Scottish Maid 1839 Aberdeen Clipper Schooner

seadog

Thanks, yeah, starting to look like a ship :) I'm now faced with the dilemma of hull colour; Probably black but there's a possibility she was a dark green. I'll probably go with black. As Coco Chanel possibly said "Can't go wrong with basic black and a string of pearls" OK, I think we can manage without the pearls.....

Right, first coat of paint, still needs a lot of tidying.... Got the bowsprit and jibboom together, if for no other reason that I need to be thinking about the base and case and how it'll fit. it also somehow marks a new chapter in the story.

IMG_7067_zps340621ee.jpg

Some small woodwork on the catheads and the bowsprit cap that joins the bowsprit and jubboom...drilling closely spaced holes in small bits of wood is, uh, challenging - hurrah for drill presses!

IMG_7069_zps5e085d88.jpg

Close ups...

IMG_7070_zpsffadd1b0.jpg

IMG_7071_zpscc0f52f0.jpg

The cap will need an 'iron' band around it and a few twisted wire eyebolts, not to mention the dolphin striker (no it didn't)

and at this point the name and home port go on.

IMG_7073_zpsdd322194.jpg

At this stage it really starts to feel like it's happening. Mind you I'm not even thinking about the rigging - she'll have sails, so that will be a monumental amount of work in making just the blocks. I'm buying in belaying pins and deadeyes (3mm).

F

• Like 2

This is looking very sharp, how did you do the lettering?

I cheated, of course and did it in Xara on the computer. I can letter, but not at 7point!

Thanks for the compliments chaps.

F

Xara It's a design program I've been using it for graphics and things like tracing plans since 2000. It lets you do all kinds of horrible thinghs to text as well. I also have used it for stencils for airbrushing, haven't done any decals yet. Best thing is that it's fast, pretty intuitive and relatively cheap, even the 'pro' versions, which I don't use. and no, they're not paying me to say this! :)

Time passes....still hot here, 33c - in the shade. Unspeakable out of the shade. So problem solving time. There really ought to be a pinrail somewhere near the bow. This is usually right up in the bow combined with a bit of grating to ease access to the bowsprit. on Scottish Maid the bowsprit goes over the rail, so that one 's out. While looking for a solution I came across drawings of a more or less contemporary Brig. A pin rail that curves out from the side pieces of the windlass to the pawl post so that the coils of rope on the rail don't get tangled up on the windlass - slick. OF course this meant making a new windlass, but what the hell, that's modelling and I think the new windlass is an improvement anyway.

IMG_7085_zps7755879e.jpg

Then there was the winch. No chance of finding a couple of nice gear wheels for it so it's two black painted disks, best I can do - for now.

IMG_7086_zps06c9d073.jpg

The pulleys on the ends of the shafts were turned, a bit inexpertly, on the Proxxon Mini Wood Lathe I forked out for as being Utterly Vital, honest darling!

When I bought it I also got a drill chuck designed to replace the tail stock. Really useful when doing this kind of stuff.

IMG_7075_zps89bdecab.jpg

I've also been adding things like cleats and Keevils, or Cavills. Places for belaying lines - three on a side.

IMG_7087_zps0da690b9.jpg

I'm now getting close to the point wheni 'll have to bite the bullet and work out how to do a 1 /96th figure head of a Scottish Maid....Victorian, probably fairly modest as figure heads go...or maybe not. Have to see what I can do...

• Like 2

Yes, difficult, very! Forlorn hope: Cheers, I wouldn't mind if you don't need them! The figure head in particular would probably be too large, but provide a model to work from and the crew would be most welcome on board! I'll PM you?

OK, it's been a while since the last update. That's not to say I haven't been working on the ship. It goes with the territory that sometimes you look at a part you just made and know it could be better...happens a lot actually, but hey you learn, eh? Here's the binnacle. Not sure if it'll do...bit like a starved Dalek...

binnacle_zps56820097.jpg

I've also made a pair of 'elm tree pumps' haven't shot them yet.

One thing you need a lot of on a ship is ringbolts. At this scale they're pretty small. So this is one way of making them.

ringbolt_zps099d02f0.jpg

I've started working on the masts and the bowsprit/jib boom, lots of bits, lots of ringbolts. In this pic they-re being checked for the look of it and a reminder of the overall size of the model

masts_zpsdb25fac1.jpg

...and here-s the mast top for the foremast. Came out pretty much as I'd hoped. The 'slats' are CA reinforced watercolour paper . easier to cut tiny strips from than wood!

fore-top_zps0eae0670.jpg

Ta for looking!

• Like 3

...bit like a starved Dalek...

I hope you are not mistreating Daleks here, the rest of us Daleks take a pretty dim view of such things. You could soon find yourself in a lot of bother.

Daisy the Dalek

Edited by Nigel Heath

When you build a ship model, kit or whatever, I was advised to take it stage by stage,because if you think about all the bits involved in the whole ship you'll probably startd rooling from the ears...so today I was building a model of a Main mast... Start with a 5mm sq. (approx.) length of wood (Degame here)

IMG_7113_zpscd9cc337.jpg

and get it to the basic shape with a very small plane... Then I added the mast cheeks - they support the mast top, and started cutting rebates in the trestle trees. They sit on top of the cheeks and support the cross trees...still with me?

IMG_7115_zps4ab5c64a.jpg

Where I can I like to reinforce glue joins with .5mm bamboo treenails. With plastic the cement welds your joins. Seccotine is a traditional hide glue, incredibly strong but it's a glue join.

IMG_7117_zps79eace44.jpg

OK move on a bit and the Main Top Mast has been made and a mast cap, tricksy little so and so, that, have been made, cross trees and even a supporting fid for the topmast - that's the little sliver of wood you can see sticking out the side of the top mast at the bottom...

IMG_7119_zpse6ff27a1.jpg

Then it's onto a bit of airbrushed black and a sprinkling of ringbolts. That's the basics. There's still more odds and ends to go on the mast, cleats, a support for the boom etc. etc....but that's for tomorrow!

IMG_7121_zpsddeb314d.jpg

• Like 1