Airfix Spitfire IX "Club Special" Israel and Egypt

John

Well, a bit after WWII actually. I was ordering one or two bits and pieces from the Airfix website last week and decided to treat myself to the limited edition 1/48th scale Spitfire IX kit. It's the same plastic as the multi-version MkIX/MkXVI that first came out a few years ago with a specially produced dcal sheet for an Egyptian and an Israeli aircraft.

The kit comes in the standard Club Special "pizza box", a bit bigger than A4 in size and featrures a couple of nice profiles on the lid:

boxtop_zpsfbdf7ed7.jpg

The decal sheet is by Cartograf and is beautifully printed. It contains all the major markings and blocks of colour in case any patching is needed. there are no stencils though:

decals_zpscbf1f46b.jpg

The first option is for an Royal Egyptian Air Force McIXc numbered 664 and dated September 1948:

Egypt_zpsbf19ef51.jpg

Colours are standard RAF wartime desert scheme but the pattern as shown doesn't appear to be the one normally associated with the Spitfire - local repaint perhaps? The decal sheet also provided the letter "L" in red for the starboard side only.

The second option is an Israeli MkIXe No 2004/14, 101 Squadron, 1949. This has clipped wings and looks to be in pretty much standard Day Fighter Scheme colours and pattern:

Israel_zps7029d70e.jpg

The kit instructions are slightly modified from the standard release of the kit in that, understandably, they don't mention some of the optional parts for the MkXVI. However they do suggest that both options should have the "e" wing armament layout, which I would imagine is wrong for the Egyptian aircraft. The painting instructions also show an "e" wing on both options.

All in all, it's a nice package and probably worth a substantial part of the purchase price just for the decal sheet. I know the kit has been criticised in the past, rightly, for the heavy trailing edges and overall "softness", but I've always found that it builds up nicely with a bit of work. I do wish Airfix would take a lead from Eduard's book and abandon the fixation with lowered flaps on their Spitfires - I strongly suspect that this is what gives rise to the problems with the wing trailing edges.

I have a load of Aeroclub and Brengun updates for this kit, plus plenty of ICM spares, so sorting out the bits that need fixed won't be an issue. I'm putting the plastic aside to build as a MkVIII with the Aeroclub retractable tailwheel set. I'll use one of the decal options on an Eduard "c" or "e", but I haven't decided which one yet. I like the Egyptian option though...

John

Nice idea. I have both planes covered in 1/48, the "14" via

Sky’s Decals SD-21 (18 Israeli Spitfires in all--although maybe not "14"). The Egyptian plane is also found on a Techmod sheet +

ADS 010-48 Middle Eastern Spitfires 1948, part 1 (an old sheet) that also includes the IAF "14". The peculiar thing about this Egyptian plane has to do with the identification strips which according to ADS would make the D-Day stripes look neat also on gliders.

NPL

The REAF bird is most definitely an IXc. <snip>

The aircraft in the photo doesn't seem to have the outboard .303 gun bays a "c" would have. It looks a lot like an "e" wing to me.

John

Edited to add :

Another photo of the same wreck - no outboard mg muzzles visible:

http://www.survivalwisdom.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/NA005567.jpg

J

I can recommend two books by Alex Yofe, Spitfire: Star of Israel (Ventura 1996), and Spitfire Mk.IX in the Israeli Air Force (White Crow Publ. 2006). Plenty of Photos, also of the two selected by Airfix. Here you also find several shots of the German style drop tanks. These drop tanks go back to the Velveta 1 and 2, the transfer of Czech Spitfires via Yugoslavia.

White 14, IAF, definitely an E. The "14" is oversized (not much), as if Airfix used the profile in Stars of Israel (p. 21) instead of the Photos on the previous page. I am not so sure that they were handpainted. They look fairly regular to me. Maybe they used masks. According to Yofe (Star of Israel p. 20)there were no identification strips on the upper wing at "14"

Red L's roundel (at least right side) had a strange tilt, not found in Airfix's profile (Spitfire Mk.IX, p. 49).

