F-14 Santa Cat - Dragon 1/144 - finished

Neal

My Hornet GB entry has stalled as I'm waiting for resin parts, however I have some modelling time available this week so a quick rummage in the stash has turned up this:

photo-1936.jpg

The carrier deck will wait for another day. I've some aftermarket decals on order but more on them later. So quick build, no messing about I'm just aiming for a nice clean build.

Edited by Neal

To get though this build I've decided to do the UC up So I don't have to mess about with painting the white parts (also the wheels are pretty poor) I've found a suitable stand to pose it cruising wings back.

That plan for simplicity has stumbled at the first hurdle, the UC door fit is shocking:

photo-1184.jpg

I've also removed the wing sweep mechanism and slotted them so I can paint them separately.

The cockpit is typical dragon, no detail with just blob pilots, I did have them both in green flight suits, but with the jet I have in mind a red suit seems more appropriate.

Here's the front sectioned buttoned up, the UC gaps have been packed with scrap plasticard and a hole has been drilled for the stand although I'm a bit worried I've done it too far back.

photo-914.jpg

Edited by Neal

Nice Neal! You are a brave man for attempting this kit! I took one look at my F-14 and thought "meh... Revells is better...". I also think the stand is a little too far back too. You've gota put the wings on, the intakes, the top half of the fuselage too. I reckon it'll push the centre of gravity to the front. You might get away with it tho.

Anyhow, will be watching this, I like your builds :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Nice Neal! You are a brave man for attempting this kit! I took one look at my F-14 and thought "meh... Revells is better...". I also think the stand is a little too far back too. You've gota put the wings on, the intakes, the top half of the fuselage too. I reckon it'll push the centre of gravity to the front. You might get away with it tho.

Anyhow, will be watching this, I like your builds :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Dazz,

Thanks for the kind words.

Your right the revell kit is much better.

Ok so tonight's progress, hole for the stand was filled with some strechted spruce (I'll redo it when the kit is all together) UC doors sanded flush, with a bit of sanding and dry fitting the intakes are on with some fettling left to do though, fuselage is all together. There are some seams around the front join to sort and the front UC door to sand to match the fuselage profile.

photo-901.jpg

photo-1749.jpg

Edited by Neal

Nice start Neal keep it going

Les

Thanks Les.

No picture update, it's been sand & fill, sand & fill, sand & fill. I've been using plasticard and superglue which is much quicker and easier to sand than my usual humbrol filler, hopefully I can get a primer coat on later and see how good or bad my efforts have been.

A quick shot of primer and its looking ok, bit of sanding and putting back the panel line I've lost but nothing major. Pretty pleased with the priming it not something I normally do it usually just get the brushes out and slap on the paint.

photo-1982.jpg

The decals arrived this morning as well, so its the santa cat im going to do hence the red flight suit. One minor but fundamental error that I'd not pick up before but if no one else spots it I'm going to keep quiet.

The decals arrived this morning as well, so its the santa cat im going to do hence the red flight suit. One minor but fundamental error that I'd not pick up before but if no one else spots it I'm going to keep quiet.

Only one I can think off is that fact you are making an F-14A and the Santa Cat was an F-14D... if my memory serves me correctly. I got that decal sheet, the decals are bloody small, will be watching this even more now. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Only one I can think off is that fact you are making an F-14A and the Santa Cat was an F-14D... if my memory serves me correctly. I got that decal sheet, the decals are bloody small, will be watching this even more now. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

I can't get anything past you; correct the kit is an "A", the Santa Cat was a "B", the kit has two options for the chin sensor so I get that right but the exhaust will be wrong. I might even do a single grey paint rather than the TPS two tone as the demarkation which is almost impossible to see anyway.

Wrong model, wrong paint, please forgive my modelling heresy.

I can't get anything past you; correct the kit is an "A", the Santa Cat was a "B", the kit has two options for the chin sensor so I get that right but the exhaust will be wrong. I might even do a single grey paint rather than the TPS two tone as the demarkation which is almost impossible to see anyway.

Wrong model, wrong paint, please forgive my modelling heresy.

Oh I thought it was a D model (obviously by my answer)... I will need to check out that decal sheet again. As for the model being wrong... screw it, it's your model do it the way you want/enjoy. I hate the two tone navy schemes, I can never get it right.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Edited by Dazzio

bugga the 100% accuracy, that colour scheme looks great.

