1/72 Jet Provosts - Finished

G'day Fritag,

Hmmm, I must say the the JP5 from AIRFIX is a challange; possibly not as difficult as the DH Chipmunk but we shall see. The postings have come along with rather nice with the graphic arrows and tags. I wish more modellers would do that as it helps those like me, which like to look at the cool pictures.

I use Microscale liquid tape to do most of my temp construction as it helps align the scratch-build items. Oh, and never forget the "Nose Weight" on this one so I'm told.

Good luck with the build.

PHIL

PS: Those on HS Airfix chat would also like to see this I believe.

Steve,

Another masterpiece unfolding - awesome stuff sir! I have to say I have very fond memories of both the 3 and the 5, and just like the masterclass you presented on the Chipmunk, I'm enjoying this one every bit as much! So many memories are being triggered by your build - remember the float switch test we had to do as part of the start up? If I recall correctly, there were a couple of buttons that lit green when the test was good, just to the right of the IFR panel. Bet you can't model them!!!!!! Then again, bet withdrawn - you probably can!!!!!

Tim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Steve

Arriving late to this one after an enforced absence....looks to be every bit as good as the 'Chipmunk story'......I've moved on to 1:48 scale now but feel sure I can apply some of your well founded knowledge to my forthcoming build of the Fly kit of the JP5. Keep up the excellent work.

As an aside I got 'distracted' on You Tube the other day (having been referred to it by someone on Pprune) and ended up watching the entire series of 'Fighter Pilot' from 1981.....Obviously there was quite a lot of reference to the JP3/5 towards the middle of the series (and one or two faces I remember too !)......brought back some memories for sure.

Looking forward to seeing this pair progressing

Cheers

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Any news on this fantastic project?

Not sure about the fantastic......:)

No news :(

Just got back at the weekend from 2 weeks in Canada. Great holiday - Toronto, Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Kamloops and Vancouver. Went by plane, train, bus, car and boat!

Trouble is - no modelling for a week beforehand as I was busy trying get ahead at work - then none whilst we were away - and probably none this week as I try and catch up at work.

Fingers are getting itchy and hope to get back to it this weekend.

Steve

I too have come to this late, having been a devotee of the legendary Chippie thread. Your usual standards already on show, Steve.

The ARC52 made me smile; I too have one of these clunkers in my past, but I am struggling to place exactly where. Early Sea Kings on AFT, at a guess.

When you get a minute, can you point us at the origin of "Perdu's crash moulding technique" - it is something I might need to learn?

Ex-FAAWAFU there's some of that in my Sherpa WIP if its any help to you

Not much of a description though, just the odd picture

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234933280-scratching-out-a-sherpa/page-2

and

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234933280-scratching-out-a-sherpa/page-3

Hope this helps

Er Steve

I dont know if you noticed but we're suffering a trainer drought out here ;)

catch up at work? Pshaw...

b

• Like 1

Ok. So. Caught up with work - ish and had a chance to get the work/life/modelling balance more - well - balanced. put in a couple of hours on the JP5 on Sunday.

Knocked up an instrument panel using the (beautiful) CMR JP3 panel as a drill template - but bearing in mind that the JP5 panel is somwhat different:

23844B94-FF02-4A05-9B6E-3542B920BFE4-194

38560E62-161E-44CD-BEC1-0F6AB568C0BC-181

CB702A40-03E8-41D8-B196-A9D945AD15C1-181

6812AAB6-6C22-41D3-97B9-C3F4403B9FC4-181

With a bit of luck I'll be able to scan and print copies of the CMR instrument dials to use behind the plastic card panel.

Right - Moving on; here's the back end of a JP5:

fbd816bc78f30711f1d0b8470d3eddcc_zps4d90

Airfix have done a pretty good job:

656232B8-5783-4C41-A021-B12745900360-396

But it needs a decent jet pipe and a bit of refining. So thinned down the internal plastic at the back end and added a jet pipe from conveniently sized plastic tube:

107B32E3-0E32-4EC5-9766-B7D099949F52-396

985E7246-68A6-41A4-BB21-050EC9C2140F-396

Nice and smooth inside and suitably long albeit well overscale thickness at the mo'. The plan will be to open up the internal diameter somewhat with a dremel bit once the fuselage is zipped up and replicate the scale thickness as far as practical:

81248F24-3BFB-4500-AFA5-2BBCB4E09BC5-396

Oh yes. I removed the rudder as well. It's a bit too rounded in profile and needs a bit of work.

