BRM P25 in 1/24. Updating the old Merit kit.

My particular field of interest in racing cars is predominately vintage and classic. Unfortunately there are very few reasonably priced kits available in my favourite scale.

Many of you will be aware of the old Merit Grand Prix car kits. They had quite a range including the D type Jaguar (one of my all time favourites) Maserati 250F, Talbot Lago and Alfa Romeo 158, to name just a few.

The kits are really quite ancient now and I believe they were first manufactured at the dawn of the plastic kit era.

That having been said, they are fair representations of the original subjects and with a bit of re-work and a few additions, can be made into reasonable looking models.

I've managed to acquire a number of these kits over the years as prices for unbuilt examples in good condition can get quite interesting.

My most recent irresistible find was in a local charity shop. There were four kits with a sticker price of £2.25 each. I handed over £20 for them as that was all I had in my wallet, it felt like the right thing to do. Haul was, Ferrari D50, Vanwall, BRM P25 and Cooper 500.

So, I am slowly working my way through them. All were built examples but definitely not 'glue bombs'. I have completed the Vanwall and have been slowly working on the BRM P25.

This years model club Christmas competition is themed, an annual event, this years theme is 'Lincolnshire' i.e. anything built or used in Lincolnshire.

The BRM, being built in Bourne, fits the bill nicely (I'm also doing a 1/32 Red Arrow) so I have to crack on with this.

The pics that follow show the basic kit, a built out of the box example (these pics are from the net) followed by my progress pics of the build so far.

Also, you need to know that the Merit kit was of the early P25 prototype. This was before Colin Chapman suggested a re-think on the suspension and the transverse leaf spring was dropped. So there will be no pretty red springs peeping out above the rear wheels.

meritkit_zps8866c446.jpg

meritbrmbuilt_zpsc626a8d5.jpg

Work starts with the body. Removing the moulded in radiator grilles and rescribing the panel lines, these are raised on all Merit car kits.

004_zps641ba37f.jpg

The tyres and wheels are from South Eastern Finecast. They sell kit parts separately and these come from their BRM P57 white metal kit. The castings have been improved by drilling through and adding the smaller holes. The rims have also been smoothed slightly.

002_zpse68e2bcc.jpg

A new floor has been added together with transmission tunnel. Reference for the cockpit has come from my own pics taken at vintage race meets. They are all of the later P25 but I am hoping not too much changed in this respect. I could find no detail pics of the early car. The pinky white blob at the rear of the cockpit is the front of the fuel tank, this was un covered right behind the drivers seat! This was made with body filler applied over the top of the flat kit part. The real fuel tank was, of course, rounded in profile.

006_zps16a65e2f.jpg

It was common for cars of this era to have tubular chassis covered with a metal skin. The tube chassis could be seen running down the sides of the cockpit so this has to be represented. I make some measurements and draw a jig.

008_zps69b864cd.jpg

The two sides of the frame are joined together under the instrument panel, this also makes it easier to handle and attach as a single piece on final assembly.

009_zps06cc18ad.jpg

A quick mock up of how it looks. Instrument panel will have details added and I need to scratch a gear lever up.

010_zpsc03a7f41.jpg

Finally, couldn't resist a quick mock up of the car. Now thinking about how to scratch up an exhaust system, probably with 2mm solder.

012_zpsd43969c2.jpg

Thanks for looking. As usual, I am open to suggestions or improvements, etc.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1

(not by me, I wasn't born yet!)

hmmm, not convinced by that one, but neither was I - quite!

Continued great stuff Steve. At £5 each still a sizable bargain! Bluebird is currently available (at some cost) via a resin caster in Portugal. Which one did you build Steve?

Rich

Not convinced!

Cheeky,I'm only 24..... Just had a very hard paper round lol.

On the subject of Donald Campbell's Bluebirds, I built the Speedline Models vac-form kit (I also bought the K7 boat from the same guy)

As you know, this thing is huge (1/20) but it is a great build and my only venture into vac-forms so far.

A visual reminder....

008.jpg

007.jpg

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1

That's a GREAT charity shop find! I'd like to discover a few Merit cars in my local emporia, as well...

Re the Bluebird, as it happens I was in the Lakeland Motor Museum this week, and snapped this:

bb-XL.jpg

I guess the car and boat were companion pieces...

I'm looking forward to seeing the BRM coming back together!

bestest,

M.

That's it!! Yep, I found it hidden in the depths of the stash. I knew I had a Bluebird thingy somewhere.

Anyway, bit of thread drift here. That's a stunning Bluebird you've completed Steve!