NPL

If possible always work on the basis of photographical material.

Thanks for the pointers, it isn't really an area I'm that familiar with. I think I might use Eduard's late "c" and build the Egyptian version.

John

Thanks for the pointers, it isn't really an area I'm that familiar with. I think I might use Eduard's late "c" and build the Egyptian version.

John

Yofe has the red L as an E. But it is a mess as the Israelis laid hand on several Egyptian Spitfires. However, a definite Egyptian C would be a Mk.Vc.

NPL

Addendum: On White 14, the Magen David roundels on the side were lined in blue. The people behind the Club version should have done a better homework.

NPL

Addendum: On White 14, the Magen David roundels on the side were lined in blue. The people behind the Club version should have done a better homework.

If you read the history, it's probable that the blue "outline" is nothing more than the remains of a slightly larger Yugoslav roundel that the aircraft carried on the trip from Yugoslavia to Israel. The white of the IDF roundel was (for some reason) painted smaller than the Yugoslav.

Also, note that there is no evidence that the Luftwaffe 300l drop tanks were ever used in combat. Only for the long trip from Europe to Israel.

Spit2004.jpg

Edited by Jennings Heilig
  • Like 1

If you read the history, it's probable that the blue "outline" is nothing more than the remains of a slightly larger Yugoslav roundel that the aircraft carried on the trip from Yugoslavia to Israel. The white of the IDF roundel was (for some reason) painted smaller than the Yugoslav.

Also, note that there is no evidence that the Luftwaffe 300l drop tanks were ever used in combat. Only for the long trip from Europe to Israel.

Spit2004.jpg

It might all be right, but you see the dark line very clearly. Then this blue board is also very regular as on the profile included in your mail. The profile of 14 in Star of Israel has the board in the same colour as the Magen David, but looking a second time at the Photos in Yofe's two volumes, the profile may indicate that you are right, making also your theory about an overpainted Yugoslav roundel likely.

The German fuel tanks have nothing to do with White 14 as she appears here, and it would be strange to believe that they were carried into fight, when you think of the small operational area we are talking about. This is also confirmed by Yofe saying that there is no evidence of them being used for training and in operations. Although in Stars of Israel p. 38, ill. 70, you have a detailed Photo of an Israeli seemingly rather worn battleship at Hatzor in 1949. As the Velveta 2 (the transfer from Czekoslovakia) took place in December 1948, it might be that it had not been removed yet, although nothing is said about the Photo except 1949, in Israel. The other Pictures of Spitfires in transfer had these tanks plus the normal slipper tank on Spitfires.

A final note, the white blue identification strips under the wings were only found on a couple of early planes in Israel, and finally, 14 was SOC in January 1949 after an incident. It was one of those who made it during the Velveta 1 in September 1948.

NPL

In last month Eduard's super limited edition "Naši se vracejí" (Our boys are back...) were most markings for IAF Spifires... In Royal Class is one Israeli Spit too... Yes, Egyptian decals are not included - but i'm sure decals producers made Mid east war decals soon :) And Airfix "nine" is really tragic kit :(

I made a survey of what I have in my collection of decals from the Middle East, Israel and Egypt

I hope that it is of some help, although I am quite aware of the fact that several of these are not easily available any more.

Eduard Royal Edition

LF Mk.IXe, SL632, 26, IAF, late 1949

ADS 010 48 Middle Eastern Spitfires 1948, part 1

Mk.IXc, D-130, 101 Sqdn, IAF

MK.IXc,’Black 10’, 2001, IAF; LFIXe,’White 14’/2004, IAF

Mk.IXc, Red’L’, 664, 2 Sqdn, REAF

Kagero Topcolor No. 15 Special Edition Spitfire Mk. IX

LF Mk.IXc, ‘26’, IAF, mid 1949

LF Mk.IXc, ‘14’ IAF Jan 1949

Techmod Decals 48064ASupermarine Spitfire Mk.IX

Mk.IX, White 26, 101 Sqdn, IAF

Mk.IX, Black 10, 101 Sqdn, IAF

Mk.IX, L’ of REAF.

