Looking for REALLY detailed Javelin photos....

Planefannz

Hi All

I have set myself the quixotic task of finishing the Dynavector Javelin (that I started in the 90s) before the Airfix one comes out.

I find to my frustration that I can only locate a small part of the 100+ photo walkaround that I obtained from the FAW 9 at Flixton a long time ago.

I have looked at all of the online walkarounds that I can find (the best seems to be the Russian site) but there are still some areas I would like more detail of.

One item is an extreme close-up of the vortex generators. If I remember rightly these actually look "folded" with a horizontal component riveted to the wing and a vertical component.

Another is the fairings for the nav lights on each wingtip and on the extreme aft tip of the central component of the horizontal stabiliser.

A third is looking into the "tin can" fairings that appeared over the cannon ports on the later Javelins - what exactly was in there......?

While I am asking, does anyone know what was in the leading edge "bullets" that were fitted along with the missiles??? It is quoted that necessary equipment for missile carriage was in there but what precisely??

If anyone has or can get photos of these areas or would just like to talk Javelin detail generally let me know. I have lots of walkarounds to swap from aircraft in the UK and USA if you need anything.

Cheers

Mark Robson

Auckland

NZ

Hi All

I have set myself the quixotic task of finishing the Dynavector Javelin (that I started in the 90s) before the Airfix one comes out.

I find to my frustration that I can only locate a small part of the 100+ photo walkaround that I obtained from the FAW 9 at Flixton a long time ago.

I have looked at all of the online walkarounds that I can find (the best seems to be the Russian site) but there are still some areas I would like more detail of.

One item is an extreme close-up of the vortex generators. If I remember rightly these actually look "folded" with a horizontal component riveted to the wing and a vertical component.

Another is the fairings for the nav lights on each wingtip and on the extreme aft tip of the central component of the horizontal stabiliser.

A third is looking into the "tin can" fairings that appeared over the cannon ports on the later Javelins - what exactly was in there......?

While I am asking, does anyone know what was in the leading edge "bullets" that were fitted along with the missiles??? It is quoted that necessary equipment for missile carriage was in there but what precisely??

If anyone has or can get photos of these areas or would just like to talk Javelin detail generally let me know. I have lots of walkarounds to swap from aircraft in the UK and USA if you need anything.

Cheers

Mark Robson

Auckland

NZ

I can point you to a good reference in Richard A Franks book on the Javelin, lots of structural diagrams and drawings of the cockpit layout.

As for your questions; the tin can things over the cannon ports were blast tube fairings,there had been problems with kinetic heating with the barrels on earlier marks and when the leading edge was "Drooped" on the later models this was a fix for this problem.

As for the fairings above the pylons, these were not associated with the missiles. These items were aerodynamic in nature and associated with the pylons themselves, I believe they are actually empty. A lot of work went into the aerodynamics of the pylons and they were actually "area ruled" to reduce the drag penalty when fitted, Apparently the design was so successful that the pylons when fitted had negligable affect on the aircraft performance. I believe very similar pylons were fitted to the Sea Vixen as well.

Selwyn

Yep that Richard Franks book on the Flat Iron (Dalrymple & Verdun) has some 1st class illustrations.

This is my online collection on Flickr that's there for all to see.

I do have loads more pics of the Flixton example that I just couldn't be bothered to upload. If there's any particular part except the cockpit that you're looking for, then you could PM me & I could email a pic or two.

I do have the Frog 1/72 kit that I wanted to modernise/sanitise so I did go on a quest to take loads of photos.

Martin

I have uploaded my Javelin images from Flixton (in 2008) to my website, you might find something there

www.hrmtech.com/SIG/images/RIMG0073.jpg

www.hrmtech.com/SIG/images/RIMG0074.jpg

www.hrmtech.com/SIG/images/RIMG0084.jpg

each is about 2.4Mb, please download them if you wish,

Ross