Airfix b26?

8 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

There are quite a few people complaining about the Airfix 2018 release schedule and the lack of new tool kits.  So far I haven't heard a single person complain about the re-release of the B-26. :thumbsup: 

I wouldn't mind having a crack at converting one to the early short wingspan version.

It's probably easier doing that than trying to build the Valom kit.

13 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

So far I haven't heard a single person complain about the re-release of the B-26

I think anyone who's ever made it or at least got it understands why, 'tis a great kit.

I fancy doing a post war target tug/drone controller or whatever (the grey, red and yellow ones)

Edited by Wez

Airfix B-26! "Gawd bless the old girl!" Glad to have her back.

Do the dusty corners of the walnut between my ears recall reading that the B-26 was a favourite of the designer, so he went all out on the kit? Sure I read that somerwhere.

As someone who volunteered for nearly 20 years to a museum more or less devoted to the B-26, I'll certainly be buying a few of these. I suppose "Flak Bait" was the obvious choice and having had a few pints with an ex crew member of Flak Bait, then I'm duty bound to build one. Nice to see a Rivenhall aircraft too. Explored that place a few times. Point of trivia. There's a very rare tree that dates back to WW2 still present next to one of the T2s at Rivenhall. Apparently, it's the only one of it's kind in the UK. Go on....ask me why! :)

Steve

26 minutes ago, IanC said:

The Airfix B-26 is a bit like the late Queen Mum.

No-one had a bad word to say about her.. :lol:

Agree on both parts. Had the pleasure of meeting the late Queen Mum when I collected a broken down car belonging to a friend of hers at Newmarket Races. She gave me a good tip too came in at 16 to 1.

Back to the B-26. I remember building that and having a great time. I kept it for ages (at a time when most of my models lasted a fortnight or less). I can feel a nostalgia purchase looming. That artwork is superb!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Airfix B-26! "Gawd bless the old girl!" Glad to have her back.

Do the dusty corners of the walnut between my ears recall reading that the B-26 was a favourite of the designer, so he went all out on the kit? Sure I read that somerwhere.

As someone who volunteered for nearly 20 years to a museum more or less devoted to the B-26, I'll certainly be buying a few of these. I suppose "Flak Bait" was the obvious choice and having had a few pints with an ex crew member of Flak Bait, then I'm duty bound to build one. Nice to see a Rivenhall aircraft too. Explored that place a few times. Point of trivia. There's a very rare tree that dates back to WW2 still present next to one of the T2s at Rivenhall. Apparently, it's the only one of it's kind in the UK. Go on....ask me why! :)

Steve

Go on, then! What's the tree in question?

18 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

Go on, then! What's the tree in question?

Sorry! I just checked my notes. It's a bush, not a tree! 

However, during a visit to the airfield by the Royal Horticultural Society, they identifed a type of Willow bush not usually native to these shores. Apparently, this bush, which has long straight stems, was used by the Navajo indians for making their arrow shafts. As it was known that some Navajo Indians were used by the 397th BG as radio operators, the theory is that one of them may have planted a cutting next to the T2. In the same area, a couple of Florida Oaks were also found...equally not native to these shores. They're still there apparently! 

A totally useless bit of trivia....but slightly B-26 related! 

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, fightersweep said:

I'd heard that too.

I finished an Airfix B-26 for the Classic British Kits SIG at Telford in November, so my knowledge of the kit is quite fresh.   It is a nice kit with an excellent interior, and mostly very fine raised panel lines (some panels are recessed).

There are a few things to be aware of, though:

*Very thick wing trailing edges and wingtips.

*Blunt and short prop hubs

*Prop blades have twist increasing towards the tip rather than reducing.  (compare it to any other prop job and it looks really weird).

*Air intake below the main engine openings  are shallowly recessed; they could usefully be opened up and the top edge of the intake lined with thin plastic sheet.

*It needs a LOT of nose weight, and the gear legs are quite vulnerable (ask me how I know).

*Transparencies have a reasonable fit, but are quite thick.

It was a nice kit to build and I'd be happy to build another - after I finish the Hasegawa one in my stash!

Regards

Martin