trumpeter/hobbyboss bad press? are they this bad

thepureness

Guys - can we lay off the ludicrous generalisations please, and same with the hissy-fit over-reactions too... That way leads to locked topics & warnings :shrug:

I'm afraid that on further reflection that we find that Pigsty's comment was just so totally at variance with the stance of the site that it cannot be allowed to stand, so I'm removing it. Here at Britmodeller we pride ourselves on welcoming all modellers, with the exception of those that can't behave politely and respectfully toward others. :)

...I think that you will find that there arent really that many.

As a percentage of the aircraft they've put out, I'd have to disagree there. The really good ones are in a distinct minority. Their ship and AFV kits are much better. I seriously doubt it's the same people (CAD designers) doing them.

Trumpeter are one of my favourite manufacturers simply because they've released so many wonderful subjects in my fave scale!

They can be a little hit and miss accuracy wise though - and I find that frustrating! (don't get me going on Lightnings) ;)

As has been said - no kit is absolutely perfect though. Choose some subjects you are interested in and then do some online research/ask around before you buy.

On holiday today and have their F-117A out of the box - probably the most accurate 'Stealth Fighter' yet tooled in any scale - very nicely done! (and half price at Wonderland at present!).

Iain (who gets cross at 'Chicoms' jibes on certain other forums)

• Like 2

I've only built one Trumpeter model thus far (the 1/48 Su-15TM) and I think I can safely say not one part of it is accurate (where 'accurate' means I can see the difference between the model part and a photo).

Hasn't stopped me buying a ton more though! In China they're a bargain...

Jon

Ok so would you say that 90% of American modellers are happy with the HB F-80, the Trumpeter/HB F-100s, the Trumpeter/HB A-7s ?

On the basis of what I've seen posted here and at ARC, it seems the comparison between the MiG-21/23 kits and the F-80/F-100/A-7 is a bit unfair. The latter are obviously wrong in multiple areas, but the former seem to have relatively minor errors. Has any stuff been posted that I've missed that shows the MiGs have shape errors on the scale of the F-100 and A-7 intakes?

Thanks

Jon

Well I think it does not help to view at the Company to decide on their individual products. Most companies have a somewhat mixed bag when it comes to their kits. As has been said before Trumpeter and Hobby Boss have some very fine kits... and some less nice. So the lesson I have learned is to look out for reviews before I spend my money... as I did with their Tornado... I added the Eduard Big Edition and some resin stuff to my basket as well :poo:

Speaking as an American, the problem I have with Trumpeter is not that it is Chinese, but that it is a subsidiary of a "company" owned by the Army of the People's Republic of China. Every bit of Trumpeter's profit goes to support said army. Therefore I refuse to buy their products (which in many cases are far over-engineered with more parts than necessary, some of which will never be seen once the model is completed).

I believe the same is true of HobbyBoss.

There are racists in this country but I am not one. I have many Chinese friends and a few Chinese relatives by marriage.

Edited by Space Ranger

Speaking as an American, the problem I have with Trumpeter is not that it is Chinese, but that it is a subsidiary of a "company" owned by the Army of the People's Republic of China. Every bit of Trumpeter's profit goes to support said army. Therefore I refuse to buy their products (which in many cases are far over-engineered with more parts than necessary, some of which will never be seen once the model is completed).

How do you know this any proof????

• Like 2

I am really interested to know where this information comes from. Can you point me to some sources?

Thanks

Jon

• Like 2

I've only built one Trumpeter model thus far (the 1/48 Su-15TM) and I think I can safely say not one part of it is accurate (where 'accurate' means I can see the difference between the model part and a photo).

Hasn't stopped me buying a ton more though! In China they're a bargain...

Jon

Hi Jon,

how about sharing a list of your chinese local hobby shops here on Brit Modeller? I have been to China last month with a long shopping list and came back with zero. One shop was mainly R/C stuff the next was closed ... Hong Kong is easier but Shanghai for example is still a white spot on my map after all these visits.

