Westland Whirlwind HAS7 - 824NAS 1963

Whirlwind HAS.7 - 824 Naval Air Squadron, HMS Centaur 1963.

Whirlwindmodel003.jpg

This is the Italeri H-19 kit with the Rotorcraft conversion to make a Whirlwind HAS7. This was a far more involved conversion than I was expecting - I sort of had the idea that the Whirlwind 7 was the same as a Sikorsky H-19 with a few changes here and there - wrong! The model has more resin than plastic. The whole tail boom is resin (though you could use the kit supplied version if you could be bothered to remove some detail), and the whole lower fuselage below the floor line is also resin. This was because the Mk7 had the facility to carry a torpedo semi-enclosed in the lower fuselage, which required the floor line to be raised as well as a new under-fuselage profile. The resin fitted pretty well overall. There was much PE provided also. The kit moulded-in engine cooling vents all had to go and were replaced with PE, as well as various footsteps, handholds, windscreen wipers, etc. A replacement white metal undercarriage is also provided - much needed because with all that resin at the back a fair old dose of lead was needed in the nose to keep it on its wheels.

I would have liked the conversion kit instructions to have been much clearer, though. In particular, I only discovered fairly late on that I needed to remove some windscreen framing from the transparencies. I suppose I should have done a bit more research myself, then I wouldn't have been in that position!

Kit decals were good - lots of choice. I was always going to do a yellow/oxford blue scheme and didn't want the kit provided example so went for an 824 NAS example from the early 60s. As usual, and enjoyable experience.

Whirlwindmodel009.jpg

Whirlwindmodel007.jpg

Whirlwindmodel006.jpg

Whirlwindmodel005.jpg

Whirlwindmodel002.jpg

Whirlwindmodel001.jpg

• Like 9

Hi Chris, Glad you like the conversion kit, you've made a splendid job of your model, I think it's the first one I've seen iin OB and Yellow. Thanks also for your comment re the kit, the inclusion of the tail was Ali, he found out it was almost impssible to find the cranked tail kit in the UK.

Colin @ ROTORrcraft

hcoptergb_zps20a09ba41_zpsfbccc826.jpg

Lovely build and I've also learned something. I've build the Airfix 1/72 kit before and thought it was fairly accurate but went back to check my sources after seeing your build. I hadn't realised that the tail boom has a bit of a taper to it on both top and bottom as the Airfix kit certainly doesn't, but having looked at pictures of the real thing you've got it bang on. You live and learn....

Edited by goggsy

Lovely build and I've also learned something. I've build the Airfix 1/72 kit before and thought it was fairly accurate but went back to check my sources after seeing your build. I hadn't realised that the tail boom has a bit of a taper to it on both top and bottom as the Airfix kit certainly doesn't, but having looked at pictures of the real thing you've got it bang on. You live and learn....

The airfix kit is accurate, The Tail boom was modified on later models of whirlwinds to introduce a tail down taper. the Airfix kit depicts the earlier configuration.

Selwyn

• Like 1

The Airix kit depicts the Mk21/22's (S-55/H-16) with the early straigh tail boom, on later types the boom was drooped to give clearance for the main rotorblades when making flared landings (tail down). The Italeri kit is available as both types (straight and drooped plus a kit with the floats), the Airfix kit also suffers from being slightly under scale but still worth building.

Colin

hcoptergb_zps20a09ba41_zpsfbccc826.jpg

• Like 1