Fleet 10G - 1:72 Azur FRROM

Julien

Fleet 10G

1:72 Azur FRROM

box%20top.JPG

Fleet was a Consolidated subsidiary which built models of their trainers which were widely used in United States by the US Army (PT-1, PT-3, PT11), the US Navy (NY-1, NY-2, NY-3, N4Y), AND the National Guard (O-17. For the export market they were sold to Canada, where they where known as Fleet Fawn and Finch, to Portugal, and too Rumania. China did use some planes, probably US models.

Three main Rumanian aircraft manufactures, I.A.R., S.E.T. and I.C.A.R built more than 330 of these aircraft under license. In 1931, Rumania impressed into service 20 Fleet F-10G The Fleet F-10G was used for initial training; liaison and mail transportation. Some of these planes were allocated to the headquarters of infantry divisions or other main Rumanian Army units. The civilian training Fleet F10G were impressed in the ARR during WWII. (Information from Azur FFROM)

The Kit
On opening what seems to be Azur FFROMs standard open end box you are presented with a model which can only be described as one of few parts. There are two small sprues of shorter run injection plastic, one small bag of resin parts and one sheet of clear acetate with the canopies on. The parts feature some nice if restrained detail, appear to be well moulded with no problems.

main.JPG

Construction starts with the cockpit. This is a simple affair with the rudder pedals moulded into the floor, two seats and two very fine resin control columns. In what seems a strange way to dot he kit, the canopies, or should that be windscreens are attached to an upper fuselage plug which has the holes in it, which is then attached to a larger hold in the upper fuselage. This just seem to create extra seams to deal with? It should be said at this point that the vac form windscreens are very indistinct on the acetate and I for one with my eyes cant actually see where to cut them out. This is an early kit from them (no.72002) and I am thankful in later kits they provide both injection and vac forum canopies.

fuse.JPG

Following the joining together of the fuselage halfs and insertion of the previously mentioned insert its time to attach the lower wing. This is one piece and mounts to a slot cut in the fuselage, thus providing a very positive and stable join. The Engine, tail planes and rudder are now attached. The tailplanes are a straight butt join so you might want to pin these.

detail.JPG

There are only one pair of wing struts to mount the upper (one piece) wing, with another pair on the top of the fuselage in front of the cockpit. Following mounting of the upper wing the landing gear is assembled and installed. The modeller with have to fabricate their own tail skid. As with all Azur FFROM kits no rigging diagram save the box art seems to be provided.

Decals

decals001%20copy.jpg

Decals are provided for 3 examples in Rumanian service. All are painted RLM71 over RLM65 with Yellow underside wing tips.
  • Fleet F-10G Of Aeronautica Regina Romania (AAR)- IAR built 1943/1944
  • Fleet F-10G Interstingly an aircraft with belonged to the Romanian Railways Sports Association pressed into military service. - ICAR built.
  • Fleet F-10G of AAR used as a trainer 1943
Conclusion
This is a well made kit of a little known aircraft. If you fancy building something a bit different or Rumanian aircraft appeal to you then get this kit. It would also I suspect be a good first bi-plane for someone due to its low part count and what seems easier assembly (Aside from the clear parts).

Review sample courtesy of
logo.gif

The same basic kit is available in another boxing as the Finch, with a wide selection of more exotic Air Force markings. I think the Fawn is something a little different, a Fleet Model 7.

I suspect the cockpit tooling is to ensure a neat pair of cockpits which can be difficult to achieve on a conventional split. The part does conform to the aircraft's structure, where plywood gives way to fabric covering.

No, I don't like acetate windscreens either. Although "an early kit from them", they are part of the MPM/Special Hobby organisation so it isn't an excuse to suggest new tooling from a beginner. Acetate sheets are common on kits of such prewar open-cockpit types. To be fair, if you can manage it, acetate does give a better representation of the original.

Looks a bit crude compared to some of the other recent stuff. :confused:

It is a little, but then I did say its an early kit from them. The later kits are much better. Still no reason it wont build up to a good looking model.

Julien

I think its a nice kit. Despite the 'crude' look, the parts will clean up well. I've got the Finch version with the radial engine so I can do a BCATP RCAF version in overall yellow. I've had my kit quite some time. So now I've read an honest review It has inspired me to maybe make a start sometime.

I have to say, I have built lots of kits from the MPM/Azur/SH stable of kits and always enjoyed them for the challenge which isn't too much hard work.

It's pretty typical for kits of this period's biplane trainers. Companies who attempt adding more detail get criticised for over-engineering (pace Amodel). Maybe Airfix will do better when they turn their attention to a new Tiger Moth... but until then just enjoy. I don't see anyone producing etched brass extras, though it should be possible to adapt seat-belts etc from other kits, if youa re that way inclined.

I must admit to having an interest in Romanian subjects, so FRROM's list is delightful, and not least this one. Perhaps I need another that that little IAR monoplane trainer that used the Fleet fuselage?

Two photos that may inspire someone:

fleet1167e70fb0.jpg

Numbers 67 & 70 of Portuguese Aviação Naval

fleet10g66vu8.jpg

The engine of number 66 felt while in flight (!) and the pilot - Ten. Cardoso de Oliveira - was able to land it.

(Photos and information taken from forum.voaportugal.org)

The floats are EDO I-1835. Here's a drawing for the braves

EDO_I-1835.jpg