1/72 Jet Provosts - Finished

Glad I'm not the only one...!! :whistle: Like mine, does your wife disown you & make you walk out behind her with your pocket full of stirrers??!! :D

Keef - she's a veggie and she doesn't drink coffee! - First I have to sneak into McDonald's without her noticing! I'm allowed in coffee shops by myself though............

Steve

• Like 4

Keef - she's a veggie and she doesn't drink coffee! - First I have to sneak into McDonald's without her noticing! I'm allowed in coffee shops by myself though............

Steve

Really?,it's usually under very close supervision for me from my Boss :D ,she knows I'll

filch straws,stirrers,the little sachets of suger,salt,pepper,anything like that if it's free :lol: :lol:

• Like 2

...she's a veggie and she doesn't drink coffee! - First I have to sneak into McDonald's without her noticing! I'm allowed in coffee shops by myself though............

Steve

Didn't realise there was enough meat in a McD's meal to trouble a veggie ;)

• Like 3

Crept forward (weak from a lack of red meat :) ) to begin cockpit painting.

Added a couple of the more visible stringers using plastic strip; and then a coat of Tamiya Medium Sea Grey:

623C779C-521F-4550-B242-6519CDDEEE9C-266

Some detail painting - trying to represent and differentiate the leather covering on part of the side walls - then dry-brushed with light grey:

6EFC6A5C-F566-4348-95F2-86F0F4B1E5F9-293

Instrument panel (minus the dials - bit more to do on this):

155307A5-4E64-45B7-98FF-B472F4148462-293

Dry fit:

BA9664B6-E365-462F-A04C-04DF258BE330-293

C0BB2206-13A3-4783-8C56-4D53ED193442-293

Cor- it's all very grey isn't it?

Bit more detailed painting to go yet - the odd spot of colour (well the undercarriage up and down buttons are red/geen respectively - at least that's something!) add the instrument panel dials and some radio deetails and then washes. Hopefully it'll bring it to life a bit more. Then seats etc. in and zip up the fuselage.

Steve

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 3

I've finished painting the cockpit now - minus the seats and control columns (and I've just noticed I've yet to add rudder pedals - doh)

I've tried to hint at switches on the instrument panel by punching some indents and using a dark grey wash. Radio face is a home made decal made by priniting off a scan of the CMR JP3 panel (actually the wrong mark of radio - but if anyone notices or cares then they are a better man than me (or even sadder)). Round dials are again decals printed from the CMR panel - snipped out but not seperated from the backing paper and then arranged to line up behind the panel and fixed in place using Klear as an adhesive:

3D937B44-EDA5-4AFD-8E29-CC320EBDFFBD-327

Main tub with details picked out and washed with dark grey oils. I also experimented with a yellow oil filter to hint at the general oiliness over the zinch chromate primer that shows through in the bottom of the cockpit as the grey top coat wears away:

684C7966-D76C-4A33-AC9D-7391A61FD8AA-327

Side panels ditto:

81A83448-AD39-458D-B314-268E90BA78FC-327

F1AEBE30-3315-42BE-B745-3A22D2953F82-327

And more importantly - how it looks when put together:

4b7e8e2d39e2b9fe3845e21da4426a99_zpscfe2

FF75F24D-71EB-4B84-AA2A-F821D9AB57B2-327

5C981911-D5C9-4BCC-A293-080437558E88-327

The seats will cover some of it up - but will hopefully be an attraction in their own right.

Thanks for looking - I'm new to resin add ons and also a tyro with oils so any criticisms hints and tips welcomed.

Steve

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 3

Thanks Chaps. However:

Ah but Keef - remember the Chippie panel line oil wash - I took advice on that one (including yours!) and toned it down from v. dark grey to something much lighter - and the result was much better. :) I've not done oil washes very often - but I've done a lot of reading of Britmodellor builds ;)

Colin. Your a fine one to talk about cockpits :) I'm holding off painting my black JP3 cockpit until you've posted piccies of your painted Javelin one.......Then I'm going to copy everything you did ;)

Aaron. Still seen nothing to match the curly (headset?) wires in your Gazelle (don't even get me started on that gearbox thingy).

Edited by Fritag

Found this in the Attic the other day. Buried in amongst the accumulated mess:

IMG_0012_zps4964fa35.jpg

My old course badge from JP days. 11 Course - Church Fenton. My first - but thankfully not my last - unit badge.

And here it is on yours truly's arm. Oh the innocent joys of youth. We look relaxed cos it's a non flying day - No chance of getting chopped that day :)

IMG_0011_zps20ac89ea.jpg

Steve

Added by edit: just found this one - must have been taken around the same time:

IMG_0009_zps28ef7306.jpg

That's my blue Ford Capri. Cost me about £1,400 in 1983. Bloomin fortune on acting pilot officer's pay. I never got around to wiring in the driving lamps on the front - so they never worked. At least you can't see all the rust around the wheel arches and the bottoms of the doors in the photo!

