1:72 Supermarine Scimitar F.1

Just gets better and better!

We've got two 'abandanado' dogs, nearly got a third last night, a pup that someone had dumped outside the village. too shy to get in the car and ran off into the forest.

More progress! First, I decided to finish off the weathering on the bottom prior to attaching the wings and all that other stuff. I figured it would be a lot easier to do it now, and especially to photograph it now!

100_4030

Next, I added all the stuff that was left. Worse, I got so carried away in nearing the finish line, I forgot about taking more pictures. This means the only photos left to show are those of the finished model. :):):)

A whole bunch of those photos are here in the Ready For Inspection forum, as well as in the FAA Group Build Gallery. Here are a couple of shots to finish out the build thread!

100_4033

100_4038

100_4041

100_4057

100_4046

This has been a great Group Build, and thanks for the comments and conversation along the way. Can't wait to start the next one! No, wait, actually the next one has already started...well, let's get on with it then!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

Absolutely stunning work Bill!! :mike:

It has to be one of your nicest yet and they're all pretty amazing!! It's hard to believe it's only 1/72 and not in a bigger scale.

Another amazing job well done! :thumbsup:

On 10/2/2013 at 21:31, David H said:

Wicked cool build, Bill!!

That makes 2 CMR Scimitars in the same day. Don Hinton posted pics of his over on Hyperscale today.

Good luck with the Revell Liberator!

david

Thanks. Do you have a link for Don's build? I'd love to see it. I had a quick look at Hyperscale but couldn't find it.

Cheers,

Bill

• 1 year later...

Hi Bill, I've just found this thread on the 'net. Amazing build quality & good subject matter too!

I have recently purchased the CMR kit of the F1 Scimitar. This holds a personal significance for me, as my late Dad used to fly them. He may even have flown the 803 squadron aircraft you have modelled. At the time, I believe pilots weren't necessarily allocated aircraft (hence the lack of pilot name on the side) & were maybe allocated them at the pilots briefing before each sortie.

My main reason for this post is to ask what the main differences are between plastic & resin kit building. I have recently started "building" again & have been practicing with various Tamiya F1 cars, to get my skill levels back up. Is there special paint required for resin kits?

As this kit has such a personal significance to me, I want to make a good job of it & don't want to make any schoolboy errors!

Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated,

Cheers, Phil.

Hi Phil,

Very interesting that your Dad may have flown this specific aircraft. The CMR kit of the Scimitar is absolutely beautiful, but it's not a "shake and bake" build. As with most resin kits, you have to be quite precise (and careful) when removing the resin parts from their casting blocks. You will be doing a lot of sanding of the edges to ensure a proper fit, so it's really important to test fit continually while you're sanding. Resin sands quite easily, which makes it possible to sand too much if you're not careful. Also, when sanding you should wear a respirator or mask to prevent the resin dust getting into your lungs.

Speaking of getting a good fit, you'll also find that the resin parts typically don't have any locator pins, similar to a lot of "short run" kits. You must be take care when aligning the parts and gluing.

Which brings us to the big difference between injection moulded and resin kits - the adhesive. Glues that you use on styrene plastic models don't work on resin. A nice, capillary action liquid cement just rolls right off and has no effect whatsoever. This means that you have to use adhesives like superglue and/or epoxy. I use superglue, and it's a good idea to use a slower curing version so you have some time to align parts before the superglue sets up. Superglue can also be used to fill seams, but I've also found that the putty I use (an automotive glazing putty) works just fine. I've not tried fillers like Milliput.

I use the same paints that I use on plastic models - Gunze and Tamiya acrylics. The parts should be cleaned and primed first, to give the paints a better grip. I use Alclad grey primer, as it not only is a good primer it's also a microfiller and will help make the surface smoother.

I haven't read through this Scimitar WIP in a while, but I probably documented each step of the build along the way. Once you start building the kit, feel free to ask any questions that come up! :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks Bill, that's really useful info. I'm probably going to wait a little while before I attempt this kit. In fact, I may buy another resin aircraft to "practice" with. Her indoors may have something to say about that though!

I've had a quick look through some photos & uploaded them to photo bucket. Although, they would've probably been more helpful during your build!

http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/phil4nic/library/

Hopefully the link will work!?!

If my Scimitar starts to go wrong, I may just model it on the one that's caught the net! :)

Once again, thanks for the advice,

All the best, Phil.