Beaufighter Mk.Ic, 1:48, Tamiya, 272 RAF Sqn, Malta

Hello,

this is my first model presented here - Beaufighter built from 1:48 Tamiya kit with some addons (Eduard PE in cocpit, Quickboost exhausts) and modifications (e.g. vertical stabilizers). My aim was to reproduce heavily worn machine from 272 RAF Sqn. seen on this well known picture:

beau.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

DSCF6247_zpsbb395b74.jpg

DSCF6241_zpsf5d78ab1.jpg

DSCF6245_zps156da00b.jpg

DSCF6237_zpsb4868bc8.jpgDSCF6235_zps2eaab978.jpg

DSCF6234_zps6dd09617.jpgDSCF6184_zpscfd126c9.jpgDSCF6220_zps912ec30b.jpg

• Like 11

Thank you for your kind words! Basic paints were: Vallejo 70902 (Azure) for undersurfaces and Tamiya Dark Yellow (XF-60) and Flat Earth (XF-52) for the rest of the camo. I airbrushed these colours on metalic primer (with black preshading) for further "scratching". To differentiate the surface of the miniature, in the next step I sprayed small dots of lightened shades of basic colours on selected panels. Finally, I used various artistic oil paints to add more "life" to my Beau :)

Edited by Arcturus

And I think you've done a fantastic job. I generally lack the courage to go that dirty.

Gaz

Thanx! But this is maybe 10% of someone more curageous than me could do with this "V"...

What a great build and super finishing skills there. I've also been fascinated by this machine so it's a pleasure to see such a good representation. I'm a big fan of heavy weathering where appropriate and this certainly is. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Roger

Can I ask how you did the aluminium weathering - as I like to do my machines dirty too, and have a great tip if you'd like to hear it?

Have a look at my Ju-87 build and see what you think?

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234925878-hasegawa-148-ju-87b-2-stg-2-libya-1941/

Thanx Phil for the interest. I am definitelly not an expert, and I am not fully satisfied with the scratching effect on my Beau. As I read in your topic (Nice Stuka :)), my technique is similar, but without the trick with sponge. I painted the whole model silver (MrHobby H8) and masked bigger areas with Maskol. Small scratches were made using scalpel tip, sand paper etc. I hope that my another attempt would be better :)

Your scratches look generally well to me, and I'll try this "sponge method" for sure. I have an impression, that they are sometimes too "round". In reality, this process is more random, and many scratches on real planes are smaller and "sharp". "Scratching" method gives probably a better control over effects.

Very very nice everything looks great hope that night fighter i have just started turns out half a good as this

nice job on the weathering, just the right amount.