1/72 Special Hobby Douglas B-18 Bolo

Hi

This is my last kit from Special Hobby. This B-18 was quite easy to build except around the engine cowlings which are different depending of the chosen type. As a pre-war era aircraft this one is clean. She is from 7th Bombardment Group, Hamilton Field, California 1938.

She should be published in Model Airplane International.

Patrick

m_294187293_0.jpg

m_294187312_0.jpg

m_294187320_0.jpg
  • Like 33

Excellent build, Patrick! I'm tempted to pick up the Digby version. I don't know, but somehow American aircraft always look good in British-style markings (the B-17, for example). For those who don't know, the Digby was the Canadian version of the B-18.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

Interesting, a Dakota Bomber. Nice build.

Ha I knew I'd seen that wing planform somewhere! :D

That's a really nice job Patrick - I was thinking about buying one myself and you may have made my mind up!

Wow that's nicely done! :coolio:

Would this kit be a reasonable subject for the 'average model builder' or is it more challenging than that.....I too am tempted by a Digby.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Interesting, a Dakota Bomber. Nice build.

Remember that the Soviets used their licence-built version of the DC-3, the Li-2, as a night bomber, in addition to its normal role as a transport. Although the B-18 was based on the DC-2, by the time they finished their modifications to it, it looked to me more like a DC-3 in terms of the wings and the tailplanes, so I think Dakota Bomber is a reasonable description of it.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

Wow that's nicely done! :coolio:

Would this kit be a reasonable subject for the 'average model builder' or is it more challenging than that.....I too am tempted by a Digby.

I could say reasonably challenging... :winkgrin:

I am a little biased in my judgment because it is not the first MPM kit I have built.

Patrick

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, cduckworth said:

Very nice build, the metal finish looks great.  Can you imagine picking this over a B-17. 

Hi 

Somewhere in my basement there is an Academy B-17B waiting for motivation.

Patrick

Like it! Very nice indeed.

Besides Canadian also US and Brasilian wartime schemes are temptating...This NMF in your application is very decorative also. 

I wonder if further "Dakota more slim bomber" - the B-23 Dragon is in plans of Special Hobby? :)

Cheers

J-W

What a fantastic job you`ve made of this kit Patrick,.... another stunner to add to your collection.

In case it is of interest,....I built the Canadian Digby version in 2014 and loved it so much that I have another to build in the earlier colour scheme,...here is my model wearing the later `coastal' colours;

z13_zps9dddc9c2.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 8

It's lovely to see this kit actually built. I paid a lot for the kit, then was discouraged by people saying 'what a silly/ugly aircraft'.

Wrong.

It looks great. Very lovable with that 'sit up and beg' front aspect. Truly an aircraft of the 1930's and a marvellous build here.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tonyot said:

What a fantastic job you`ve made of this kit Patrick,.... another stunner to add to your collection.

In case it is of interest,....I built the Canadian Digby version in 2014 and loved it so much that I have another to build in the earlier colour scheme,...here is my model wearing the later `coastal' colours;

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony

Yours is cute in her wedding dress.

I have also in the stash a Digby but she will be camouflaged.

Patrick

• Like 1