"Black Flight" Sopwith Triplanes

TerryJones

Back to those old war birds :)

The arrival of the Sopwith Triplane was a great shock to the Germans, it was faster than the formidable Albatros DIII and could out climb and out tun it. In just three months “B Flight” of Naval 10 claimed 82 German aircraft. Better known as “Black flight” due to their black painted fins and cowling these “Tripehounds” were flown by Canadians. The greatest exponent of the Sopwith Triplane was the flight commander of "Black Flight” Raymond Collishaw who scored 34 of his eventual 60 victories with it. Each Triplane had a different name painted on the fuselage,
“Black Maria” N5490 “C” was flown by Collishaw 34 ( +26 with various other squadrons) Died 1976
“Black Sheep” N5376 “N” FSL Gerald E Nash 6 - POW 26/6/17 - Died 1976
“Black Roger” N5483 “R” FSL Ellis V Reid 19 - KIA 28/7/17
“Black Prince” N5487 “A” FSL William M Alexander 16 ( +5 with No.210sqn RAF ) Died 1988
“Black Death” N5466 “S” FSL John E Sharman 7 (+1 with 3 wing) - KIA 22/7/17
"Black Flight" Oil on canvas
76e02b55-de00-4876-8463-6ceccba6cf38_zps
Thanks for looking guys,
Cheers,
Terry
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

This is destined to be a much reproduced depiction of the Black Flight. Well done. I especially like your crisp depiction of the aircraft against the wispy clouds and slightly less distinct land below.

Coincidently, I am building a Sopwith Camel for the FAA/RNAS Group Build here at Britmodler.

I'll be building one of 8 Squadron RNAS as flown by CD Booker. Drop by and take a look.

Congartulations.

Thanks Richard :) Found the Triplane you are working on. From what you say there seems to be a lot of additional work for you to get it accurate. Good luck with it and find your camera to take some tasty pics when it's done ;)

Cheers,

Terry

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, outstanding. You must have the patience of a saint to put all those triplanes on there in such similar, but not quite the same, attitudes! It works, though - it really gives the feel of each aircraft bumping and bouncing round in the formation.

Jon

• Like 1

Thanks Jon :) Did a Red Arrows painting a couple of years back, nine of them all flying in the same direction, I was fed up after four! The Tripes didn't seem as difficult after doing them!

Terry

Edited by TerryJones