Riich Models 1/35 Radschlepper OST

Riich Models 1/35 Radschlepper OST

What a model, the finest engineered kit I've ever experienced. The fit and tolerances are truly remarkable and the detail is stunning. At £38 it broke my price ceiling but I've always wanted an OST so I had to get it.

I didn't bother with all of the engine detail (just built the minimum needed) and I used the tarp rather than the stretcher frames so I can't really vouch the the fit of those parts. I had some trouble with the fuel tank, silencer box and the cab (the breakdown makes it fiddly) but with something this detailed you're bound to have teething troubles somewhere. I also left a few bits off including some brass components, as I hate working with brass.

You really do get your money's worth out of it, it's a complex kit (with lots of options) and you have to take your time with it. If you enjoy building more than painting (like me) you'll love the challenge. Some of the sprue attachment points are awkward so get a new blade in your knife before you start.

The paint is Xtracolor X812 Gulf Sand US Army as it was the nearest match of what I had available at the time. I originally did the tarp in green which didn't seem right, so I ended up using Vallejo khaki instead, it looks browner in real life than the photos. I'm guessing the tarp colour wouldn't be what I've ended up with but I'm happy with the colour I've got.

I didn't weather it much (apart from under the chassis) as I haven't nailed that technique and I didn't want to ruin the model. In fact, considering the road clearance, it might not have got much mud spattered in the upper body in real life.

If I ever see the OST discounted I'll definitely get another, if only to do it minus the tarp and in panzer grey. I doff my cap at the designer of this kit. Whoever you are, you're a genius.

ost01_zpsaa8d77bc.jpg

ost02_zps363fe29c.jpg

ost03_zpseb884e28.jpg

ost04_zpsc8b675ea.jpg

ost05_zps80a568ea.jpg

ost06_zps006cdc48.jpg

ost07_zps65739278.jpg

• Like 7

Never seen this one before, but I am sitting here smiling :)
Congratulations on your build, great job!
I just wonder why it was designed like this?
Is it a 4 wheel drive tractor?

Thank you for sharing, very interesting indeed!

Best Regards
Johan

On 06/08/2013 at 7:06 PM, Johan said:

I just wonder why it was designed like this?

Is it a 4 wheel drive tractor?

Hi Johan,

It was designed to deal with the Russian winter.

Yes, it's 4 wheel drive, in fact each wheel has it's own driveshaft,

This page gives more information:

http://panzerserra.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/skoda-radschlepper-ost-porsche-typ-175.html

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi FL, I've been building a couple smaller-scale examples of the more common RSO (a 1/76 Milicast resin version, and Ace's 1/72 plastic kit), and as a result become interested in the Radschlepper Ost as well. I was actually googling the Radschlepper in order to show a petrolhead buddy how off-the-map some less well-known Porsche designs are! That's how I became aware of, firstly, the Riich 1/35 model and, secondly, this 'ere build/review of yours. Thanks so much for posting this. I was looking covetously at the model on various websites, but remained unsure as to whether to buy it. Your glowing review - and the splendid results of your efforts - have sealed the deal for me. I'll be ordering mine as soon as I finish typing this! Best, Seb

http://aquestionofscale.blogspot.co.uk

• Like 1