Skyʼs Decals SD-21 IAF First Fighters

Mk.IX, 2058, The ‘silver Spitfire’, 1952

Mk.IXe, 2057, the ‘Black Spitfire’ [Ezar Weisman]

D-130 Israel 1, Ma’abarot Airfield July/August 1948

2001, 101 Sqn, June/July 1949, sort 10

2002, 101 Sqn, Mid 1949

Mk.XIe, 2003, 101 Sqn, December 1948, hvid 12

Mk.IXe, 2004, 191 Sqn, January 1949

Mk.IXe, 2013, 101 Sqn

Mk.IXe, 2010, 101 Sqn, hvid 25

Mk.IXe, 2011, 101 Sqn, hvid 26

Mk.IXe, 2018, 101 Sqn, hvid 17

Mk.IXe, 2012, 101 Sqn, hvid 16

Mk.IXe, 2023, 101 Sqn, late 1948, hvid 31

Mk.IXe, 105 Sqn, 1950, hvid 33

Mk.IXe, 2011, 105 Sqn, sort 26

Mk.IXe, 2063, 105 Sqn, Mid 1955, sort 63

Mk.IXe, 89, Sqn 105, 1955

Mk. IXc, 2080, 107 Sqn, late 1953, sort 80

Ventura V4858 Israeli Spitfire Mk.IXʼs

Mk.IXe, 2011/26, IAF

Mk.IXe, 64, IAF

Mk.IXe, 48, IAF

Ventura V4874 Israeli Spitfires. Pt. II

Mk.IXe, 69, IAF

Mk.IXe, 79, 107 Sqdn, IAF

Ventura V4822 Spitfires—Australian, New Zealand and Israeli

Mk.IX, D-130,’Israel 1’, IAF

Watermark Decals 48006 Canadian Spitfires: Assorted Markings

Mk.IXe, 2008, 15, 101 Sqdn, IAF [Denny Wilson]

Egyptian alone:

AeroMaster Decals 48-042 Spitfire Mk. V Collection

Mk.Vc, JK195/C, REAF

Decals Carpena 48.87 Spitfire Exotics Part. 6

Mk.Vc, JK195, C, 107 M.U., REAF

Eagle Strike Productions 48211 End of the Line Mk.22/24 Pt. II

F 22, 681, 2 Sqdn, REAF, Helwan 1950

Eduard's upcoming special edition seems to have three IAF Spitfires, white 57 in two deliveries and white 26 (the one with the eagle and the Spitfire).

NPL

Edited by NPL

In last month Eduard's super limited edition "Naši se vracejí" (Our boys are back...) were most markings for IAF Spifires... In Royal Class is one Israeli Spit too... Yes, Egyptian decals are not included - but i'm sure decals producers made Mid east war decals soon :) And Airfix "nine" is really tragic kit :(

Yup, and it forms the basis of all the main 1:48 spits. I have built 2 Airfix IX's for both of these decal options and 2 XVIe's with a Mk1 in the stash, and they all have the same plastic and they are not very nice to build. Also they do not come with a genuine wheels up option so you have to use the kit parts and filler to make it so.

Yup, and it forms the basis of all the main 1:48 spits. I have built 2 Airfix IX's for both of these decal options and 2 XVIe's with a Mk1 in the stash, and they all have the same plastic and they are not very nice to build. Also they do not come with a genuine wheels up option so you have to use the kit parts and filler to make it so.

Actually the basis for the MkVc, the MkIX/XVI and the MkI is the Vb from the late 1970s. All except the Vb suffer from overly thick wings and trailing edges, I suspect because of the separate flaps which are actually a bit pointless on a Spitfire.

Having said that, they are all perfectly buidable with a bit of work. The MkIX probably had the best fuselage of any kit until the Eduard kits came along. I've been thinking about trying to graft ICM wings onto it. I also prefer the Airfix MkI to the Tamiya kit, which has some unfixable shape problems. As I said above, I'm planning to use the plastic from this kit to build a MkVIII while the decals will be used on Eduard kits.