Great project going on here, will follow with interest. Looking good.

Interesting side track as well with the Blue Birds. Lovely built vac-form. I have so far managed not to buy the resin kit, but will probably not be able to resist much longer...

Hi Jorgen,

would the resin kit be one of Fernando Pinto's examples. I have a couple of his kits and I have been quite impressed by the overall quality, added to the fact that he produces some car kits that are firmly in my field of interest, puts his catalogue high up on my 'must save up for' list.

Thanks for the comments on the Bluebird Proteus, it does generate interest whenever I take it to shows.

I really must get around to building the K7 boat to go with it.

Steve.

Got some primer on the body shell. I've also used some of those rivet decals from Archer to replicate the rivets around the inlet scoop on the bonnet and rear body (I think the rear most one was for the inboard brake disc)

I have a bit more careful scribing to do around these areas.

Instrument panel is also done together with the steering wheel.

003_zps8bfc8113.jpg

004_zps61cb3ea0.jpg

005_zps010c4bca.jpg

I have also taken some pics of the rest of my Merit collection, just for the sake of interest and discussion.

The Alfa Romeo 158 is one of the last kits produced and features engine detail and a removable engine cover.

This kit is complete and unstarted, even has the little bulb of glue which is still liquid (very rare)

009_zps03319f2c.jpg

The later kits, this car along with the Talbot Lago, do not hold much value by all accounts. I will probably save this one in it's current condition as I have the SMER release to build.

Another unbuilt example, the Aston Martin DB3S. I have a set of wire wheels to replace the kit items.

010_zps36ea952b.jpg

This Lancia-Ferrari D50 is a WIP and I have, again, purchased some etched wire wheels for the build. This one will really benefit from the Archer rivet decals. If you know the car, you'll know what I mean.

007_zps3885c6bc.jpg

The CooperJapanese500 is a nice little model. Biggest job on this will be to replace the tyres with rubber items. Lots of little detail items will also be added, just need to get some more ref material.

008_zpsdbed0abc.jpg

Lastly, the Connaught B type. I'll replace the wheels and scratch up a tube frame for the cockpit. Exhaust will be solder and ally tube and paint scheme will be Rob Walker colours. The tartan finger nail decals are for the seat, the only things I could find that might do the job. Didn't fancy trying to hand paint tartan pattern.

006_zps94acb648.jpg

Cheers, Steve.

SMER only did the Alfa 159 and Talbot Lago -- they were billed as "Superkits" by Merit because they had full engines, unlike the others. You can see how few pieces there are in triumphfan's pics above. What I don't know is whether Merit's intention was that they could be easily motorised as slot car car racers like Airfix's 1/32 MRRC cars of similar era. Does anyone know if Merit themselves had a motor/transmission/pick-up kit for their models?

bestest,

M.

The Merit cars predated the slot car surge, and perhaps 10 years ahead of the Airfix ones in particular. So it depends what you mean by era, but I'd be very surprised to find that Merit had this in mind. There may have been what we would now call aftermarket parts provided, but I don't remember these. I suspect the kits had mainly been and gone from the main hobby shops, though individuals may have had access to some and customised them.

I have seen one of the D50's converted to slot, very nice it was too. Neat installation of the motor and hand made brass working front suspension. Made me wish I had a 1/24 track to have a go with it.

Very interesting reading from you guys that either remember these kits or have had some dealings with them. Keep it coming.

Steve.

Progress has stalled on this for the moment as I am waiting for some solder to arrive. I've found it quite difficult to get hold of 2mm solder and had to resort to the internet!

The body parts are ready for paint but this can't happen until the exhaust is made, no way I'm gonna try doing that with a finished bodyshell.

The exit point in the body has been cut out and boxed in from behind. It will be painted black in there and at least look like the exhaust is going into the body work instead of being glued to the outside.

Also, the fuel filler point has been opened out and a backing strip glued in from underneath, this allows a more realistic installation. Monza style filler cap is from the parts box, the Merit part was a bit iffy, lol.

005_zps74c457c1.jpg

Interior frame now has gear shift attached and pedals are scratched up.

003_zps439fa0d1.jpg

Parts ready to be fitted. Front suspension has had a rudimentary steering rod added and disc brakes from the spares box. Seat is painted and weathered slightly. The screen is copied from the original with masking tape and will be held in place with rivets. The pic makes it look scratched to hell but it looks ok really and will be even better after a dip in Klear.

004_zpsecdffb64.jpg

Thanks for looking in, Steve.

• Like 1