Grumman F6F Hellcat NF.II ### Finished 9-9-2013 ###

Hi Guys,

I have changed my mind and want's to do a different build over here instead of the Wildcat mk V.
I have a Hobby Boss 1/48 Grumman F-6F-5N in my stash and after seeing a article over here that the FAA also flew some of those. I wanted to build one. I have got no direct decals for this, but luckely I have a set from SAM for FAA markings. This will be helpfull to do my own markings.It will be build straight out of the box with only the adition of decals and some seatbelts from MDC.

Here are the pictures of the box content.

IMG_5097_zpse13e8533.jpg
IMG_5101_zpsef6030a1.jpg
IMG_5100_zpsf89186e2.jpg
IMG_5099_zpsd885fedb.jpg
IMG_5105_zps988242fd.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1

Nice choice. Did the FAA examples have a weird and wonderful colour scheme? Looking forward to seeing what results!

Hi Vulcanicity,

These were all late build aircraft, so unluckily it hase a overall blue scheme. But on the other hand it makes my painting more easy with one colour.

Cheers,

I hope to start this very soon. At the moment I have been doing nothing, because my modelroom feels like a sauna (33 degrees).

Cheers,

I have done yesterday and today some work on it. Not much, because it's still very warm here. But i managed to give the engine it's first paintcoat. If there is more progress I will put on some pictures.

Cheers,

Good choice Arnold and its a nice kit - I built the day fighter version last year :popcorn:

Yes I know. I will do it with folded wings. The only down side is that there are no mg's. As I am building this for the competition in Telford than that will look a little bit awkward.

I also know that the fuselage is to fat, but I build it as it is.

Cheers,

Hi guys,

Here is a small update on the build. I have finished the engine first. I have also started the cockpit, but no foto's jet. I find it a little bit strange to put a lot of things into the cockpit and bulkhead that won't be seen after closing the fuselage up. I think I will leave these parts of to fasten the build.

Here are some pictures of the engine.

Some paint on.

IMG_5180_zps1893e9b1.jpg

IMG_5181_zps5399d7a1.jpg

IMG_5182_zpsd4f5a186.jpg

After a wash and some drybrushing.

IMG_5194_zpsce07d0b4.jpg

IMG_5195_zpse1bdc554.jpg

IMG_5196_zpsa931e103.jpg

IMG_5196_zpsa931e103.jpg

And finaly after some detailed painting and putting it together.

IMG_5216_zps1b5e879b.jpg

IMG_5217_zps1710b718.jpg

That's all for today.

There will be more updates in the next two weeks.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

Hi Guys,

Small update; The cockpit parts are now ready for some paint. I hope to do this tomorrow.

Here are two pictures. The first of all the parts layed out and the second is of the seat with PE seatbelts Q-type.

IMG_5225_zpsd99c1e37.jpgIMG_5224_zps3bb3a1d3.jpg

Cheers,

Again some pictures. Now after airbrushing it.

First some of the parts pre shaded.

IMG_5228_zps8e702d6e.jpg

IMG_5229_zps05270ae7.jpg

IMG_5227_zpsa7cfe5ad.jpg

And some pictures after the interior green.

IMG_5239_zps089b650f.jpg

IMG_5240_zps7690c9fa.jpg

IMG_5238_zps2d72dfae.jpg

IMG_5236_zps99b05c85.jpg

IMG_5235_zpsa19a1216.jpg

This is how far I have gotten today.

Cheers,

Hi Guys,

I closed the fuselage today and I hope to do some more work on it this weekend. The progress is slow, because I want to finish my F4F Wildcat V in the FAA GB first. This one is now ready for some decals and after that I will have more time for this one.

I have no pictures jet. These will follow in a later stage.

Cheers,

I have done some more work today. The under fuselage with wing stubs are placed. I have also been bussy with the wings. There were some sinkmarks to get rid of.

Here are a few pictures of how she would look like with folded wings. This is the option I am going for.

IMG_5269_zps0a67bcc7.jpg

IMG_5270_zps1a2517e4.jpg

IMG_5271_zps661a4873.jpg

IMG_5272_zpsb8b51719.jpg

IMG_5273_zpsb4b1e2dd.jpg

Cheers,

• Like 1

That is coming together very nicely. Is that mast on top of the fin going to survive the rest of the build?

Thanxs, I don't know if the mast wil survive, but it was already on the fin so no option to do it otherwise. It's quite sturdy. Fingers crossed it will survive.

Cheers,

I have one of these in my stash- am watching this one with interest. I have the Big Ed set for it- got it in Hannants for half price.

Although I have seen lots of negative comments about the width of the cockpit and fuselage it still looks good.

Might get started on mine soon- although I have too many half built kits to complete, lol

• Like 1

Thanxs guys.

I have done some work last couple of days. The seams on the fuselage and inside wings are done. The only ones to do now are the outside wings and the radar pod. After this it will be some small stuff and then she is ready for a coat of paint. I hope to do the painting next week.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

Finaly I have started painting. I forgot to take some pictures before I started. :doh:

Here are some pictures. I am going to give it tomorrow a coat of Klear and hopefully I can put on some decals Friday.

Here are the pictures.

IMG_5290_zpsc37b8bb5.jpg

IMG_5289_zps32368c2b.jpg

IMG_5294_zps896120b3.jpg

IMG_5295_zps3eca044d.jpg

IMG_5296_zps0bf6b81b.jpg

IMG_5293_zpsfadccb86.jpg

The pictures are a little light because of flash photografy. This is how far I have got today.

Cheers,