My mates MGB GT wasn't much cop either....better than my capri though.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 3

Oh soddit

Not only

a a pilot in the Airyforce (Yup jealous as soddery)

b a brilliant modellingmaker

c years younger than meself

but he also had a capri :(

fed up now, I'm off to sulk

(oh bytheway, I love the cockpit detailing. Subtle and also forceful, just the exact look that always works)

Hope we get to meet at Telford

(nb, most Bmers find ways to avoid me but it should be OK. I found a bar of Pears's in the cupboard) ;)

Superb stuff as ever, Steve (all I can say is that your eyesight must have lasted a good deal better than mine if you're still doing things of this quality in 1/72).

Resting your work against champagne corks is just showing off, though!

(all I can say is that your eyesight must have lasted a good deal better than mine if you're still doing things of this quality in 1/72).

Resting your work against champagne corks is just showing off, though!

Says the man doing the 1/350 scale ship/boat/floaty thing!!!! (Note - if you don't usually look at the maritime section of BM it's all a bit humbling)

PS. How can you do any modelling without champagne to keep you going? I no understand....;)

23B805D3-C067-4AB0-AF8E-70F80C8819B9-883

Actually I think it's a Tesco prosecco cork from a Saturday night a few weeks back :(

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 3

We look relaxed cos it's a non flying day - No chance of getting chopped that day .

I hated BFTS so days like that were a godsend! Looking out of the window to see fog or snow was shear joy. By the time I was QFI ing it was the other way round. Phase 5 meant getting the programme done with no thinking or delays.

I too had a Capri although it was a later 2.8i. Absolutely loved it although terrifying in the wet. The wife never liked driving it as the nose was so long and then kids etc came along which ended the fun. We had Mess garages at Linton. One day I opened the door and it came off the rails and land on the Capri's bonnet. Never did get any money back. The Mess blamed the MoD who blamed the RAF who blamed the Mess......I didn't push it in the end, back to the chance of being chopped!

Great job on the JP. Only flew a 5 once as I went off trucking so looking forward to your 3!

Cheers

Glen

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a little while......It's not that I've lost interest or given up or owt - It's just that I don't get all that much time to spend on modelling :( - tends to be an hour here and there rather than good long enjoyable sessions (sigh) and I've been fiddling about trying to get 4 ejection seats modded and detailed so I can get the cockpits of both the 3 and the 5 finished. Been a bit boring actually,

Anyways. Here's where I'm at. All 4 seats have been modded to the correct shape (explained earlier in the thread) had the cushions carved around a bit in an effort to make them look a bit more alive and had a few cables and levers added. The back two seats have only had basic painting done as yet (they're destined for the JP3) and the front two have had detailed painting:

B84C88AA-99F4-4F30-A6B2-5A78B5C4C94B-299

Here's a few more of the finished ones for the 5. I've got the PE belts and handles to add next and then they'll be finished and I can get on with something more enjoyable:

7461D51A-1E3C-4AD4-92C4-E0D8D2AFC80C-299

0AA3EC50-51AF-4198-8BBA-BD743AB93E4B-299

9FC8D476-4F90-4136-87F9-C0B184B98C66-299

Don't seem much progress for a few sessions work. But there you go...

Looking very nice - the cockpit will be fantasic with the seats in place.

Canopy open?

Thanks dr_gn. Yep the canopy will be open. I have the Pavla vac formed canopy to use - and if that doesn't fit well - or I muck it up - I'll vac my own using the Airfix one as a master.

Fritag,

You deserve a bottle of Champoo for the Chipmunk build! How about the Revell 1/32 hawk T1 next?

John

Ta John, I've got a couple of them as it happens - and it'll be a Hawk that I do next after the JPs. But I'm enjoying 1/72 scale too much at the moment......Decisions, decisions.

Glen's comments about BFTS got me thinking - and reminded me that I had my sortie assessment sheets from flying training up in my attic. So I had a rummage through and found them. It was nostalgic and amusing looking back on them and I thought you guys might like to see one. This one took my eye:

181112front_zps607fe6fb.jpg

181112back_zps9020cef3.jpg

Clearly not a stunning effort. Not obviously single seat material at that stage it would seem! Not entirely sure that the sweaty ball of misery I would have been after that sortie would have been consistent with idle toadery - but that's QFIs for you.....

Remembered to (slightly belatedly) renew my IPMS membership today - hopefully in time for Telford. Looking forward to it.

TTFN

Steve

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 3

Hope to see you at Telford toady!

Seriously, Idle toad, oh my... :)

I loves these seatses, Steve

Almost certain to sub ALL of mine to you in future

if you have the odd hour or two going spare, 'cos they look great

Sitthee soon I hope

b

• Like 1

Ah! Words of wisdom from Chris Topham! Wonderful!

I wish I had kept my sortie report forms Steve. I know there were some pearlers on them too! I remember when I was a QFI at Fenton, one of the crustie salts writing that a certain individual "showed the flying aptitude to be a Vulcan nose wheel chock"!!!! How we laughed at that one! Then the forms were all changed and we had to write banal, politically correct reports that wouldn't offend anyone!

The seats are looking great, but to be honest, I didn't expect otherwise!

• Like 1