B-52'H', Something colourful.

Neil

Thanks for the replies.

The objective was to have an enjoyable build, and not to get too wrapped up in details and modifications, and that is pretty much how it turned out. (Even though I put it aside and almost forgot about it for approx 18 months!). It made a nice change just to do a few improvements here and there, and not go down the ultra-detailed or overly accurate route.

Just a few tweaks can make a difference, such as the rebuilt flaps and small changes to the nacelles. Also noticed that the triangular look to the undercarriage doors was too broad, so rubbed down the edges of those to make them a little more 'pointed' in appearance.

What I really think sets the model off though is the colour scheme, when I saw pics of this B-52, I really wanted to build it, such a striking looking aircraft. Quite chuffed with how it turned out.

There are a few issues with the overall accuracy of the kit, but they do not necessarily have to be corrected to enjoy building it, and end up with an attractive model.

Regarding the real aircraft, 60-0006 was to become the 86th B-52 to be lost, while serving with the 17th BW at Wright-Patterson AFB on 30th May 1974, it crashed on approach because of apparent rudder and elevator failure.

100_3360_zpsxgfhjfld.jpg

Thanks again for the comments. :)

B)

• Like 20

Great build Neil and super work on the paint and the weathering of the Dayglo.

Glad my technique helped out!

I have a couple of Minicraft Buffs and your build has got me more inspired about them.

Thanks and once again super build!

Awesome. I like your comments about building kits to different 'standards'. The most important element is enjoyment, other things can follow. Love the look of the colour scheme.

• 2 years later...

Been a while since I completed this build, but Gary (mungo1974) reminded me of these couple of pics on FB last night. May aswell add them here too, makes a good comparison to the real B-52 in flight, especially as it is also in formation with Vulcan XH535. Makes a neat couple of images.

16830624_10212602950694402_2937621465150

zBWVgtJ%20-%20Copy_zpsu7uy1bzl.jpg

B)

Edited by Neil
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 21/02/2017 at 11:18 AM, 71chally said:

Superb build and in a really nice finish there Neil.

Cracking shots with the Vulcan as well.

You mention that your B-52 was the 86th lost, in 1974, that's quite a sobering thought.

According to somebody over on ARC, all seven crew members survived the crash!  

B)

• Like 1