AIM-54A Phoenix Missile - 1:48 Eduard Brassin

AIM-54A Phoenix Missile
1:48 Eduard Brassin (648097)

boxtop.jpg

The Phoenix missile, or AIM-54 to give it its full title is fairly unusual insofar as it was only used by one aircraft during its career. It was struck off charge at the same time as the F-14 Tomcat that carried it, although if the Iranian Tomcats are still airworthy, there are a number of their only delivery of almost 300 rounds languishing there too. The A model was the initial variant issued to the US Navy for their new Tomcats in the early 70s, as well as the then Shar of Iran's new Tomcats that arrived with them before the hostage crisis blew up after he was deposed.

sprue1.jpg

Arriving in the rectangular box of Eduard's larger Brassin sets, there are four missile bodies and matching tail sections within, plus a relatively large sheet of decals with various coloured bands and stencils. Construction is just a case of removing the casting blocks and mating the large front and smaller rear parts together, being careful to align them properly to avoid a banana shaped missile. There is also a large recessed exhaust in the rear part as a result of the two-part design, with the characteristic recessed dot cast into the sidewall. The decals are printed on white paper, and the bands are in short sections due to the long forward stabilising fins that the missile carries. As well as yellow and red for warshots, there are also blue bands for inert rounds too.

Conclusion
Incredibly crisp and dense mouldings of these well-known missiles that are synonymous with the aircraft that carried them. The Tomcat could carry up to six Phoenixes, so if you were going for a maximum load, you'd need another half set, but most will probably adopt a mixed load using the four supplied in this set.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of
logo.gif

• 9 months later...

Be careful with the ultrathin decals in the brassin sets however!

I build the Eduard Brassin AIM-54C missiles in 1:48. After 'building' and airbrushing on came the decalling.

The decals are so very thin that I left them longer than 3 seconds in lukewarm water, which made them cumbling to an unusable dot of decal material.

Writing to Eduard support today and explaining what happened during my FIRST Eduard Brassin build ever, made them send me new decals FREE OF CHARGE!

Now that's superb customer support! Warm shower for Eduard!

Edited by J-063 RNLAF