Revell 1/72 B-17F/G 'Sally B'

WV908

Hi all,

having only recently joined Britmodeller, you'll be joining Sally in her final stages. There's plenty of photos of the build to keep y'all happy. I won't bung all of them on in one go :)

Initial fuselage fettling with some temporary parts (including canopy) in place;

1_zpsc4c2a07a.jpg

2_zps3052cd65.jpg

3_zps5bb42bef.jpg

Early interior shots;

4_zpsb65e14d2.jpg

5_zpsf957d3f3.jpg

6_zpsb47084fd.jpg

7_zpsafca01bb.jpg

Modified nose windows, unique to Sally;

8_zpsa02f1cd1.jpg

10_zps5dd18a9a.jpg

11_zps892e2099.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, love the engine cover ring bit!! (I'm not an engineer incase you weee wondering!!) really coming together nicely, it's making me want to get stuck into mine straight away!

Cowling, that's the word I was looking for!

Hi Cheshiretaurus, the generic Memphis Belle decals came with the kit, and both sets of nose art had to be outsourced. A short while back I scanned the transfers and printed copies on normal paper - sellotaping them to the aircraft.

28_zps9392c236.jpg

29_zpsb375ee04.jpg

30_zps1d903d0f.jpg

31_zps4e0bab62.jpg

32_zps8a947675.jpg

Edited by WV908
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gunpowder17, she is to be finished in circa 2011 condition. It's when I first saw her flying at Waddo.

Second masking session;

49_zpse5bfd9cf.jpg

The aircraft currently has two top coats and will receive a third and possibly fourth when the weather picks up. It's a tad too windy at present

Edited by WV908

Third coat on - the leading edges of the vertical stabilizers need a little bit of attention. Once done the masking will be removed and I'll temporarily fit the wheels, engines, ect for y'all before she's masked for the black leading edge sections

Hi Iain, thanks! :)

A few little areas to mask off and respray on the underside, but I'll hopefully get the leading edges and / or engines painted today. Then all that's left with regards to painting are cowlings, props, upper turret canopy, ball turret and guns

• 8 months later...

Very nice,its a shame i havent seen any decals for Sally on the market as it would be nice to build her

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

How long have I being building this? For a 1/72 kit it's certainly taking me a while. Anyway, the whole aircraft is now varnished and the nose blister has been replaced with a spare Academy one - not perfect, but considerably better

12_zpsb6272114.jpg

13_zps01fb57aa.jpg

• Like 1

Looks great,..I like how you`ve added the third window to each side of the nose instead of the cheek gun positions found in the kit (these cheek positions were fitted at modification depots on the real B-17), what did you use to fill each of the cheek gun positions in?

I want to do my Revell B-17`s as RAF Coastal Command aircraft you see so I`ll need to do the same!

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tonyot,

The clear sprues provide both parts for the F and (mostly) G versions - I cut and shut the F and G parts to produce this. The kit was the F boxing so unfortunately does not contain the separate clear parts for the waist guns, meaning I had to cut the gun slots for those. I chose not to cut a new staggered waist gun position, but she's close enough for me

Cheers,

WV908

Edited by WV908