++ Completed! ++ 1/48 Fly Macchi M.5 US Navy 1918

trickyrich

Gee this build snuck up on me, plus it seems it will the the 3rd GB in progress!! :mental::frantic:

Now for something completely different I’m going to build an Italian Seaplane for this build, a pretty little Macchi M.5.

Ok now before everyone gets excited and reminds me this is the US Navy GB, there is a little known fact that the US Navy flew Macchi M.5’s (loaned from the Italians) from December 1917. These aircraft flew as 263ᵃ Squadrigilia and were in operations against Austro-Hungarian forces over the Adriatic sea. In one of these encounters occurred on the 18th August 1918 where a US Navy Pilot Charles H. Hammann became the first US Navy pilot to receive the Medal of Honor.

Unfortunately I can’t find enough details on Hammann’s aircraft to replicate this aircraft but will build the other aircraft which was important in this event, Ensign George Ludlow’s Macchi M.13015 (he was rescued by Hammann after being shot down) which is included in the decal set.

DSCF0672_zps7a857328.jpg

DSCF0673_zps74fbd34a.jpg

Ludlow's is the bottom aircraft, very colourful.

DSCF0674_zps5549eefb.jpg

DSCF0675_zps286bfa90.jpg

DSCF0676_zps3c8b1792.jpg

oh and I can't forget the resin, gotta have resin in every build! :wicked:

DSCF0677_zps1411807c.jpg

This is part of the kit.

I won't be getting too carried away with internal detailing as most of it will be hidden, so this will very much be an out of the box build.

This will be my first big scale biplane so will be a bit nervous when it come to the rigging, all helpful advise appreciated.

Plus as an additional first this will be the first GB which has no added extras!

Been looking forward to building this right from the beginning, plus will be trying a few different painting techniques I’ve seen in other builds.

Looking forward to this one. For the rigging check out the BM WW I forum, there are a number of posts about rigging the will help you.

interesting subject and nice to have something with a real life hero attached to it.... found a picture of the plane you are building (ie the one that Ludlow flew) but it only shows him in the cockpit and the bottom of the engine.... really looking forward to this - you are a braver man than me ;-)

Excellent project, Sir!

Here is something which, if you have not found it already, you might find interesting.

http://www.wbhaviland.org/pc001.html

Wade through, and you will find some decent shots of the aeroplanes.

thanks a lot for the link, there are some great detail shots of the M.5, particularly of Ludlow's aircraft. Plus the stories with the rest of the photos are fantastic.

These will be very helpful, I do hope I can do it justice with this build.

Very interesting subject, that touches a number of lesser known topics: the presence of US pilots in Italy during WW1 is little known (the presence of ground troops is better known, mainly thanks to Hemingway) but the whole aspect of the war in the northern Adriatic sea is also something rarely discussed. Yet it was quite a large area where seaplane fighters in particular fought a bloody war.

ok off we go.....

This with should be a fairly simple build as I will be adding no extras....though the rigging will be enough trouble!

The model is nicely moulded in a lovely matt brown plastic which is easy to work with, a little bit flash and mould lines but that’s easy to fix.

First up was a cleanup of all the major bits and some test fitting, there are no locating pins but the fit is good.

DSCF0948_zps3cce7947.jpg

DSCF0947_zps5edd74b3.jpg

Not really sure what bits to start first so decided to build it sort of backwards with major painting first.

DSCF0946_zpsd9a5bd9d.jpg

My first attempt at a “wood grain” finish, sort of ok, but most of it will be finished.

The wings will be the most visible part so this will receive the most attention with painting. They were first undercoated before the base colours applied, the red is a bit bright for my liking. Being on canvas these colours should be a bit lighter and faded so will adjust in latter coats. Once the upper surfaces are painted the masking begins for the rim shading.

DSCF0945_zps88be095d.jpg

Should have one more update before I head back on shift.

• Like 1

Rich,

I just noticed this build. It will be a interesting one. You have started well, so keep up the good work. I will follow this one.

And good luck with all the wires.

Cheers

Rich,

I just noticed this build. It will be a interesting one. You have started well, so keep up the good work. I will follow this one.

And good luck with all the wires.

Cheers

Thanks Arnold,

Have a cunning plan for the rigging, I managed to "acquire" some fibre optic cable and once pulled apart (not an easy task at all) found I had some lovely fine and coloured strands. They almost perfect for the rigging as they don’t sag when cut to length and are pre-coloured. Have a few meters of each colour so think that should be enough.

Am currently on shift but have a small update which I will post tonight.

ok just a quick update, I took these photos just before I left home.

I have started the process of painting the wings, this being best done before anything else is started.

After the undercoat and basic colour coat I placed thin masking strips over top of all the ribs and outer edge of the wings. Took forever and it was only the lower surfaces.

DSCF0949_zpsd542bb7e.jpg

Next a light coat of black, trying(!!!) to cover the masks with a little bit of feather either side......well that was the intent!

DSCF0950_zps58799cf8.jpg

Once dry the masks were removed, leaving untouched main colour where the ribs and major structures of the wings would be.

DSCF0951_zps468a2021.jpg

Next the main colours will be laid lightly over the top, this will lighten the black and give a nice shadow effect in the spaces between the ribs. Finally lighter main colour will be laid finally over the top to help accentuate the ribbing........well that’s the plan.

Have seen this method done before and the effect is amazing, very life like. Unfortunately I have to what two weeks before I can get back to it.......

• Like 1

Thanks Arnold,

Have a cunning plan for the rigging, I managed to "acquire" some fibre optic cable and once pulled apart (not an easy task at all) found I had some lovely fine and coloured strands. They almost perfect for the rigging as they don’t sag when cut to length and are pre-coloured. Have a few meters of each colour so think that should be enough.

Am currently on shift but have a small update which I will post tonight.

I've used optical fibres before for rigging and they are a very good material.

Love the painting, looking forward to seeing the wings completed !

• 2 weeks later...

OK after a few weeks away I can finally get back to this.

I have pretty much finished the wings, though the red took a little bit extra work. The initial coat of red was a bit dark, so I lighten with a red/white mix, but this was a bit too light, so a slightly dark mix was required. The upper surfaces were done before a lighter blend was sprayed over them. Was not exactly what I was after but I was happy with the results.

DSCF0958_zps1f25a770.jpg

The upper surfaces are a bit dark and the photo doesn't show the shading to the best.

DSCF0957_zps72eee8d6.jpg

Again the phot doesn't do it justice, looks much better in the flesh. Started closing the fuselage, upper nose surface is finished and polished.

Next a clear coat then the decals, them a matt coat. Once this is done a coat of Tamiya “Smoke” over the decals to help blend them in.

A bit of work was carried out on the cockpit/fuselage and engine pod.

DSCF0959_zps1b916a42.jpg

Still quite a bit of work required here, but have made a start!

Will paint the fuselage white before adding the red strips......that will be fun!!

Still not looking forward to the rigging!!!!!