1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk.I Colour Photoetch for Hasegawa kit

Sean_M

I am busy doing a MK 1. To save a lot of bother I ordered the following PE (because I broke the dash) It has a lot of good detail but the service door is painted Teal (if that what you can call the green) Its a million miles away from anything close to a Hurricane cockpit colour. Here is a picture (not the same green)

EDFE252.jpg

Its more like

teal_flex_lg_1.jpg

Should I not bother using the PE Part? I was think of using some Maskol to re-spray the green,but I think that the detail is too fine. Any suggestions?

It's not a service door, but an emergency escape hatch.

It was removed for servicing, but not often. And this is the problem with the pre - coloured Eduard etch.

You could just look for an older unpainted set, but probably as easy to skip the hatch, bear in mind with the fuselage curvature you don't tend to see much of it anyway....

one thing for the hase kit is get some new wheels [kit hubs too small] , the best are probably the Brengun set [from pics, don't have a set], but the True Details are OK.

If you are doing a MkI remember to remove the tropical service vents as well. As hasegawa used the same fuselage for all their Hurricanes, they moulded them. These were brought in for tropical use.

the two directly under the foot hatch in this pic

terryprendergasthurricaneburma.jpg

Sean, I think I pointed you in the direction of the pic of the inside of the Finnish Hurricane? If not I'll dig out the links.

T

...spending more time to rework on aftermarket. A good example. It is a big problem with this coloured PE sets. Another one is the grainy effect I have found on the panels : look like a kind of wood panel painted in black...(?? )...the colour of harness is also ..strange.

...masking around with adhesiv tape and spray the good colour ? I would forget the part 20 and go to sctrachbuild.

Have a nice build ( I have one in the shelf to build...)

cheers

Olivier

Edited by JOAN

Yup Kinda figured that was the reply. my mistake - I know its a service panel :) The kit OOB detailed is fine. I have a few RAF Lion Roar seat belts which I have sprayed but I am buggered if I know what the "Triangle" bit is on the lap straps. Never seen them on a Sutton harness. It look like some kind of leather leg cushion. I am stuck with deciding on the correct colour for the harness. I made up to sets. 1 with Tamiya XF-55 which is supposed to be Tan and Revell Brass. The colour looks wrong. I tried the other set with Khaki - XF49 and silver and that looks too much like

leather.

Troy I have access to the Finnish Hurricane Thanks

Edited by Sean_M

...spending more time to rework on aftermarket. A good example. It is a big problem with this coloured PE sets. Another one is the grainy effect I have found on the panels : look like a kind of wood panel painted in black...

I've noticed that too.. Looks like they're screen printed..

The solid shaped triangle sections?

Looks to be just extra padding under the belt, sort of pressure point when the pilot is strapped in?

irvin%20seat%20harness%202.jpgirvin%20seat%20harness%202a.jpg

For colour, I'd go somewhere between buff and khaki, with aluminum buckles - though not sure what metal was used here.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 1