Removing paint from canopies...

mackem01

OK, been progressing my Lysander and I'd arrived at the worst stage. I hate painting canopies at the best of time and looking at all

the masking involved with this I thought I'd chance my arm and go free-hand................BIG MISTAKE!

It looked OK when I started but on reflection it's :shit: I haven't done too much and was wondering how I could remove it. the only options I'm aware of may craze the canopy. BTW the paint is a humbrol matt enamel.

T.I.A......

No, I did not give it a coat of Klear, I find that stuff hard to come by. What are the advantages of using it - wouldn't it go yellow?

So, I'll have to try this power spray. Thanks Perry, thanks Nigel.

The only way I can think of is polishing or replacing with a vacuform canopy :-(

But maybe for the future you like to try another way to "paint" such framework canopies. Get a solid decal sheet and spray it the interior colour first then (if you like) a coat of black and finally the outer colour. Then cut the decal film into stripes with the same width as the canopy frame and place these decal stripes over the framework. I have not tried this myself as I prefer to mask the canopy but it sounds easy and you will get very clean edges. I know it is not the answer to your question but maybe a way to go next time.

Rene

The only way I can think of is polishing or replacing with a vacuform canopy :-(

But maybe for the future you like to try another way to "paint" such framework canopies. Get a solid decal sheet and spray it the interior colour first then (if you like) a coat of black and finally the outer colour. Then cut the decal film into stripes with the same width as the canopy frame and place these decal stripes over the framework. I have not tried this myself as I prefer to mask the canopy but it sounds easy and you will get very clean edges. I know it is not the answer to your question but maybe a way to go next time.

Rene

I've used this method for canopy frames on vac form canopies where the frames are too in distinct to mask properly. I use Kleer to bond them properly.

Duncan B

If you have just painted over the frame lines and onto the part thats meant to be clear use a wooden toothpick or cocktail stick to scrape the paint away that you don't want.

HTH,

Bill....

"may get the canopy going cloudy using powerspray" - for some reason the quotation function is not working for me at the moment

Appologies if I have given duff advice. I have only ever used it on opaque plastic so can't vouch for this effect - I am surprised though and I am a materials engineer. Certainly worth doing a test first on some of the sprue if you stll have it. I also doubt IPA will strip off enamel paint, I have found it strips off Klear quite nicely though.

I've some experimentation to do I think. I'll be trying power spray (Nigel) with the cocktail stick (BillyB) and let you know how it goes.

And I will be trying Caerbannog's method at some point.

Thanks for all the help...

Personally and its up to you if you use it, you don't need to go to the expense of the Fairy power spray.

The cheap aerosol oven cleaner you get in pound shops, Poundstretcher, BnM Bargains etc, have worked fine for me. No effect on the plastic styrene or clear parts. Even used them to strip die cast cars, again windows, wheels and plastic interiors are fine.

Chris

**UPDATE** cheap oven cleaner, toothpicks, amd an old toothbrush.............just the job :thumbsup: Thanks peeps.

I now intend to spray some decal sheet I have and cut it into thin strips, if I can find some Johnson's Klear, do

I dip the canopy before, after, or both. Your opinions very welcome.

Thanks for the help.

• 10 months later...

Mr Muscle oven cleaner for me.Actually anything that involves Caustic Soda will do the job without affecting the plastic.

May I refer you to an earlier answer please.

Wot Nigel :ditto: told you works rather well too.

• Like 1

Try fresh brake fluid, not used or old fluid.

I had some paint that seemed impervious to: fairy power spray, caustic soda, bleach, dettol. Eventually got it off with fresh brake fluid. The fluid seems to loose its paint removing properties quite quickly though.

As you have found out acetone disolves plastic Stu , i swear by Bio Strip 20 for taking paint off . It's brilliant stuff , slap a bit on , leave for around an hour and wash . It looks like it's had no affect on the paint but when you rinse it under warm water hey presto . It's reusable as well .