1:72 Planet Models Grumman XF10F-1 Jaguar

Hi mates,

I've just finished this model for the Swing Wing Group Build, and I thought I would also post it here for those folks who aren't perusing the Group Build forums.

The Grumman XF10F-1 Jaguar was the first real attempt to build a production swing-wing aircraft. Design began in the late 1940s, and all 32 of the Jaguar's test flights occurred in 1952. Grumman engineers pushed the envelope in many areas with this design, and Corky Meyer, the only man to fly the Jaguar, stated that it was "entertaining to fly because there were so many things wrong with it."

One thing that did work well throughout the test program, though, was the swing wing. This is all the more impressive since the wing pivots were on the aircraft centerline, meaning that as the wings were swept back the pivot point had to move forward, resulting in a complex mechanism. The wings on the model do not move, and are attached in the swept position. The other resin kit of the Jaguar in 1:72 scale is by Anigrand, and they provide wings that move. However, it is inaccurate as the pivot point stays stationary.

I heartily recommend the volume in the Ginter Naval Fighter series on the XF10F. It's a great read!

Project: Grumman XF10F-1 Jaguar

Kit: Planet Models (CMK) Kit No. 72171
Scale: 1:72 (The Gentleman's Scale)
Decals: From the kit; also some red and silver stripes from the spares box
Resin: Hey, the whole thing is resin!
More Resin: Obscureco F9F Panther ejection seat
Photoetch: Eduard colour PE Spitfire Mk.II instrument panel (it looks good and it fit)
Paint: Testors Model Master Dark Sea Blue FS15042, Flat Black, Tamiya XF-69 NATO Black, Alclad Aluminum, Magnesium, Steel, and Pale Burnt Metal, Floquil Flat

Weathering: Nope, this thing only flew 32 times. It spent its life indoors.

Improvements/Corrections

• Added "horsals" - horizontal dorsals, these are the triangular strakes on the sides of the rear fuselage
  • Added ADF dome on the deck behind the pilot
  • Added two PE pitot tubes below the nose in front of the landing gear
  • Added sensor to nose probe ("bent" nose probe is correct, by the way)
  • Added scissors link to front landing gear
  • Added PE rudder pedals (from an F4F Wildcat; Grumman had them in stock!)
  • Added boarding ladder
  • Added Mullaney Shroud Diffuser (thanks for the tip on the beverage can, Nobby!)

All the gory details of the build can be found here. Enjoy the pictures!

100_3576

100_3580

100_3583

100_3588

100_3591

100_3593

100_3594

100_3595

100_3598

100_3603

(Yes, that's a Spitfire instrument panel!)

100_3602

100_3601

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Now addicted to resin. Must be breathing the dust... :)

• Like 11

Me Likee!!

Blue, vaguely stubby, plus it has a kitty painted on the side. Can't beat that.

Aside from the swing wing, you can tell that it has that simple, straightforward Grumman look to it.

And of course the F11F was just around the corner. Arguably the prettiest of the Grumman jets.

Fly Navy! OOH RAH!

david

Very nicely done. I remember seeing some photos of the real thing when I was but a sprog and liking the look of it, so obviously a Grumman.

(And that explains whyyou have been so quiet recently)

Duncan B

I do like that and I WANT ONE! It would go nicely with my collection of oddballs.

Whether I could do such a good job is another matter.

John

Me Likee!!

Blue, vaguely stubby, plus it has a kitty painted on the side. Can't beat that.

Aside from the swing wing, you can tell that it has that simple, straightforward Grumman look to it.

And of course the F11F was just around the corner. Arguably the prettiest of the Grumman jets.

Fly Navy! OOH RAH!

david

Thanks, David. Yes, it does look like it's an evolution of the Grumman "Flying Barrel" shape from their early biplanes on through to the Hellcat. I've also been told that the XF10F-1 was the inspiration for Hasegawa's line of egg-planes. :)

im a big fan of the x planes, looks fab,really nice build and actualy its a nice airframe

Thanks, batcode! Technically not an X-Plane proper, as it was as a prototype for expected production. In fact, at one point Grumman had an order for 100 Jaguars. If the program had progressed, there would likely have been pre-production units designated YF10F, followed by production F10F planes.

Very nicely done. I remember seeing some photos of the real thing when I was but a sprog and liking the look of it, so obviously a Grumman.

(And that explains whyyou have been so quiet recently)

Duncan B

Me quiet? Yes, the Group Build has kept me off the main forums for a bit. I also was on holiday a few weeks ago. And I'm leaving for a week of camping in the mountains today, so I'll be really quiet. No wi-fi in the woods! :)

Another thread that made me google.

Nice build of an interesting aircraft.

Do like dark blue jets though, proper navy colour.

Yeah, baby! Love the Glossy Sea Blue. I have some of the USN 100th anniversary decals so I can do a Hornet in Glossy Sea Blue. It's too bad the Tomcat had already been retired, as I think it would look fab is good old FS15042!

Cheers,

Bill

Great job Bill !! Having laid out those resin pieces for this kit and pondered over them, and having studied the Ginter book, I can appreciate very much how well you put this model together -- I haven't had the gumption to tackle this thing yet -- maybe with your example as inspiration !!

That is one very nice model. I wish someone would do it in 1/48. Corky (I knew him when we both wrote at the same magazine) once told me that it was the single worst airplane he ever flew; on every one of the flights he returned and considered himself fortunate he hadn't crashed.

Very nice indeed Bill - always been fond of that subject since first seeing it years ago. You've done a reet nice job there!

Cheers

Rick