Wing to Wing with Spitfire MH434 (39 images)

My wonderful family (yes, including the in-laws!) clubbed together and bought me a "Wing to Wing" experience for my birthday with that wonderful OFMC Spitfire IX, MH434, flown by Nigel Lamb.

The "camera ship" was a Classic Wings DH Dragon Rapide (G-AKIF) from Duxford, and I had the best seat in the house (row one on the right).

My wife took pictures from the ground (and a great job she did, too, as she never takes pictures (not even with her iPhone!)

All in all, an amazing and memorable experience that I would recommend wholeheartedly. :thumbsup:

DSC_0015_zps49c307d2.jpg

DSC_0029_zpsfe34c45d.jpg

DSC_0037_zps1a058925.jpg

DSC_0041_zpsedb1cd13.jpg

DSC_0049_zps67068ecb.jpg

DSC_0059_zps1931e88c.jpg

DSC_0065_zps3b17cf1a.jpg

DSC_7085_zps5d10ef0f.jpg

DSC_7094_zps69d6d677.jpg

DSC_0066_zpsdebe1d31.jpg

DSC_0070_zpsb2ab3dbb.jpg

DSC_7105_zps203b10b6.jpg

DSC_7113_zps33dc9b88.jpg

DSC_7120_zps1b79671d.jpg

DSC_0074_zps51881913.jpg

DSC_0084_zps04a4ec57.jpg

DSC_0103_zpsd65c87dc.jpg

DSC_0111_zpsa8018f88.jpg

DSC_0116_zps860274a4.jpg

DSC_0138_zpsec99612e.jpg

DSC_0153_zps5da4fb90.jpg

DSC_0157_zps81f7991b.jpg

DSC_0165_zpsf7e9e048.jpg

DSC_0170_zps096d1f68.jpg

DSC_0177_zps50b38266.jpg

DSC_0194_zps61733cbb.jpg

DSC_0201_zpsa03ba33a.jpg

DSC_0209_zps2ab300d5.jpg

DSC_0227_zpsd77e1385.jpg

DSC_0233_zpscd1869ef.jpg

DSC_0236_zps9f84e7fa.jpg

DSC_0242_zpsb8a806a1.jpg

DSC_0254_zps4ecf563e.jpg

DSC_0290_zpsaebec381.jpg

DSC_0306_zpsecb93e10.jpg

DSC_0337_zpsf27f3f59.jpg

DSC_0340_zpsf50d235f.jpg

DSC_0345_zpsc3671c75.jpg

DSC_0361_zpse0bd9ca9.jpg

Thanks for looking. :photo:

• Like 4

Some cracking mid air photos there, totally different perspective than on the ground looking up taking pictures :goodjob:

Thanks very much. I agree that it was nice to see the beautiful machine in her natural habitat without craning the neck!

That looks like fun!

Dare I ask how much?

It sure was fun, and seemed to pass in the blink of an eye....

The experience was "only" £399!

I see she didnt get a photo of the head splitting grin which was no doubt plastered to your face the rest of the day :bleh:

Fantastic photos, im green with envy.

She did - but not for publication here! I'm pleased that you enjoyed the pictures.

Simply indredible photo's! :gobsmacked::thumbsup: You lucky man!

Thank you very much. I am still feeling lucky (and privileged) nearly 24 hours later!

Wow!

That's how I felt when '434 slipped alongside for the first time!

I can't even begin to describe how insanely jealous I am of you. That is the ACTUAL Spitfire I've always wanted to own since I was a nipper.

One day......

Did I say I was jealous?

Trevor

:wow:

Wow. Some impressive shots there, that is one amazing experience and I'm pleased to see the weather played along for you on the day. Thanks for posting the pics.

WOW!!!!!!

Thanks, Tony. I'm glad you liked them.

a dream come true!

You're not wrong! It nearly didn't happen though, as the week before Classic Wings called to say that a group had cancelled and the flight was no longer viable. They asked if I could swap to the Sunday before, but as I had tickets for RIAT, that was not an option. Fortunately, it all worked out (despite a questionable weather forecast!)

I can't even begin to describe how insanely jealous I am of you. That is the ACTUAL Spitfire I've always wanted to own since I was a nipper.

One day......

Did I say I was jealous?

Trevor

:wow:

Only twice, Trevor! :winkgrin: Glad you liked the pictures and good luck with your planned purchase!

Wow. Some impressive shots there, that is one amazing experience and I'm pleased to see the weather played along for you on the day. Thanks for posting the pics.

Thanks, Parabat. It was an amazing and memorable experience. I'm pleased that I didn't opt for the Action Stations flight in a JetRanger for my birthday last year, as the Dragon Rapide flight was part of the experience (and cheaper!)

A little update - I received an offer code from Photobox for a 30" x 20" poster print for the princely sum of £3.50 (+P&P). I ordered yesterday and it was delivered today in excellent condition in a very stout cardboard tube. How's that for service?

I have never enlarged any of my pictures to this size, so was interested to see if there was an degradation in image quality, but was very pleased to say that there wasn't.

This was the shot I chose:

DSC_0201_zpsa03ba33a.jpg

I have taken the print into the local gallery and the framing was significantly more than £3.50, but it was worth it for such a memorable birthday treat!

It will take pride of place in the downstairs cloakroom!

• Like 1

<<<<< I think that gent would be very pleased to know that "his" trusty steed is still bringing great pleasure.

Superb pics there you jammy hound :lol: .

I think you're right there, Miggers. I'm really pleased that you enjoyed the pictures. It really was a perfect present.

Oh you lucky person you!

Add me to the list of supremely jealous people. :) What a top present from your family! :pilot: And some great pictures to remember it all by. :)

I may have to start being a good lad myself and see what happens.. Or get a proper job. :frantic:

Thanks very much for your comments. Start saving (or being good!) because you really won't regret it!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wow! :coolio:

That's how I felt when she first appeared off the starboard side of the Dragon Rapide!

Modelling note

DSC_0194_zps61733cbb.jpg

Note that the 1/1 masking of the windscreen framing is far from neat and tidy, especially those overhead frames. They look like they were painted with a sponge :P

:rofl:

I don't know how I missed this thread. What a fantastic prezzie.

You've got some lovely images there. I bet you looked like the proverbial Cheshire Cat when you landed. :winkgrin:

Thanks Smiffy. It was definitely the best present I've ever received! I was beaming and very grateful after de-planing! :kissing2: