Mosquito PR Mk.XVI 544 Squadron

Wentworth

This has been a bit of a labour of love. In WWII my Grandfather was a navigator with 544 Squadron based at RAF Benson and flew on Mosquito PR Mk.XVIs. I have his logbook so was able to research the missions flown and aircraft serial numbers. This is NS500, an aircraft he flew in on an operational mission covering Flensberg, Berlin and Dresden on 11 April 1945. The aircraft, with a different crew was lost on its next mission on the next day.

The model is the Tamiya 1/48th Mosquito B Mk.4 with the CMK PR Mk.XVI conversion, CMK control services, Quickboost mud-guards, Eduard Zoom fret and True Details wheels. This is the first time I've attempted a conversion, and am pretty happy with how it turned out. The only thing I wasn't brave enough to attempt was the vacform blister to go on top of the canopy.

IMG_2782_zpsca0ef905.jpg

IMG_2777_zpsaf8c0433.jpg

This has also been quite a lesson in how good at taking photos you need to be. I need some better lights.

Still - not bad for my first posting on BM.

Hope you like. The model, with base and case etc is going to my Dad as a late Fathers' Day present

Alastair

• Like 7

Hi Alastair,

Thanks for sharing your terrific effort and the story of your Grandfather, I'm sure your Dad will love it, who wouldn't love such an effort in time and work not to mention a personal connection.

Cheers,

Daniel.

P.S. Welcome to Britmodeller!

• 1 month later...

I have a friend whose father was an RAAF pilot with 544Sqn and whose mother was a WAAF photo interpreter with the squadron.

He has lent me a copy of his father's log book which, as I read it now, shows he flew this particular aircraft on 16 June 1944 on a mission over the Marseilles area and again on 17 August 1944 Rounne(?) in occupied France.

Thanks for this.

I have a friend whose father was an RAAF pilot with 544Sqn and whose mother was a WAAF photo interpreter with the squadron.

He has lent me a copy of his father's log book which, as I read it now, shows he flew this particular aircraft on 16 June 1944 on a mission over the Marseilles area and again on 17 August 1944 Rounne(?) in occupied France.

Thanks for this.

Hello Gordon,

Would I be correct in thinking your friend's father is Harold Vickers? The August 17th sortie covered Roanne, Central France, about 50 km north-west of Lyon.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher

You are correct - Flt Lt Harold Vickers. His son Ian is my wife's ballroom dancing partner. Funnily enough Ian's uncle has a street in the suburb of Canberra I live in named after him. He was a pilot with the original Flying Doctor Service.

There is book written by a New Zealander, Ronald Foster, named Focus on Europe. Flt Lt Vickers is mentioned quite a lot in that book and I recommend it to anyone interested in WW2 aviation. I bought a copy for Ian, as well as myself, when I discovered it.

Interestingly, Harold did not receive a DFC in spite of flying about 60 missions over occupied Europe and being shot down by some BF109s south of Paris (on the mission after the 17 August mission). BTW the spelling for the target on the 17 August flight comes from the slightly illegible entry in the diary. I can only assume he didn't get a DFC coz' he was a very naughty boy (read the book :winkgrin: )

http://www.aircrashsites-scotland.co.uk/Site/page_images/mosquito_corryfoyness/544-sqdn-a-flight-1944_50.jpg

This picture shows A Flt of 544Sqn at Leuchars in 1944. Harold Vickers is 3rd from the right in the front row. 2nd from the left is Malcolm Mosely, Vickers' navigator. The WAAF in the front row centre eventually became Harold Vickers wife.

P.S. I let Ian know about this thread.

Edited by Gordon Branch

Sorry Andy, Yes I did get your PM thanks. I've been away from home (Canberra) for a week in Perth visiting my Grandmother who took a tumble. As she is 105 years I thought I better go over to see her. She actually seems pretty good so I came home on the weekend. I'm pretty confident she'll be around when my 2nd Granddaughter is born in late November and my Grandmother turns 106.

Back to the subject: Another Mosquito Flt Lt Vickers flew was NS502/M which was the subject of a 1/32 Corgi diecast model and well documented in a series of photos at the IWM. Harold Vickers would have flown this aircraft in this colour scheme as one of the two missions he flew in this aircraft was just after D-Day.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205210632

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205127015

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205087416

In addition he flew this PR.IX on a test.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205127124

I've got an Airfix 1:48 Mosquito PR.XVI in the process of being assembled that I'm going to do for Ian in the NS502 scheme. I'm buiilding it wheels up and mounting it on an acrylic rod.

Edited by Gordon Branch

There is book written by a New Zealander, Ronald Foster, named Focus on Europe. Flt Lt Vickers is mentioned quite a lot in that book and I recommend it to anyone interested in WW2 aviation. I bought a copy for Ian, as well as myself, when I discovered it.

http://www.aircrashsites-scotland.co.uk/Site/page_images/mosquito_corryfoyness/544-sqdn-a-flight-1944_50.jpg

This picture shows A Flt of 544Sqn at Leuchars in 1944. Harold Vickers is 3rd from the right in the front row. 2nd from the left is Malcolm Mosely, Vickers' navigator.

To judge by the author's photo in the book, I reckon that's Foster next to Vickers, front row 2nd from right.