Hawker Sea Fury T.20...Pioneer/PM 1/72

I just received a copy of the FROG Tempest, which I had never seen before. It's a surprisingly nice kit!

I'm going to build it for the Obsolete Kit GB, so I thought the Sea Fury would make a great companion piece.

I'm aboard!

Edited by rotorheadtx

Well tie me to the mainmast and flog me..... It turns out I don't have a copy of the FROG Sea Fury anymore. Whut thuh..??

I opened the box containing my Sea Fury and Tempest projects and ....... 3x Pioneer variations. What possessed me to let go the FROG stuff is a puzzler.

SO....one T.20 two-holer, if you please. Airwaves u/c and p/e bits, and Matchbox Tempest wheels. HSS with 24 inch yellow trainer bands on single-engine props, Right??

seafurypartz_zpsa4db9236.jpg

Edited by rotorheadtx

The PM Seafury is probably as good as the Frog one ever was but still current I believe so not sure if it'll cut the mustard for this group build, the Frog Tempest would though I think & yes, you're right, its a surprisingly good kit for its era.

Steve.

Assembly begins in the cockpit, by discarding all of the kit-supplied parts. Okay, I jest, the cockpit floor is actually a very good fit to the interior of the fuselage, but it sits far too low. I added transverse strips of 1/16th inch plastic stock to raise it. The pilots seats are miniscule and simply disappear into the interior; I binned them and substituted a pair of True Details resin USN seats with seatbelts. Side consoles are from the Airwaves etched set, with some plastic stock to anchor them.

Steve, with all due respect, I think you've got the wires crossed....this is my submission for the FAA GB.

I only need an obsolete kit for the Obsolete GB, and that's going to be my FROG Tempest.

Guilty as charged, but in mitigation, I'd like to have taken into comsideration that I have been doing nightshifts & I'm having trouble keeping up with all these group builds just now. :(;)

Steve.

One other problem with this kit is the slightly pebbly surface finish to the airframe parts. The fuselage halves, cowling, and wings all need to be rubbed down to prepare for the HSS finish; I took the parts with me to work and started the process during idle moments. I'll post before and after pics shortly.

Edited by rotorheadtx

I corrected and detailed the living daylights out of one of these kits a few years back and it does make up into a good model of the type. I would lose the under wing fuel tanks though, they are way oversize. I think they are meant to represent the rarely carried ferry tanks which have never seen carried on this mark.

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tony, Don't worry once you are retired, you'll have more than enough time to model. That is, provided you don't let all of lifes other distractions into your life, like birding, walking, photo club, painting, cycling......

Good to hear you can get a bit of modelling done at your place of work. I built my first vac-formed kit in my lunch breaks at work, a Bell X-1E. It all fitted into a 4 inch square box.

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been quietly beavering away on this kit; sanding down the surface roughness, and getting the airframe ship-shape. Now I read that the moulds have been destroyed.

On one hand I want to celebrate, yet PM/Pioneer took on a subject that no-one else outside the Czech Republic would bother with..... tragic, to a point.

My sincere thanks to the folks in Turkey for even bothering to try; your efforts are/were appreciated. More impetus to get this done, and done well. And by deadline.........

• Like 1

• 2 months later...