1:48 Tamiya F4U-1 'birdcage' Corsair

Here’s my version of Tamiya’s 1/48 F4U-1 ‘birdcage’ Corsair, finished in the nondescript markings of a Marine squadron based in the Solomon Islands in 1943.

This build was almost straight ‘out-of-the-box’ – the only things added were seat belts, a rearview mirror, and some brake lines to the main gear. These kits are real treats to build – if you are careful, you won’t have to fill a single seam. I realize a Marine Corsair based in the Solomons would be probably not have the wings folded, but I really like the look of a plane with dropped flaps, folded wings, open canopy, etc. I also kept weathering to a minimum, mainly because I don’t know how to portray a heavily weathered effect properly.

These Tamiya Corsairs are arguably the best in 1/48 scale - I just wish they’d do a -4 version…

F4U-1P4.jpg

F4U-1P5.jpg

F4U-1P6.jpg

F4U-1P2.jpg

F4U-1P3.jpg

F4U-1.jpg

• Like 4

Must have been a Corsair that just arrived in the Solomons!

Very nice work on the kit, tuned out a great model.

Seriously, if one wants to super-weather a model, you can't over-weather a Marine Corsair in the Solomons. You have tropical sun-fading, salt air corrosion of the paint, exhaust stains, gas stains, oil stains, gun fire stains, etc., etc. You have coral dust scrubbing of prop blades (up to about halfway) and on the underside of the fuselage, you've got mud in the gear wells, etc.
These airplanes were in short supply in the spring/summer/fall of 1943, they didn't stay with a particular squadron (the pilots of the squadrons rotated in and out for 6-week tours) and the only maintenance they got was what was essential for operations. You name it, you can do it. Doing a Solomons Corsair is the one time with an airplane model where "too much is just about enough."

• Like 1

That's nice! My favourite kit in the world. TC is right - I did a Solomon bird for the Pacific GB a couple of years ago, weathered the heck out of it and enjoyed it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful! You can't beat a well made model of a Corsair, Hose Nose or whatever nicknames it carried. Fine work despite the finish being cleanish. Well done. One of my favourites!

• Like 1