Rene

• Like 1

I'm afraid that on further reflection that we find that Pigsty's comment was just so totally at variance with the stance of the site that it cannot be allowed to stand.

Ah. Sorry 'bout that, boss. That being so I'm going to keep schtum for the rest of this topic.

There are racists in this country but I am not one. I have many Chinese friends and a few Chinese relatives by marriage.

well the chinese tanks should be spot for detail then :winkgrin:

We seem to be rambling round in rumour and hearsay land at the moment. I suggest we stick to the topic in hand, and keep it polite and respectful into the bargain. Beware of the factoid. :fraidnot:

Factoid - an internet rumour that is repeated often enough so that it is believed by many to be true.

• Like 1

Hi Jon,

how about sharing a list of your chinese local hobby shops here on Brit Modeller? I have been to China last month with a long shopping list and came back with zero. One shop was mainly R/C stuff the next was closed ... Hong Kong is easier but Shanghai for example is still a white spot on my map after all these visits.

Rene

I left China a couple of weeks ago and only knew my city (Zhengzhou). If you have the facility to read Chinese characters on your computer, this is what I suggest you do:

1. Go to www.taobao.com

2. Enter a kit you're interested in in the search box (e.g. I'd be searching for '1/48 A3D Skywarrior' at the moment). You can increase your results by using the Chinese names of companies (Trumpeter = 小号手; Hobbyboss is just Hobbyboss (there is no Chinese name for it as far as I know); Kinetic = 天力).

3. From the results filter for the city or province you are interested in. This tab is a little button right about the middle of the screen with '所在地'. Click on this and then find the city or province you're interested in. Obviously you need to know the Chinese characters for this; I guess you can use google translate (i.e. input 'Shanghai' and copy and paste the result). This filters to the sellers in that place.

4. Next to the little bouncing blue icon is the name of the internet shop selling that item. Click it and go to their online storefront. If you're lucky they'll have an address of a shop you can visit. Some are online only, but some will be happy to have walk-in customers. Here is an example: http://maimodel.taobao.com/shop/view_shop.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.5.Pbw2rh&user_number_id=63229289 Obviously if you can't read Chinese it's all a bit Chinese, but Google translate should get you to what you need. In this case, you can easily find a map showing where the shop is using translate. If you're in China regularly I imagine you have local contacts who can help you.

Best

Jon

• Like 2

I have built about 10 or so Trumpeter kits. It's fair to say they are mixed, especially the early ones such as the Mig 15. It's also true that their research has let them down, as in their spitfires, but I really get Miffed when the same myths get recirculated, without any corroboration. The dauntless is superb, but how can anyone believe the hard work was done by matchbox 30 y ago? Come on? Ditto the Swordfish. It's not at all a pantographed tamiya copy. The Avenger and Hurricane are superb and the big tanks amazing.

And as for them funding the PLA, well that came from a well known Hyperscaler IIRC.

The 109e is inaccurate, but the G6 is a nice kit and better than the Hasegawa version. That said I can't remember a review of it, as its presumably assumed to be bad. That's the problem. Assumptions.

Factoid - an internet rumour that is repeated often enough so that it is believed by many to be true.

Mike does this mean if I post on here several times each day that I am irresistible to women it eventually becomes true? Apologies for off topic

Mike does this mean if I post on here several times each day that I am it restive to women it becomes true?

If I understood what "it restive to women" meant, I might be able to comment further John :tease:

Re-reading it, I'm going to guess that you meant to type "attractive" on a tablet or phone with auto-correct, and it has tripped you up :smartass:

We as modellers should be grateful of companies like this/them bringing out what they do and the scales they bring them out in, regardless of a slight inaccuracy..!

• Like 2

ok, thanks for this guys, I've purchased myself 4 kits to check out, went for the su-24m fencer. Such a attractive aircraft. The f-117, the c-47 skytrain (seems like I can make an RAF version out of this) and the HB p-61B (dam she's a big girl. Wish me luck on these, I plan to start one soon.

• Like 2