The MkXII and the MkXIX seem to have been designed from scratch.

John

I have from "Fix" only Mk. XII and on discusion and reviews are resume - it's little fat. Another option is Mk. XII from MpM (Special Hobby) but this is (i think) a short run. Mk. I have a last year a comparsion between Airfix and Tamiya-and Tamiya is better, but Airfix have parts for first production Spit with two blade prop and flat top cabine... Mr. Šulc from Eduard say they prepared a complet series of Merlin powered Spitfires... And Revell probably soon made 1/32 Mk. II - and i' think he can downscaled it. I hope in Mk.V family with all config of wing armament... Tamiya is (i read and hear...) inacurrate (but - cute....hmmm.) Hasegawa is too problematic and MpM Mk. Vc (too re-box a Classic Airframes and last time Italeri...) - no comment :)))) I don't know how is Tamiya's Spits Mk. I and Vb innacurate - in my eyes are shake and bake... And for Mk. IX i must prefer a Eduard's - in overtrees edition is very, very, cheap -10GBP for each version...(Yes, you must buy a armor plate - for 2-5GBP(photo etch, resin...)... Or not :)))This is only achilles hell of this gorgeous kit... And i hope for "Mid east war" decals in Profipack edition of Mk. IXe...

The problems with the Airfix Mk.IX go all the way back to the original Mk.Vb, and has especially to do with the nose. Bret Green has made this clear in his reviews, the nose rises far too high in front of the cockpit. The Mk.22 and 24 (with their Seafire sisters), and the new XII, XVII, and XIX have abandoned this tradition. And are OK in this respect. However, it doesn't matter much if you are not an Airfix fanatic. There are alternatives.

Mr. "Eduard" aired in an interview that he might be considering a Mk.V series as well. Not a bad idea. Although we, the people, would perhaps rather have a Mk.XIV (c and e, high and low).

NPL

John Adams placed the thrust line of the Airfix MkI about .75mm higher than it should have been, which is a simple fix. The older MkVb was a bit more, but still entirely fixable and, I would suggest, not at all apparent in the finished model. The MkIX has separate upper cowlings for the MkIX or the MkXVI, so if there's any issue would be even easier to address on that kit.

As has been said nany times before, all the Merlin-engined 1/48th scale Spitfires have issues of one sort or another that have been more or less easy to fix. I hope Eduard do look at the MkI and the MkV - I could see myself buying a lot of those!

John

Mk. XIV get out of me - this version not serve at Czechoslovak squadrons...But bubble top is nice :) Im still can't understand why Tamiya don't relased Mk. VII-XIV Spitfire in 1/48... But for me, as czech modeller - eee- sorry - in last time "box collector" it is best choice - Eduard's Spits is cheapest as Tamiya... (Overtrees and future weekend of course.) IMHO - in future Tamiya may be relased their own quarterscale Spits - and they are simple as Eduards kit. (For me, is a few places little complex...) Back to Airfix - i'm little disappointed with quality of moulds. Yes, with Airfix under Hornby managment i BIG fan of this traditional british kitmaker and their moulds are cheap and interest... (I can't wait for Gladiator !) but - oldest moulds are - far better. I think Griffon powered Spits - or English Electric Lightning... New tool of Spits are nice, well detailed but - but "teenage" Spit Mk.22/Seafire Mk.47 is still most beautiful. And - why have new tool small(1/72) Spit's (Mk. I/IIa) shapes problem when old mould was most accurate Spitfire in this scale ? (But - for 3.5GBP - good choice...) And why is relative new Mk. IX in 1/48 too ugly ? For me is generally Spitfire of one in my personal "top five symbols" of Great Britain - 1. Queen 2. Spitfire 3. Churchill 4. English bulldog 5. Marks and Spencer food... It is a little sad new - "Fix" Mk.IX and Mk. Ia aren't good :( I can't understand why Airfix can't rendered their "national treasure" in good quality...