1/72 Jet Provosts - Finished

Ho Ho :)

JP5 canopy is a nicer fit now. 'scuse the photo - done with my IPad. You can see what remains of the white strip at the bottom of the canopy following sanding and polishing. Just raises the front of the canopy and adjusts the angle.

Canopies been micromeshed - but needs a tad more and a bath in Klear:

imagejpg1_zpsb9325780.jpg

Canopy'll be posed open when it's done. The front of it will be about level with the bang seats. So it's important that the slope of the front is parallel with the slope of the windscreen.

Steve

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 8

Nice CFs dude

:)

no seriously, I mean to say no but yes but

Actually Steve it is so good that my wife just popped her head into t'office and said "Nice plane...oh...it's a model isn't it? Is it?"

Then

"Why don't you make them like that?"

I hope she means red, white and grey.

Not holding my breath...

I liked the dHG Meteochip too

• Like 2

Couldn't wait any longer. Down to the garage and on with the Polish Aluminium Alclad. A nervous couple of hours and then unmasked:

Relief.

JP5:

IMG_2867_zps4564c855.jpg

IMG_2869_zps07bf8138.jpg

IMG_2872_zpsd7ffd33d.jpg

JP3:

IMG_2874_zpsd9db82c9.jpg

IMG_2862_zps729a6c58.jpg

That'll do :)

Righto. I reckon I can stick the undercarriages on now.

Out for a curry tonight so nothing more today.

Steve

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 12

Ta all. I confess to being mightily relieved and a bit chuffed with the look of the alclad :)

The tail fairings were one of those jobs that I knew had to get done - but which I didn't actually want to do......

That looks spot on not too much & not too little shine, just right.

It's amazing stuff. Feel a bit more confident in it now it's worked out ok once. Took a leaf out of your book Mark, by having a practice on the chippie first. Glad I did.

Edited by Fritag

looks excellent Fritag - just don't touch the stuff for at least a year and a day!

My experience with Alclad is that I can get the paint on easily enough, but even when left for over a week, as soon as I touch it, it starts coming off - and a clear coat does tone down the shine a bit

Steve, I'm feeling quite sad that these will come to an end, much the same as the Chippie did, there will be a void on Britmodeller again!

Just don't hang around before cracking on with the Hawk!!!!

That Alclad looks the dogs D's :)

I know I should know better. I was going to say that the Alclad looks great, but isn't it a bit shiny for working jets. Then I thought, knowing Steve, it's probably not, so checked contemporary pics on Air Britain - & you were right & I wasn't! Great job again!

Keith

Yes the Alclad looks the part, nice metallic sheen. Glad to see you're using good old Humbrol enamel gloss black and no reaction problems. Man of my own heart. Got a 30 odd year old tin myself, luvvly stuff.

Steve, I'm feeling quite sad that these will come to an end, much the same as the Chippie did, there will be a void on Britmodeller again!

Just don't hang around before cracking on with the Hawk!!!!

S'pect I'll have a bit off a faff and make a bit of a meal of the last few finishing bits yet Neil :)

Started to muse on the Hawks. Probably about time to get the kits in.

If I understand the various comments in the various threads I've perused - it looks like the latest iteration of the Airfix 1/72 Hawk is the one to go for. Anyone got a thought on that?

Steve

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 2

If I understand the various comments in the various threads I've perused - it looks like the latest iteration of the Airfix 1/72 Hawk is the one to go for. Anyone got a thought on that?

Steve

I could well be wrong, but doesn't that one have the flaps moulded up? If so, did you used to park them flaps down or have to make a contribution to the beer fund if you forgot? I seem to see most Hawks in my minds eye parked with flaps down....(haven't looked at piccies yet though)

I quite like the Italeri/Revell kit, although some say the nose is off shape - & the flaps are up. I have the rather nice Flightpath set to put on one model & that has a new nose, resin dropped flaps & lots of nice etch & other stuff. Dunno what I'm going to do with the other 4 kits though...!!

This is the description from the Flightpath website as to what's in their set;

"This set contains alternative T.1/T1A cockpit panels and detailing, a vac. moulded canopy, sills, HUDs and other fittings, ejector seats with early and late head-boxes, wing flaps, a new nose unit, new fuselage hump and tail pipe, wing flap units and actuators, and many other airframe fittings. An access ladder is included, together with all the stores parts you could wish for - Matra Pods, CBLS 100 units, AIM-9L Acquisition Rounds, AIM-9L Missiles, a Red Arrows Smoke/Dye Pod, and a cannon muzzle. All you need to make the Italeri kit totally unrecognisable."

No connection with Flightpath, etc.....

Keith

• Like 1

I'd advise the Italeri molding. Currently gearing up to build two Mk120's, one from an Italeri Mk100 and one to be converted from the Airfix Red Arrows kit. I don't know what the Italeri T.1 kit is like, but if it is similar to the Mk100, it would the the better choice, accuracy wise.

I spent a few years working with the Hawk geometry, thus have some "background" in that department. My main gripe with the Airfix kit is that the Main Gear Doors are way to narrow and the nose gear over-sized. Not that I want to discredit the kit though, it is great otherwise.

Anyway, my 2c worth....

R

• Like 1

Hi Steve, I must say that your JP's are works of art, absolutely superb! Well done! I love the mk5 but my favourite is the mk3 both in your models and in reality. They both evoke memories of when I used to visit CF to watch the student pilots do their circuits in the JP's, good times! A question if I may Steve? As a Jaguar pilot did you ever venture over towards Leeds? The reason I ask is because I used to see the odd Jaguar fly near to my school in Rothwell heading towards Church Fenton / Leeds Bradford airport. I assume that they must have been on some sort of recce exercise? Thanks again Steve.

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Airfix correct the main wheel wells/doors on their new tooling Hawks after the first couple of production batches?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Airfix correct the main wheel wells/doors on their new tooling Hawks after the first couple of production batches?

No need to correct you, you're right!

Lovely work as always Steve. Just when we all think there's nothing else you can possibly add to the JPs, off you go & add another piece of exquisite detail. Like those rivets on the canopy frame......

On to the Hawk(s):

The new Airfix Hawk (2nd re-release with the correct u/c doors) is the way to go..... if you can live with the still slightly oversized panel lines. Otherwise, I personally have a soft spot for the original (1974?) Airfix release - even though you'll need to scratch a couple of things (wing fences, tail fillet, etc) to get it up to a "production" standard aircraft ..... but that's half the fun, no? :winkgrin:

I'm sure you remember but we never parked the Hawk with the flaps up.... always fully down. Problem is, none of the Hawks in 1/72 have the flaps as separate items, so they all require a bit of surgery. The Flightpath set is pretty good but I still think it's not quite "delicate" enough in certain areas such as the flaps. I tried replicating them myself on my build (WIP at http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234929350-airfix-hawk-after-a-long-lay-off/?hl=dougc#entry1194468) & it nearly sent me mad...... after about 30 hours, I had one flap almost the way I wanted it but I didn't have the time/ stomach/ eyesight to finish the other & the build stalled.

I've been meaning to pick it up recently (has it really been 2 years!) but I know your next project is a 1/72 Hawk...... so part of me wants to wait & learn from your inevitable masterclass!! Looking forward to it!

Edited by DougC
  • Like 3

Job well done Fritag, I have enjoyed your build very much and learnt a lot as well, watching this thread has been like watching a child mature, it seem taht long and involved since your first thread way back when, I need to get a more comfortable chair for the Hawk build, may be in it for a while !

Super job and thanks for sharing.

Gary.

• Like 1