Lastly - I cleaned up the top of the Pavla resin strikemaster tub by removing various lumps and bumps not applicable to a JP and also the 'roll cage' - which I'll fabricate later in the build from some plastic rod using the holes I've drilled as a positioning guide:

392C7AEB-7E7B-4308-81A1-14FD8B062417-396

There we are. Not a huge step forward - but good to be back fettling again after what seems like weeks off.

Steve

• Like 4

Steve, nice beginnings mate.

But you know that young Nobby would have had you rolling a piece of coke can (other brands of fizzy tooth colourants are available, I use Carlsberg cans mesen') to make that jet pipe don't you? ;)

Personally I do like a plastic jet pipe (as a long time - then lapsed - then rejoined - member of the International PLASTIC Modelling Society)

But in this brave new "use all the gifts God sends you" world I can't knock it. Etched stuff is bloody awesome!

Glad we are back on track.

So, zoom on Fritag, the world needs more RAF Trainers.

(I s'spect the RAF could do wi' a few too...)

• Like 1

I've scanned in the CMR PE panel and pasted the Jpeg into it a Word doc (yet another tip from Bill (Perdu)) . I haven't got photo editing software but I've found that doing this allows me to size it accurately (using the Word visible 'grid' set to 0.5cm spacing) and also to play different contrast and colour settings and printed a few test shots on photo paper

D41C4614-1DCB-4C42-B7EF-1CA11C88E3BC-159

I'm not sure if photo paper (suitably protected with varnish) will be robust enough to use but the idea looks like it will work well enough for 1/72:

944DA2F5-3DEE-4431-8962-0E70992BADE1-159

33b6aeb59650c3fc5db4a3487fc6f3d8_zps3783

But you know that young Nobby would have had you rolling a piece of coke can (other brands of fizzy tooth colourants are available, I use Carlsberg cans mesen') to make that jet pipe don't you? ;)

Ahh - true Bill; but Nobby and thee are artists with mixed media. Anyways up I reckon plastic gives me more flexibility as once the fuselage halves are together I should be able to thin the pipe down to a more acceptable scale thickness.

Here are 'before' and the 'done a bit of thinning for illustration' piccies to show the plan. I'll leave fhe rest of the thinning down until later cos it'll weaken the plastic to do any more at the mo.

985E7246-68A6-41A4-BB21-050EC9C2140F-396

01124041-96D6-4F21-A193-D5B537BFBF27-159

Starting to get the bug back. I'm hoping to make the trip to Telford on the Saturday of the show.

Steve

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 2

I'll be there, I hope.

I love the photopaper gauges they have the right look and I reckon it should be robust enough.

I might copy that myself ;)

As for expertise in mixed media, Nobby yes - me no. I'm simply having fun trying other peoples brilliant ideas.

Er, did I mention I might/will be using Word to do instruments in future. Your idea mate thank you.

b

So, zoom on Fritag, the world needs more RAF Trainers.

(I s'spect the RAF could do wi' a few too...)

Actually, IIRC, the RAF has a very high proportion of trainers to combat aircraft, something like 33% of its strength; the USAF has only 20% of its strength in trainers, and the FAF, which is probably closest to the RAF in size and role these days, has a nearly identical percentage to the USAF.

Fritag,

For jet pipes etc, I collect drinking straws of various diameters from Pubs, McDonalds etc. The diameters of straws are surprisingly varied which means I can usually get one of the correct size and they are realistically thin.

Another top build!

John

• Like 1

Ahh. So now I'll have to walk out of these places with their straws as well as their wooden coffee stirrers..... :)

Glad I'm not the only one...!! :whistle: Like mine, does your wife disown you & make you walk out behind her with your pocket full of stirrers??!! :D

Nice work on the panels again, looking very good! Another tip for jet pipes that I picked up from a club mate is to use K&S brass tubing- many diameters available, relatively easy to cut & very nice thin wall section.

Keef

• Like 2

Fritag,

For jet pipes etc, I collect drinking straws of various diameters from Pubs, McDonalds etc. The diameters of straws are surprisingly varied which means I can usually get one of the correct size and they are realistically thin.

Another top build!

John

How do you prime/ paint them? Whenever I've tried finishing them the paint just cracks and falls off if I manage to get bit stick in the first place!

How do you prime/ paint them? Whenever I've tried finishing them the paint just cracks and falls off if I manage to get bit stick in the first place!

I use Halfords Grey Plastic Primer.

P1060178_zps49c2322c.jpg

Works for me.

P1060180_zpsa873cd26.jpg