This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Spitfire addict

What is the best 1/48 Polikarpov I-16 kit?

I have become fascinated with the Spanish Civil War and the aircraft that participated during that war. The I-16 has this repugnant attraction for some reason, and I feel no respectable Soviet aircraft collection would be complete without one. I am familiar with HC kits, but lack of cockpit detail as well as other issues makes me want to check out the other kit options before making a choice, so any recommendations? Are there decals for some of the Republican aircraft of the Spanish aces out there?

Cheers

Eduard, Eduard and Eduard! They blow the Academy?HobbyCraft model away and they also do a boxing especially for the Spanish Civil War with 2 kits inside!

HTH

Happy Modelling,

Christian the Married and exiled to Africa

For completeness - ARK Models also makes an I-16 in the 10, 18 and 24 variants. I've heard it being praised, accuracy-wise, but I do not know about buildability.

I just bought me one Typ 18 from Avax Models in the Czech Republic, will post sprue shots when it arrives.

I just realized I had never held to my promise. So, if anyone is still interested:

12272633113_23386e98bf_o.jpg

12272917464_7cc39639e5_o.jpg

12272923594_858a20e23e_o.jpg

12272481935_3a65285a3f_o.jpg

12272641583_e594619241_o.jpg

12272470315_61dbfbd751_o.jpg

12272896354_05535fffd1_o.jpg

12272453545_61449b64b0_o.jpg

12273021406_7a20b57e4d_o.jpg

12272457305_064d9afee5_o.jpg

12272458735_6e191521b9_o.jpg

12272615673_a3b5900247_o.jpg

12273031356_0415153970_o.jpg

12272623503_10c6b1efb6_o.jpg

Compared to the Academy kit (I don't have the Eduard Rata yet. Mom said I need to finish my spinach Hobbycraft first...)

12272617303_f7844d17a4_o.jpg

12272464195_ec80700221_o.jpg

12273028296_6f4caff6db_o.jpg

12272625263_9a3fae56ee_o.jpg

In comparison, the Hobbycraft doesn't come off as that bad, dimension-wise, although it gives a strong impression of having been designed from a low resolution drawing.

Strong points of the ARK model are the rendition of the fabric and the optional detail parts (lower- and front cowling, spinner, propeller, undercarriage).

Weak points are the interior or lack of same (but the footrest is correct), the blank instrument panel, and the strong relief of the removable panels/reinforcement strips on the exterior.

Edited by Bonehammer

built the hobbycraft many years ago;i seem to remember it including the early full canopy ;but it didn't fit that well and didn't look right

built the hobbycraft many years ago;i seem to remember it including the early full canopy ;but it didn't fit that well and didn't look right

You remember correctly. The instructions didn't mention it, but the canopy could be cemented in the open position (forward of the cockpit opening), thus solving the fit issue.

But then it would be painfully obvious that the clear parts were as thick as a slice of cheesecake.

Squadron had a vacformed replacement. The main problem with all the Hobbycraft Ratas is the lower cowling, missing a couple exhausts.

Unfortunately neither Eduard nor Ark seem to want to go near the early versions...

Unfortunately neither Eduard nor Ark seem to want to go near the early versions...

It's just as bad in 1/72 - Amodel's type 5 was one of their first releases, and needs lots of work to get it to today's standards of detail, although otherwise, with some effort, it's presentable. ICM's late I-16's are excellent; they did produce a type 10, but it wasn't a "real" type 10, it was just the late-version kit with type 10 decals. Modern kits of the I-16 type 5 and the type 10 in both 1/72 and 1/48 would be welcome.

While I'm on the subject of ICM, I might as well toss out a reminder that, back in 2011, they had the I-153 in both scales on their release list for that year - where are they?! :rant:

John

any updates on the Ark model accuracy?

how does it compare to the Eduard kit?

Don't know, but I've heard about two new release of Ark Models's I-16, one with some resin parts, the other with a big PE sheet.

I'd like to get both, but can't tell if they're already released, and where to find them.

IMO Ark is more accurate in outline and spine cross section, and has much better wheel well dome shape with marked internal windows.

You have to drill the top fuselage windows yourself. Detailing looks cruder than Eduard's but again, in my opinion, is more accurate.

Most imporant to me, the windshield is thinner than Eduard's - important as all but theType 5/6 I-16's only have the windshield and thin rear edges are a must.

Decals are a weak point, but I fixed that wit Begemot mega decal sheet (99 options).

Needs more help in the cockpit than Eduard (comparing bare plastic).

I have never seen the "enhanced" ARK release on sale. I would buy them immediately.

Vedran

The milimeter brigadee

Edited by dragonlanceHR

I have never seen the "enhanced" ARK release on sale. I would buy them immediately.

Or not.

HLJ has them on Black Friday sale - it's a 2-kit boxing with PE and resin parts - but the 85 EUR price tag is a bit :yikes: , since I got my regular kits for 10 EUR each.

Vedran

The milimeter brigade

I don´t know the ARK model but what annoys me about the Eduard kit is that it has very thick wing trailing edges. Sanding them down is not funny at all.

The Ark looks very, very nice aside from the massive raised hatches and fairings - PE would be the right thickness for those, if not slightly too thick.

Ishak1_zps6661112e.jpg