My way of making a "sea" base

I have been asked about the way I make the bases on a couple of models built recently, so decided to do a step-by-step. If it is too basic, I apologise, but I thought I would show exactly what I use to get the result.

020_1067x800_zps1b6992e3.jpg

I have used a Wilkinsons photo clip frame costing a quid..I have also used their cheapo picture frames ,some have glass, some perspex.My Ekranoplan used the latter.

01_zps35e87089.jpg

This is the clip frame in bits.......

009_zpsb573bd0b.jpg

The sub hull is cut down to the waterline and sanded until perfectly flat on the glass.....

03_zpscf9cdcb5.jpg.............

To be continued

• Like 1

These are the Vallejo acrylic sea effects that I used on the Trafalgar class submarine that will be used as an example...... http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234942214-hms-talent-trafalgar-class-submarine-in-1350-scale/

05_zpsd71e6506.jpg

Using the short bristle brush I "Stipple" on the acrylic into a thin pattern on the glass, I form the surface waves by pushing the brush in one direction to give depth to the surface......

06_zps7ff42db8.jpg

08_zps3d6a3073.jpg

This is after the initial application, note the hull position marked with CD marker pen..Any acrylic "sea" inside the lines is shaved off with a scalpel blade to keep the surface flat for the hull...........

09_zps396d1c62.jpg

To be continued...........Smudge

• Like 1

I painted the underside of the glass using an old tin of Humbrol HB9 Sea blue gloss.................

010_zpsa6105afa.jpg

And you can see how it has brought out the detail on the 'water',and if you will excuse the pun, given it 'depth'...............

013_zps33d6a852.jpg

With a flash photo it stands out even more..............

012_zps79f75946.jpg

Having painted the sub, I fixed it to the glass with Zap-A-Gap and when dried stippled more of the acrylic into a wake pattern, building up the area's that need some depth, over the bow in particular...

015_zps107e9f8c.jpg

016_zpsb2a556e1.jpg

It looks quite bright when wet, but dries a lot darker.....

TBC..............Smudge

• Like 1

Great stuff. What would you say the Vallejo stuff actually is behind the label? (ie, what is it actually made from - is it basically PVA with a few additives?)

Great stuff. What would you say the Vallejo stuff actually is behind the label? (ie, what is it actually made from - is it basically PVA with a few additives?)

Probably not far of the mark goggsy, this is the blurb from the label........"Vallejo water effects is a heavy bodied acrylic gel which can be shaped with a brush,palette knife, or any other tool to create waves, ripples, waterfalls and ice effects. The product dries to a hard, clear finish in about 24 hours. When applied on non porous surface, the product once dry can be peeled off and cut or folded to desired size... Waterbased, non toxic, no health labelling required."....

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&ved=0CEYQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.acrylicosvallejo.com%2Fen_US%2Fmaking-water-effects-with-vallejo-products%2Fblog%2F1%2F34&ei=1pjOUcq1NY3VPLSjgMAG&usg=AFQjCNEA_z6AyPJ2YSa7UaQ4LSetuEyAsg&bvm=bv.48572450,d.ZWU This is a link to their site with a lot of usefull information

Smudge

• Like 1

After leaving it to dry for 24/48 hours I have used the Foam/snow to whiten the wake areas.......I applied it a bit like dry brushing but with the brush wetter then normal.................

017_zpsd583f46d.jpg

018_zpscd15873b.jpg

Decals applied and the hull weathered, with some of the Foam/snow brushed up the hull sides to replicate waves travelling down the waterline....

019_zpsd9bea756.jpg

020_zpsd2d5361f.jpg

I used gloss varnish for the "wet" tide mark along the sides of the hull, printed a label, stuck it on the wood under the glass and cut out the water above to reveal it..I also super glued the glass to the wood backing on this one, although I have used the original clips on others............

And Bob's yer Uncle as they say......

022_zpse3a0cb6b.jpg

I do hope this has proved useful.............................Smudge

• Like 5

Brilliant!! And so generously shared with the community!

I'm eager to try it for a helo winching or sonar dipping....

You make it look so easy, it's inspirational. Thanks!

It is easy mate, if I can do it......well you know the rest.....The dipping sonar idea sounds first rate to me, I have some tungsten welding rods that are very thin with no flexibility at all, just the thing for the sonar cable..Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

Thanks for the nice comments....................................Smudge

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cracking job there Tony, thanks for your efforts in presenting the 'how to'. I'll have to look out for the heavy acrylic medium as we don't have access to Vaejo down here in SA. I used a product called 'Power Skim', it's a DIY ready made plaster repair produce not unlike Polyfilla Spackle. It dries white and accepts paint easily, check out my pics in the Floatplane/Seaplane GB.

For those wanting to do a smaller job Windson and Newton do a clear acrylic gel in tubes. A guy here did little dio with a sub being hit with deapth charges by an Helldiver. He built up the water splash over a couple of days. Looked impressive when finished.

Colin