Just a couple of teaser photos of my heavily modified Hobbyboss Yak-38U Forger B operational trainer which is destined for a future issue of Cold War Aircraft Modeller magazine.

I've completely rebuilt the rear end of the model as it was way too short, (being based on the original fighter kits parts), of the wrong section and profile as well as having incorrectly shaped exhaust shrouds and tail planes. The angle of the forward fuselage and shape of the nose also needed attention and the undercarriage has been completely rebuilt as the kit parts are both too long and stand out from the fuselage too far. There are quite a few other bits and pieces to fix on this one and if you're interested in how to go about correcting the kit then get hold of a copy of Cold War Modeller as it'll all be in there. Hopefully I'll have some dio scenes made up for it too.

Thanks for looking, :cheers:

Melchie...

DSC_0121-002_zps5728ec3c.jpg

DSC_0120-002_zps40b08ae3.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 5

Thanks everyone, it is an ugly plane but all the more reason to like it..( for some odd reason I almost always prefer the look of the two seater versions of fighter aircraft...except maybe for the TF-102)..though it went through a protracted development phase the myth of it being more dangerous to its pilots than the enemy just isn't true. In fact it was safer to operate than other VTOLS including the Harrier, the facts bear this out, (Yefim Gordon, Red Star 36..... Yak 36/38 and Yak 41),

Yak-38's in service = 115 accidents= 18 write offs= 14 pilots lost = 5

Harriers in service= 241 accidents= 83 write offs= 57 pilots lost= 25

OK, twice as many Harriers operating over a longer period and in very different environments to the Forger but it does demonstrate that the aircraft was hardly the death trap so often cited in the press

batcode,

thu not heard of the magazine??? is it british mag

Yes, it's a new publication........just go over to the magazine and books section for more info.http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234936760-cold-war-aircraft-modeller-issue-2-now-available-as-a-digital-copy/

Ta Neil, not quite, I used that one as a master for this, (Ali of Alleycat kindly sent me a spare kit to work on as we were going to produce a big resin set to fix all the problems but that's been put on hold for now). So the first one became a doner for this one as I found out so much else needed fixing !!.

Thanks Artur, (and for the camera info you sent..very useful !),

Cheers all,

Andy

Thanks chaps,

shame the correct set is on hold, if it was around I would be picking one of them up.

Never say never...It still might come about.

Mike, thanks, I'm glad you like it, even though it's got marked accuracy issues it's still a fun build,

Cheers Ken, I hoped you'd approve !

Yep, she looks in a rather sorry state as you say, nice shots,

yak38U_zpsc6ac33cb.jpg

This photo really emphasizes the tail down attitude that Hobbyboss totally missed on both the trainer and fighter versions, (I thought at first that it was just the fact that they modelled the gear unloaded, ie in flight, but looking closely it's apparent that the oleos are 5 mm too long !, though they captured the complex 'double bubble' look of the canopies well................beats me :shrug: !!

Melchie.....