Revell / Matchbox HMS Tiger - 1:700 scale +++ Completed +++

First post for this GB subject - photo's aren't uploaded yet but I made a start on it today during my lunch hour at work.

First hour's work saw most of the hull put together with little trouble so I'm hoping for a nice trouble free build OOB.

We shall see....

Edited by Bonhoff
  • Like 1

Pictures.......

9406168513_52cb479ff8.jpg

The box'n'bits - Not many parts compared with modern kits - Parts are still stamped "Matchbox 1979" although place of manufacture now states "Made In......"

9408927604_8fe781aa2b.jpg

Hull went together with considerably less histrionics than some I've built.....

9406168515_d507d54b2a.jpg

Had to paint part of the lower rear decks prior to the helicopter flight deck going on - This was done using a 50.50 mix of Vallejo Medium Sea Grey and Off White which due to the low odour nature is a more acceptable choice working in the office :)

• Like 2

Here's a few pictures to help with painting and detailing.

Mike

HMS Tiger laid up in No.3 Basin, Portsmouth Harbour 1981 - in the background, HMS London, Fearless and Hardy

hms_tiger_main_turret.jpg

hms_tiger_in_1981.jpg

hms_tiger%20aft.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks - I built the Airfix one a very long time ago but that's the non helicopter version....but don't expect much in the way of additional detailing, I'm building it OOB

It's quite odd looking in this later guise - looks like two different hull halves nailed together - which I suppose it is...

It's progressed a bit further so I hope to get some pictures uploaded tomorrow

• 2 weeks later...

Update -

First coats of paint slapped on.....Revell Acrylics - First time I've used them for any area work and they're very thick and gloopy.

Unfortunately - the brushes I'm using at work have left brushmarks despte thinning the paint down with water - Hopefully a couple more coats will settle things down...

9504359082_58b686410d.jpg

9501558061_4560ce31e3.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Right - Pictures uploaded to the gallery.

Brief summary of final works -

Not keen on the Revell paints but work better when thinned down with Vallejo primer - Helped when I used some better brushes too.

Helicopter had to be repainted at the 11th hour when I realised /discovered that '70s RN helos are Blue/Grey - Used Tamiya Field Blue as an approximate match.

All glazing touched in using a fine marker pen. Recessed things such as crane and mast latticework had a couple of coats of Citadel Badab Black wash to give a bit of relief.

Thought the decals had silvered despite 2 coats of Humbrol Clear underneath but turns out it's the matt finish of the top of the decals themselves - Another coat of Clear sorted that out.

Other than that there weren't any real problems with construction but the kit certainly shows its age these days compared with modern offerings.

Couple of photos in the Gallery - Nothing special but at least it's finished.