Revell 1/144 Hughes/Boeing AH-64D Apache Longbow

Dazzio

Hello one and all,

I am in with this little beasty, I'm quite surprised that there has been any Apaches yet... strange. Anyhow on the box art.

z3a9.jpg

One thing that always made me wonder, would an Apache really need to get that close to the SCUD?! And why does it look like the SCUD can only drive in reverse? Can't they find first gear?? Well here is the art in all it's glory... fantastic isn't it? :P

6wq1.jpg

The other option is a Dutch one, I was thinking about a British Army one. But I forgot when I started to make it... so it's the classic US Army version. Theres the decal sheet as well.

dbk7.jpg

Fun parts set A.

erm6.jpg

Fun parts B. I had a little bash at them on Thursday, and this is where I am upto as of now.

rwlq.jpg

Tried to add as much detail as I could to the cockpit without going OTT. Think I kinda pull it off. Thinking about doing the belts again too.

ehvf.jpg

See what I mean about the belts? I doubt you'll be able to see them through the glass anyhow. Hopefully more to come soon. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Done some more work on this one. I gave the Revell Aqua-colors a try... really do not like them at all. But I will persevere and stick with them. Need a lot of thinning down tho. Right this build is going to be OOB to get as many models done before I go away for two weeks in September. Pictures below.

x3kh.jpg

The colour call outs on the instructions seem really weird. According to Revell, the whole aircraft except for the tyres and rotors should be Oilve Drab. I'm going to do a hunt tonight to see what info I can find out about this. Even the rotor head was supposed to be Olive Drab. I painted it chrome (I've got a thing for that colour atm). Waited for it to dry then I went to town with the black wash. Very impressed I am, first time I have done that,

9ewp.jpg

Otherside... with a giant clothes peg. :P

5lrq.jpg

Just seen all of the bits I have missed. Think I will thin down the paint some more and go over her again. Really does paint badly from the pot.

scgm.jpg

It's that bloody giant clothes peg again. I can't tell if the lumps and bumbs are the paint or my crappy modelling. I will have to look into them.

Hope you like what you see.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Thank you Snapper. I saw your build earlier in the year and using bits and pieces of it for reference. You also warned me about cutting off the rotors, which helped a lot. Managed to get them off in one part thank god. Thank you. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Truth be told Snapper, I've not had the time to do anything else to her since the last photos. Work has been a total cow, and been helping SWMBO with her cake business. Thinking I'm gonna have to get a move on sharpish.

Neal, thanks mate. Now I've cocked up on her big time. I don't think anyone else has noticed yet (probably due to scale). Trying to decide if I want to try and fix it or not. These little ones go together really well. Just like the Puma. Think ill try and turn my other one into an AH-64E Guardian. Dunno why

Kind Regards

Dazz

Truth be told Snapper, I've not had the time to do anything else to her since the last photos. Work has been a total cow, and been helping SWMBO with her cake business. Thinking I'm gonna have to get a move on sharpish.

Neal, thanks mate. Now I've cocked up on her big time. I don't think anyone else has noticed yet (probably due to scale). Trying to decide if I want to try and fix it or not. These little ones go together really well. Just like the Puma. Think ill try and turn my other one into an AH-64E Guardian. Dunno why

Kind Regards

Dazz

I've had a good look at the pics and I can't see anything wrong

Your telling me. I have finally got the fuselage together on my build after much fighting. Seriously running out of time and life isn't helping at all.

On the Little Bird? I have been enjoying that build, altho I haven't actually said anything in the thread. Actually I'll refrase that, I've been enjoying all of the builds in this GB. I got a couple of Sea Hawks to do after the Apache or the CH-53G. I'm planning to get the F-18's done, then bash the Apache out as it's closer to being done that the F-18s. I'm not going to use the Hellfires tho, they are dire...

I've had a good look at the pics and I can't see anything wrong

I guess you'd only notice it if you had the instructions on you. I put the engines on upside down. I did wonder why the little round bit was giving me lots of grief :P

Kind Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

I gave the Revell Aqua-colors a try... really do not like them at all. But I will persevere and stick with them. Need a lot of thinning down tho.

They are very inconsistent across the colour range for their viscosity, some are Ok but others are ridiculous. I bought some empty "Vallejo" type bottles on ebay and made some ready-thinned colours up. I put a couple of small beads in each bottle to make it easy to mix before use. I use a very thin mix, almost like painting with water but it needs to go over a good primer. I usually do 3-4 coats with a small flat brush and dry each with a hair dryer on low heat. Because it's so thin by the time you've painted a coat it only needs 20-30 seconds of heat and it's dry as a bone and ready for the next. One handy thing with the really thick colours is that you need to thin them so much they will last for ages :D

A couple of colours to watch out for...

05 matt white, or as I call it "very light cream". Need I say more? I mainly use it for colour scaling, 25% white to 75% whatever colour I'm using for 1/144, other than that I use Tamiya's flat white.

15 matt yellow. Ignore the colour on the sticker which makes it out to be a lemon yellow, it's more like Humbrol's 24 trainer yellow.

34 gloss Ferrari red, nice shade and good coverage unlike the gloss yellow, green and a couple of others.

09 matt anthracite, beautiful shade which is great for tyres and exhausts in 1/144.

92/93/94 brass, copper & gold. Awful! The particles are huge and no amount of stirring prevents a total mess.

90/91/99 silver, steel & aluminium. Good coverage, a discernible difference between the silver and aluminium as well. The aluminium is a nice matt finish once dry. If you need gun metal go for Tamiya.

Hope this helps ^_^

Edited by Speedman