New Airfix Harrier GR1

SimonR

Nor is it flagged as 'in stock' on the website yet, nor at Hannants or as far as I can see anywhere else. However, someone has to be the first to get the boxes open and update their website, so perhaps we will see some more status updates during the day.

Morning all,

Apologies if this has already been done but I noticed this morning that Wonderland models have the new 1/72 Arifix Harrier GR1 in stock. Anybody got their hands on one yet, if so any good??

cheers

Simon

Nor is it flagged as 'in stock' on the website yet, nor at Hannants or as far as I can see anywhere else. However, someone has to be the first to get the boxes open and update their website, so perhaps we will see some more status updates during the day.

It's listed on the Wonderland website as available from 12th August

Allan

It was originally flagged for the 5th of July, however as Wonderland were down at Waddington i guess the date expired and the page changed to give the impression it was now available. Sounds like they have got another rescheduled date and thats now in place.

However its a bit disappointing that Airfix appear to be back sliding again with new tools slipping back down the schedule again, nothing new as its something we expect from them but with all the technology today from design to delivery that they still can't predict a schedule they can keep to !.

(Afterall many of these have already been pre-released in test shot form some time ago for the aftermarket boys and the mags)

However Airfix itself has, wisely, never published specific availability dates to the general public - it's only Wonderland which does this. In doing so I imagine that it rather annoys Airfix. It introduces a spurious level of apparent precision into a complex multi-player long-distance distrubuted production and delivery cycle.

If I were Airfix I would strongly discourage any retailer, no matter how influential, from publishing hard dates until after Airfix has all the production elements - sprues , decals, boxes, instructions - actually through customs in the UK. Only at that point does Airfix actually control the eventual timing of retail availability itself, rather than having to second-guess what the ship and the suppliers will do.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 2

Ah, didn't spot that!

Cheers for the replies guys

:D Don't worry about it Simon. I thought the ski version of the Gladiator was available until I looked more closely!!. However, Wonderland is a reputable retailer so I don't think they would publish dates unless they had something to back them up?

Allan

:D Don't worry about it Simon. I thought the ski version of the Gladiator was available until I looked more closely!!. However, Wonderland is a reputable retailer so I don't think they would publish dates unless they had something to back them up?

Allan

The Hornby group, the owners of Airfix, Corgi, Hornby, Humbrol and Scalextric have a trade-only website (hornbytradeinfo) which any retailer with an account with Hornby can use. It lists all the products in all those ranges and whether they are in stock at Hornby and if not the date when the product will be available. Is is those dates, provided by Hornby that Wonderland Models use on their own website to show when kits will be released.

The trouble is that Hornby change the release dates but don't inform the retailers of the changes which is probably what happened here. The date was changed and Wonderland didn't spot the change until a couple of days ago.

To add my 10 pence worth I think we should be glad that there is an imminent new tool kit of the Harrier being released, rather than slating Airfix for any sliding release dates! You can please some of the people.....

• Like 5

Even though Hornby do change their release dates without telling the retailers, at least they do update the dates on their system so that the retailers can find the information.

For a lot of the ranges, the release date comes and goes and nothing appears, sometimes for months without any update from the manufacturers.

Then there are the companies that will announce kits that are 'coming soon' in the magazines, but they don't appear for years is at all.

Then throw in the companies who's items become unavailable without warning, while still being on their listings, with no restock dates. These kits can go out of stock for months, even over a year in some cases, then suddenly turn up without any indication that they were on the way.

There are also companies that only release final details of their kits when they are released, including the price, making it impossible to advertise them ahead of release and take pre-orders.

The Hornby group, the owners of Airfix, Corgi, Hornby, Humbrol and Scalextric have a trade-only website (hornbytradeinfo) which any retailer with an account with Hornby can use. It lists all the products in all those ranges and whether they are in stock at Hornby and if not the date when the product will be available. Is is those dates, provided by Hornby that Wonderland Models use on their own website to show when kits will be released.

And that, if I were Hornby, is what I would be having words about with Wonderland. For Wonderland to publish the dates, then they are necessarily merely provisional and subject to revision, causes some retail customers to look upon them as some sort of promise by Airfix to the public, which it definitely isn't, and never has been. Then we get damaging comments about "Airfix backsliding".

• 2 weeks later...

Nipped in past my local model shop this morning & heard the kits have been delayed to November :(

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Still, suppose that gives me a few months to finish my Fujimi horror story....

Mark.

• Like 1

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Still, suppose that gives me a few months to finish my Fujimi horror story....

Mark.

There was you with nothing else in the stash to build 'til then as well :P
  • Like 1

Nipped in past my local model shop this morning & heard the kits have been delayed to November :(

Thanks for that news... Spoiled my day nicely.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I really hope you've been given duff gen.

Just to keep everyone up-to-date Airfix have confirmed that the new-tool 1/72 Harrier GR.1 A03003 will be released in the week commencing 12th August. The GR.3 is still listed as being available in November.

The decal options are for XV749/K of 1 Sqn at RAF Wittering and XV785/Q of 20 Sqn at RAF Wildenrath both in the 1970s scheme of dark green and dark sea grey over light aircraft grey.

Edited by Wonderland Models
  • Like 2

Just to keep everyone up-to-date Airfix have confirmed that the new-tool 1/72 Harrier GR.1 A03003 will be released in the week commencing 12th August.

The Glorious Twelfth just got even more glorious! After a hard day's grouse shooting and hanging the birds in the pantry, what better way to relax and unwind than with a couple of new tool Airfix Harriers?

Now, where'd I put the 12 bore?

Mark.

• Like 1