Cessna O-1 Bird Dog, `Ravens` Detachment, Laos, Mid 1960s

Very nice! Didn´t know that there was an 1/48 kit of the O-1 and never heard of that brand. Wish Airfix would re-release their 1/72 kit and also their O-2 Skymaster!

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

Great build with your Bird Dog  like the paint work not to over done your "Nam " collection is growing do you think we will see some rotary aircraft ?

Well done Russ.

Guy

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice Russ.

I've read "The Ravens" many times, it's one of my favourite books and you have done a great job of capturing the look of "the most formidable weapon known to man".

Craig.

Thanks Craig, Yeah it`s a great read isn`t it, one of my favourites too

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, F4u said:

Great build with your Bird Dog  like the paint work not to over done your "Nam " collection is growing do you think we will see some rotary aircraft ?

Well done Russ.

Guy

Thanks Guy, actually, I`ve done a couple:

I`m also trying to convert an Academy CHiPs Hughes 500 into a CIA  Hughes 500P, `The Quiet One` at present.

Cheers Russ

45 minutes ago, russ c said:

Thanks Guy, actually, I`ve done a couple:

I`m also trying to convert an Academy CHiPs Hughes 500 into a CIA  Hughes 500P, `The Quiet One` at present.

Cheers Russ

Hi Russ,

Thanks for sharing your choppers I did not know you had done them your banana is great as is all of them.

Guy

Edited by F4u
  • Like 1

I'm glad I found this RFI. The whole Laos/Cambodia aspect of the wider conflict is a fascinating area that seems to be seldom modelled.

I am another that didn't know a Bird Dog existed in 1/48. 

A superb build, everything just right!

:goodjob: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

21 hours ago, WildeSau75 said:

Lovely build - like this bird and you did it justice.

Is it right that these rockets are more for marking a target or object rather than to destroy it?

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks Michael, yeah the rockets were used for just marking the targets ( on most occasions ), the destroying would be done by aircraft with a larger bomb load

• Like 1

1 hour ago, russ c said:

Thanks Michael, yeah the rockets were used for just marking the targets ( on most occasions ), the destroying would be done by aircraft with a larger bomb load

Thanks Russ - guess I never saw this kit in any of my hobby shops. Would consider getting it.

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I understand there's a new 1/48 O-1 to be released in the next 12 months.  I think Roden is the manufacturer (but I could be wrong on the last bit).  I do have one of these in the stash, though...hmmm, maybe time to give it a try.  The owner of the local Papa John's franchise here flew US Army O-1s in Vietnam - it might be fun to build a bird (dog) that he flew.

• Like 1