White paint!

paganpete

Hi all,

Really quick one...white acrylic paint - applied by brush, are there any decent ones - they are all so thin and do not cover well (the way I do it)- any help appreciated!!

Ta

Pete

Really quick answer: no.

Have you tried Halfords Appliance White aerosol? I don't use an airbrush but I swear by this stuff for any white application (except possibly the numbers on dials). It's glooss gloss but that's easily cured if you need a different finish.

I was recently introduced to Humbrol's 'flat brushes' and found these were very useful when painting white areas with Vallejo acrylics. I'm sure it would be the same for other makes of acrylic paint. here is a link to a demo from Humbrol, with the part about aircraft starting at approx. 55 seconds into the video.

cheers

Mike

Thanks all, going to give thin coats a bash and see how that goes (got flat brushes but they are gold taklon). Sadly unable to use spray as I live in an apartment so neighbours would not be too chuffed :)

Also going to watch the humbrol vid!

Many thanks,

Pete

I gave up brush painting white acrylic, because of the issues mentioned. I went back to enamel white. The colour density is better, not fantastic, but better.

HTH

Sean

• 1 year later...

I know Halfords appliance white is the paint of choice for airliners. There is no Halfords in the USA and I have had bad experiences with Krylon paint. Is my best option Tamiya Ts26 pure white? I have Tamiya grey primer, do I need the fine white primer or will the grey I have be ok?

I know Halfords appliance white is the paint of choice for airliners. There is no Halfords in the USA and I have had bad experiences with Krylon paint. Is my best option Tamiya Ts26 pure white? I have Tamiya grey primer, do I need the fine white primer or will the grey I have be ok?

Much better to use a white primer if painting white over the top.

• Like 1

In my experience, the new Citadel Ceramite White is quite good for covering with white.

Simon

• Like 1

HI Paganpete,

White is a pig of a colour to brush paint, with yellow and red closely following. Here a tip I read from an article by an artist who builds models ships too. Before you paint the white coat, put an undercoat of very light grey or blue-grey down first. I wish I could remember the article and point you to it, but it seemed like a good tip to me.

Best Wishes,

Will.

Vallejo Model Colour White is very good. I usually use it to prime everything in several thin coats brushed on. It dries quickly and is a fairly bright. Ive also begun to experiment using gesso on model airfcraft kits.

I use gesso on metal and plastic miniatures as a primer and, with care, it brushes on very smoothly with thinned coats. It dries very white. I got the gesso from The Works. As a primer it takes other paints beautifully.

Cheers,

Viv