B-52'H', Something colourful.

Neil

Alclad has been sprayed on; firstly a coat of Humbrol Gloss Black 21 was applied to the relevant areas, then light coats of two of the Alclad silvers were applied. I used ALC-101 Aluminium for the dullest shade, and ALC-119 Airframe Aluminium for the shiniest tone. Wheels, undercarriage have been given coats of Humbrol White and Black also, and the drop tanks were initially sprayed very lightly in Matt White, then a coat of Humbrol 99 Lemon Yellow, and finally a coat of Fluorescent Orange, although the undersides of the drop tanks received a heavier coat of Orange than the tops, so that the tops have a slightly faded effect.

100_3338_zps993b2dba.jpg

B)

• Like 14

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments and replies. :)

Most of the Fluorescent Orange is now on (doesn't look too Fluorescent in the pic though) and as stated earlier the fin, upper tailplane surfaces, upper drop-tank surfaces have been given a lighter, more patchy coat of the Orange to try and give a more faded look to those areas. Wing leading edges and engine nacelles have a more intense 'fresher' look to the coat of Orange.

All areas which have Orange on them were first given a coat of Lemon Yellow undercoat, the forward fuselage will receive the Fluorescent Orange next (only reason that has not yet been sprayed is that it was such a convenient place to hold the model while spraying the rest of it). The forward fuselage will also be given a faded, patchy coat too.

100_3344_zpsowxofk5w.jpg

B)

• Like 4

Excellent work! I love your technique on the forward fuselage. Can I copy that before you patent it?

Cheers,

Bill

Have to admit that 'dehowie' over on ARC suggested the technique to me, I really cannot take credit for it! :lol:

The Orange was carefully rubbed down with Alclad polishing cloths, so that the Yellow undercoat slowly starts appearing, really enhances the faded look.

B)

• 2 weeks later...

Almost finished, still one or two little things need doing before it is totally done. Did some very light weathering on some panel lines, too much would of looked very out of place I think. Very satisfied how the faded Orange has turned out, better than I expected to be honest.

Made a simple display base with some thin board, Black card and sheet perspex, with a few small pics and brief description under the perspex. Got a Club Night in a week or so, got something to display the model on now.

100_3356_zpswwuk4aqz.jpg

100_3357_zpskbrlwif7.jpg

100_3354_zpsahzitwpo.jpg

100_3353_zpsrbhjbgja.jpg

100_3355_zpst6jw8dxk.jpg

B)

• Like 29

Beautiful! :Tasty: that certainly looks museum standard and should be displayed at lots of shows, if that is possible Neil. :thumbsup:

I have the "Balls Three" conversion set, for the X-15 trials, but I've not had the courage to attempt it yet. :shrug: Your build has given me new inspiration! :winkgrin:

Mike

Absolutely stunning!!!!

And I learned a new word as well, effulgent! :cool:

Seriously Neil, we need you back making those resin bits and bobs though!! I've got two 1/32 Tornados and only one flap and slat set... :(