Caudron C.714C1 Cyclone, Azur, 1:32

I would like to present my first (and still the only one) model in 1:32 scale. This is Caudron C.714C1 Cyclone, flown by Andrzej Niewiara, GC 1/145, Dreux airfield, June 1940. Azure kit, althought produced in “short run” technology, has nicely detailed surface, fits well and is easy to build. The only aftermarket parts used were correct front cowling (resin, Department of Correction) and Montex painting masks. Kit was painted with Pactra, Tamiya and Mr. Hobby acrylics. National markings were painted using Montex mask. Wash was done using artistic oil paints.

Caudron C.714 Cyclone was a light fighter plane, build by Caudron - Renault in late 30’s of previous century. C.714 was developed from air racers, which resulted in uncommon overal apperance to other fighters of these times. The plane was powered by 12-piston, inline, air cooled (!) Renault engine. Serial production started in summer 1939. C.714’s were used only by Polish and Finish pilots.

On 18 May 1940, 35 Caudrons were delivered to the Polish Warsaw Squadron, the Groupe de Chasse polonais I/145. Polish pilots confirmed that the plane has poor performance, mainly due to underpowering. French Minister of War ordered that Caudrons to be withdrawn from active service. Highly motivated Polish pilots ignored this order and used Caudrons against Luftwaffe, scoring 12 confirmed victories (even with Bf-109’s and 110’s among them). 6 Cyclones were delivered to Finland to fight against Soviets during Winter War, but as i know, were not used in real combat. One of these planes survived to our times and is currently in restoration.

DSCF5360Kopiowanie.jpg
DSCF5355Kopiowanie.jpg
DSCF5392Kopiowanie.jpg
DSCF5404Kopiowanie.jpg
DSCF5398Kopiowanie.jpg
DSCF5389Kopiowanie.jpg
Edited by Arcturus
  • Like 1

Wow ! very nice build. Great paint job. This remind me that an original one is sleeping somewhere in the french "reserve" at LeBourget.

Thanks for sharing.

Olivier

Thanks, guys!

Great model of a somehow ill-looking aircraft (to my eyes at least ...) , very nice paint job.

Was this scheme painted freehand-?

Thanks for showing,

Roman

Ill-looking - nice description :) One more picture, showing unusual proportions:

DSCF5411Kopiowanie.jpg

Yes, I painted this scheme freehand. Model is big enough in this scale :)

Really great job, first one of these I have seen completed in any scale.

Can I ask a question question any idea how they delivered the aircraft to Finland or even why ? If they were poor in France I can't imagine freezing conditions and poor airfields improved matters, unless beggars couldnt be choosers, they had lots of other more numerous and better types they could have been sent instead.

Great paint finish but agree with other comments something about the design just doesn't look right

Cheers Pat

Not an aircraft type I'm familiar with.

Nice to see it , great model and a great finish.

Thanks for all your kind words!

Can I ask a question question any idea how they delivered the aircraft to Finland or even why ? If they were poor in France I can't imagine freezing conditions and poor airfields improved matters, unless beggars couldnt be choosers, they had lots of other more numerous and better types they could have been sent instead.

The idea was to support FInland during Winter War with the planes and the pilots (e.g French and Polish), so the deal was not only about the machines. It looks more logical than sending only planes. But sending Caudrons, wooden and not tested in real war conditions, to frozen Finland, was definitely strange decision...

Really great job, first one of these I have seen completed in any scale.

Cheers Pat

It's a good point, and I suspect beggars not being choosers came into it but we must also bear in mind that the Finns were famous for doing quite a lot with not very much - the Brewster Buffalo being a case in point!