Spitfire PR XIX seat belts

Seawinder

I apologize if this has already been discussed. The Xtradecal 1/48 sheet has markings for planes as seen in 1945, circa 1950, and 1955. I assume planes in 1945 were fitted with Sutton harnesses in the standard light beige color, but what about 1950 and beyond?

Thanks!

Pip

ZB in pale blue post Oct.1946,prior to that (from Apr'45 IIRC)Sutton QS.

On the QS,the cables securing the shoulder straps ran down behind the seat

t'wixt it tand the upper armor anchoring to the frame,the ZB's thru a slot

and behind the upper armor.

IIRC,XIX's never had the beige early Q type Sutton.

Edited by Miggers

• 3 years later...

I came across this thread today, having forgotten that I had initiated it a few years ago. I'm finally starting a build of the Airfix 1:48 Spitfire XIX and still have questions about the seat belts. Based on Edgar's statement above, it appears that the plane I'm modeling had the Sutton harness. Assuming that's correct, here's my present question: how far back in the fuselage did the shoulder harness cable go, and how did it get there? The belts clearly went through the slot in the triangular armor plate, but unlike in fighter variants, the next bulkhead (Airfix's part no. C8) is solid, with the camera compartment behind it.Was there an opening in that bulkhead that Airfix hasn't rendered, or is the raised circle molded (off center) near the top supposed to represent a hole?

While I'm at it, a further question if I may: When the XIX harness changed to the QS (or ZB) with the shoulder belts passing over and behind the seat back, did the slot in the armor plate remain, or was it eliminated?

Thanks for any light anyone can shed on this.

Pip

my best guess is that it would be similar to the mk VI and other pressurized variants. The VI's setup was discussed here:

if this is correct, it would mean that there are indeed holes in the bulkhead that the wires would have gone through.

I seem to recall that the XIX belts ran down the back of the seat/seat armour and were anchored low down in the fuselage but still within the pressurised compartment. I'm not near my references this weekend but Morgan & Shacklady might have a diagram.

Justin

2 hours ago, Bedders said:

I seem to recall that the XIX belts ran down the back of the seat/seat armour and were anchored low down in the fuselage but still within the pressurised compartment. I'm not near my references this weekend but Morgan & Shacklady might have a diagram.

Justin

Thanks (and to Elger -- hope all is well with you, my friend!). Having the belts go behind the seat/armor seems the most plausible to me as well, especially if the cockpit was pressurized.

Hello Seawinder!

The PR.XIX in the Linkoping Museum (in Sweden) has beige coloured seat belts. Shoulder belts pass through a slot in the armour plate. Above the oxygen bottles the two shoulder belts are sewn together and only one belt runs backwards. When viewed above the belts form a letter "Y". The tail end is attached to a quadruple metal plate. A simple metal wire is attached to this plate and the wire passes the rear pressure bulkhead.

Some very good photos of this PR.XIX can be found on Spitfiresite.

Best Regards,

Antti

7 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Hello Seawinder!

The PR.XIX in the Linkoping Museum (in Sweden) has beige coloured seat belts. Shoulder belts pass through a slot in the armour plate. Above the oxygen bottles the two shoulder belts are sewn together and only one belt runs backwards. When viewed above the belts form a letter "Y". The tail end is attached to a quadruple metal plate. A simple metal wire is attached to this plate and the wire passes the rear pressure bulkhead.

Some very good photos of this PR.XIX can be found on Spitfiresite.

Best Regards,

Antti

Aha! So it is in fact as Edgar stated. I wonder how the wire gets through the rear pressure bulkhead without causing loss of pressure. I suppose there must be some sort of seal, and the wire doesn't generally move fore and aft through the hole. Thanks for the clarification.