If you were going for 100% accuracy then you have to factor in the colour scaling, which for this scale could be anything up to 20% lighter than original colour!

So don't get too worried about the colour accuracy, love the idea of showing it in flight!! :thumbsup:

Great effort, nice sanding work to get it fitting well

Cheers Rob

bugga the 100% accuracy, that colour scheme looks great.

If you were going for 100% accuracy then you have to factor in the colour scaling, which for this scale could be anything up to 20% lighter than original colour!

So don't get too worried about the colour accuracy, love the idea of showing it in flight!! :thumbsup:

Thanks.

Yes know what your saying about two tone schemes they never look

right on mine

Les :banghead:

I think the colours are so similar to begin with and then with the weathering overall its a tricky effect to get right.

Bit more sanding and tidying up, I've also had a go at rescribing the panel lines that have been lost. Thankfully the kits lines are quite chunky so my efforts will fit in nicely!

Edited by Neal

• 1 month later...

As is do often the case modelling time has been limiting of late by various factors. Anyway I managed to steal a few hours last night; I've finished tidying up the UC doors and attached the pheonix pallets and the glove pylons. I then got on with one of my least favourite jobs of masking the canopy, in the end I gave up doing the front framing and masked the whole lot and I'll hand paint the frame in later. Then it was time to breakout the new toy: an airbrush. This was a present and one reason I've been procrastinating a bit. So painted the rear engine covers NATO black and used the same to try a bit of preshading. (It's a bit heavy handed i know but they'd look great in 1:24) back to more masking to cover the engine panels now.

photo-2340.jpg

Edited by Neal

Great progress she`s looking good

Les

Cheers Les.

Minor update; masking finished, chin sensor attached, exhausts prepped ready for painting.

Hopefully I can crack out the airbrush and get it painted tomorrow.

I had another look at the fightertown decals again; they look excellent but the ain't half gonna be fiddly. . .

Bit more of an interesting update. Firstly this is my first airbrushed model so please don't hold back with any areas for improvement. So the grey is on; it might be a bit heavy to have made the preshading useful but the coverage was ok. Then masking for the white arrestor hook and the fin tips, I've always struggled to brush paint white so it's a revelation how well it covers with an airbrush. Then on to the black parts, the tamiya tape bugdet is going to have to increase:

photo1.jpg

The tanks, fins, strakes, hook stripes and cockpit got their colour, I found black particularly hard to airbrush. The exhausts I brush painted.

photo2.jpg

I couldn't resist peeling off the tape.

photo3.jpg

Overall thrilled with the result, there's a touch of over spray on a couple of places (unbeleiveable given the amount of tape I used) and a few places that need tidying up but nothing major.

Touch up the overspray, paint the wing bags and klear next.

Edited by Neal

I managed to grab a little modelling time today; I've touched up the areas of under/over spray and few other areas where the paint wasn't right. I've been surprised by how thin the paint is and how easily it can be scratched. I've also used another few feet of tape and maskol to mask the wing bags

Looks good to me also, done well with your first airbrush attempt! Done a lot better than I did and still do actually :P

Looking forward to seeing more, and how well you deal with the decals. ;)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Looks good to me also, done well with your first airbrush attempt! Done a lot better than I did and still do actually :P

Looking forward to seeing more, and how well you deal with the decals. ;)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Thanks Dazz, the decals are tiny but they look in good register. They're fightertown and I've read good things about their larger scale decals. I think I'm going to leave the fins off until the end to help with the spraying and decelling.

Managed to get a cheeky hours modelling in this evening. Painted the wing sweep bags, I think the different shade of grey has lifted the whole model, which is good as I was getting worried it was looking a bit toy like.

A quick trip over to swannys models whilst the paint was drying to find out about spraying klear then on with act sully doing it. I ended up doing 3 quick coats which seem to look ok. There was a run on a wing but I managed to fix that with the edge if a paper towel. The gloss seems to have helped the preshading come out a bit more as well.

photo1-1.jpg

Typically after glossing I've also notice a few areas of under spray (not sure if they're that visible really but I notice them) and a couple of nasty sink marks just aft of the pheonix pallets, I'll probably hide one and use it for the stand hole. Really pleased with how the arrestor hook looks. The pic also shows my pretty trench like attempts at rescribing around the nose

photo2-1.jpg

It can go away now until the weekend when hopefully the decelling can start.

Edited by Neal