Bell P-39 L Airacobra, Eduard 1:48

Desert Snake

Hi mates,

here are some pictures of my last year finished Airacobra from Eduard. I`ve used the old but great Profipack with photoetched parts, Express Masks and no less than 6 different variants of paint shemes.

Additional I used both CMK accessories for engine compartment and front armarment.

The model you see represents an aircraft of 346. FS, 12.AF, Noth Africa.The 346. was the last USAF unit using the P-39 in Europe.

Only used as an attack aircraft, as this type didn`t rocks as dogfighter against german fighter !

:coolio:

The built was pure fun and gone straight forward! Only minor mods are necessary to convert this model to a L-1-BE type.

A wonderful source with all necessary informations is Book No. 6129 of MMP`s Yellow Serie.

s1b0.jpg

0h80.jpg

uz7k.jpg

7mh4.jpg

[/url]

yqkc.jpg

Edited by Sarcococca
  • Like 9

Wow! That is just absolutely outstanding! The detail work with the aftermarket stuff is really superb. But the best part is you did the one thing most people miss with the Eduard P-39: sand down the trailing edge of the wing parts from inside before assembly to get a nice thin edge - it soooooo improves the overall look in the end. The paintwork and decaling is fully up to the assembly work.

The only thing I can think of is that it's unlikely a drop tank would be in place while undergoing major work like this (I remember seeing an unbuttoned Stuka model like this, fully bombed-up - no mechanic would have gone near it!). That's not a criticism, just something to consider.

• Like 1

Wow! That is just absolutely outstanding! The detail work with the aftermarket stuff is really superb. But the best part is you did the one thing most people miss with the Eduard P-39: sand down the trailing edge of the wing parts from inside before assembly to get a nice thin edge - it soooooo improves the overall look in the end. The paintwork and decaling is fully up to the assembly work.

The only thing I can think of is that it's unlikely a drop tank would be in place while undergoing major work like this (I remember seeing an unbuttoned Stuka model like this, fully bombed-up - no mechanic would have gone near it!). That's not a criticism, just something to consider.

I think you are right!

A drop tank in place while undergoing a maintenace would be too dangerous indeed!

I didn`t think about that circumstance, was only in fever of builting this model and to round up the model with a heavily weathered drop tank... :)

Why not an empty drop tank????

Edited by Sarcococca

I think you are right!

A drop tank in place while undergoing a maintenace would be too dangerous indeed!

I didn`t think about that circumstance, was only in fever of builting this model and to round up the model with a heavily weathered drop tank... :)

Why not an empty drop tank????

I suppose. If I was doing work that involved electrical stuff (like working on an engine) I would not want something nearby that might be filled with fumes, but perhaps that's just me. :banghead:

Very nice indeed. Some superb work on show with that model. :thumbsup:

As for the drop tank, if it was only minor servicing then I could see the tank being left on. I used to work on Sea Barriers and we'd rarely take the tanks off, but they were kept full. In fact they only came off if we were removing the wing or fitting a Sea Eagle or WE-177.