B747-8 - I'm confused

Being very cheeky and related to this discussion - if any body is making their Revell 748i in flight mode and using the sturdy provided stand, could I buy your unused nose wheel steering cylinders (part 105)? For some reason mine have disappeared. I've looked everywhere for them and I can't blame the carpet monster as I've no carpet in my model room... Tell me to go and jump if its too cheeky!

Jeff

Can I use the upper deck from the Airfix 747 to make an -8F from either kit?

Andrew

My guess is that you can even shorten the 747-8 upper deck by shifting the rear half of the hump forward, but you'll have to fill the gap behind it somehow. I did it years ago with a Revell 747-400 that I converted into a -200.

My guess is that you can even shorten the 747-8 upper deck by shifting the rear half of the hump forward, but you'll have to fill the gap behind it somehow. I did it years ago with a Revell 747-400 that I converted into a -200.

Yes I'm sure a little surgery and some filler you can cut back the upper deck rear of the flight deck, you might find very little gained by sacrificing an Airfix 747.

Well I've ordered possibly the classiest airline livery ever, for my 747-8 - Pan Am - from Draw Decals (I've also ordered a set of Pan Am decals for a Zvezda 787 I've had half built for months...)

panam747-8_zps0143a6f1.jpg

Well I've ordered possibly the classiest airline livery ever, for my 747-8 - Pan Am - from Draw Decals (I've also ordered a set of Pan Am decals for a Zvezda 787 I've had half built for months...)

panam747-8_zps0143a6f1.jpg

Now that, is quite simply blinking stunning! Wow and blimey!

Well then, if Qantas and BA are not going to buy these wonderful beasts, I think I have just found my livery.

Lovely, many thanks for posting the pic.

Cheers

I have done the -8f conversion. When I get to my other PC I will post a pic or 2 of how I did it.

Have not finished the build though, need to assemble the engines next

Hi Ray, will look forward to seeing it

Ok, here is my 747-8f build so far.

I made a couple of cuts along panel lines near the centre of the upper deck and at the end of the hump where it blends into the fuselage proper. I found out later the first cut was not far enough forward so I made another cut between a couple of windows (there was no panel line in the area).

ZvezdaB747-81_zps1e8b78da.jpg

Cutting up the other side was tidier as I had figured out where the correct places to cut were. I used a razor saw with dymo tape guides for the vertical cuts and a scriber and dymo tape guides for the horizontal cut (which was also along a panel line)

ZvezdaB747-86_zpse1d59003.jpg

You can see the reinforcing behind the cuts in the above shot including epoxy in the cabin window holes (top half) and tape on the outside of the bottom half .

After filling and sanding both fuselage halves looked like this.

ZvezdaB747-84_zpsa4c0b928.jpg

The sections cut out of the forward part of the hump were used to fill hole left to the rear. The curvature of these pieces was not the same as the fuselage so I fit them as best I could. Holes from cabin window openings were filler with superglue.

When the fuselage halves when together I had to fill the resulting dip in the rear section with superglue and putty to get the right curvature of the fuselage.

ZvezdaB747-89_zps655dc81f.jpg

After the surgery I filler all the windows with epoxy from the inside (I ran tape on the outside of the openings to keep the epoxy flush with the fuselage skin). See shots further up. This reduced the amount of filling from the outside when it had set. There was still some filling to do due to trapped air bubbles when it was poured into the openings.

HUGE front nose door, sorry cant post pic for it.

Well you need to remove most of the cabin pax doors except for the crew entry door (front left). Also add the mentioned nose and rear cargo door and the rain gutter? above the rear door. The rear door is hard to see on most pictures I have seen due to the high gloss white finish of the rear fuselage. I think I will get the Panalpina sheet from Draw Decal for the cargo door and detail decals to complete mine.

Looking good Ray, that kit looks very nice and familia. Looks like its had it's first flight already lol. Can't wait for the next update

Yes mate, it has been half way round the world already :D and it doesn't have the wings on yet. Its partner is waiting in the assembly hangar at the moment.