the wings, removing a lot of thickness on the top and bottom sections to fit them in. As usual, I held the pieces up against the light to check how thin they were, so I didn't break through. The flapsets were fairly simple to make up, as they were one piece. The actual flaps themselves were replaced with a new section, which were a little more tricky to put together, due to some tiny little folds that didn't want to go. I managed to cobble them together too, and they're now painted. I'll post up some more pics of those and the cockpit in a while once I've had chance to do 'em :photo:

wings1.jpg

• Like 1

Wings are buttoned up now - the flap set was pretty easy to fit with a bit of preparation, which was a pleasant surprise. I think it's the first PE flap set I've done, so I guess I've got no excuse now? :shrug: The gear bays were given a coat of Alclad Airframe Aluminium rather than the specified RLM02, on the basis that there were shortages of materials and time was of the essence at the end of the war. They're quite nicely detailed OOB, so I left 'em as they were. The back end of the engine was primed black, given a dusting from below with Panzer Grey, then detailed with some metallic shades, just to give a bit of interest in case anyone's peering in.

cockpit3.jpg

The cockpit was done with Panzer Grey, lightened in placed, decals applied and a black oil wash added and then cut back with cotton buds. As mentioned, I used some spare Eduard seatbelts and finished it off with a matt coat, then some Klear on the instrument dials.

wings2.jpg

A test fit of the wings showed that I've cut the underside of the fuselage correctly, and the flaps sit like they should. The joint between the wings and fuselage is a sweet-spot of the kit, and shouldn't need any filler if I don't screw it up. The rear of the wing unit has a tab to help keep it in place, and the fit is exemplary. I painted the front of the wing joint metallic, as that can be seen in the wheel bays. There's a bit of a void in there, and the detailers will want to do some work here, but it's another quickie for me, so I'm leaving it be.

Next up, the fuselage is about to be sealed up, and I don't anticipate much if any filling needed here either. :)

Thanks Martin ^_^

Swift progress last night ended up with the fuselage and wings being glued together, which has got to be my record TBH... The fit of the wings was damn good, just a little Vallejo putty to make the joint a little shallower on one side. The underside needed a little fettling as it had cured with a slight undulation in the seam. Nothing that a few drops of CA and some sanding stick action couldn't cure though. I'd also got the gun-bay cover on slightly squiffy, but that again was sorted out with some sanding. The tail planes aren't even handed, so one fits the other's slot, which was interesting (sort of), so I test fitted them to see which one sat best in which hole. A bit of glue and they're done. You might be able to see their blutak supports in the pics if you squint. :) The gun-sight is tiny, and will drop through the hole in the coaming if you let it. I tidied up the mould seam without losing it (for a change) to the tile monster, and glued it with CA to the front lip. The canopy parts are really nice and clear, but they were still doused in Klear for that little bit of extra shine and to minimise apparent thickness. I'm leaving off the intake on the port cowling, as it's a great place to accumulate over-spray, and I'd end up with a gritty section that I just don't want. I'm also leaving off the exhausts until later, both to ease painting and to see whather Antoine (or anyone else) will tell me what's supposed to be awry with them.

airframe1.jpg

airframe2.jpg

Panel lines have been reinstated (there wasn't much lost at all, happily), and I'm now working on the small parts like landing gear and the canopy.

BTW - there's a replacement annular radiator cowling available from Quickboost if you fancy getting one. Looks to be a drop-in replacement, and gives it a more realistic look. It's too late for me, but if I'm doing the C-1/R14 later I might well invest in one.

A corking kit that builds up nice and easily. There's plenty of scope for aftermarket, but it is a great build OOB with excellent fit and finish.

• Like 1

I've already built the c1 variant of this and it was a cracking little kit to put together.

DSCN4025.jpg

I did use the Eduard masking and photo-etch kit for this. I have just bought the C11, and will be using this as a reference build (when I finally get round to doing it once I've moved - not allowed to build any more kits until then.........) Please forgive the scheme - I hadn't had my airbrush for very long when I did this and was using only very simple schemes on my kits. Mind you, I'm still not that good after 18 months with one!!!!

Edited by treker_ed

I did use the Eduard masking and photo-etch kit for this. I have just bought the C11, and will be using this as a reference build (when I finally get round to doing it once I've moved - not allowed to build any more kits until then.........)

Cool - I've got the R14 coming soon, and I'm going to do that one with the aid of the Quickboost bits if I can. The cowling looks too nice to pass up :)

QB48505.jpg

Quick question - late war Luftwaffe prop blades are wooden, right? Don't want to scuff up a blade with metal edges if it's just going to make me look (even more) stupid, do I? ;)

Thanks guys :)

Steve - I need to head to an LMS somewhere near to pick up a white, yellow & possibly a light grey, beige and light green too, but I might get that accomplished tomorrow, all being well. She's scarily almost ready for paint now! :o