Swearing

Greg B

Life is full of contradictions. No website is perfect, as we are not. We often see things differently.

Mike and the other chaps & chapesses run this forum as a treat for us in their not-so-much free time.

Its their sand pit. Play by their rules and everyone gets along well.

• Like 2

While we're on the topic of content and behaviour, I'd say the animated image of the lady running shown above is totally inappropriate. It's not just words that can be offensive and objectionable.

• Like 3

I do have to agree that I am not a fan of that particular one (Not a fan of Japanese manga style in general) and I think it just doesn't really say anything saying that I don't really see it as being offensive just daft. All the others (including ol Adolf) I am fine with, think most kids now wouldn't know who he was and the rest of us are old enough to differentiate between the comic symbolism of using that smiley and what Hitler did during his reign of terror.

• Like 3

The debate here puzzles me.

Why the Admin and Mod's are entering into debate regarding an interpretation of the rules or the enforcement of such deepens my puzzlement. If the rules have been broken and subsequently enforced, that's pretty much the end of the debate and it certainly shouldn't be the subject of a public debate.

If a member has an issue with how their actions have been interpreted with the rules, they should query that via PM with the appropriate Moderator. Why splash it all over the forum? I don't want to see you grubby Y fronts under debate and I don't want to see anyone justifying their actions if they've stuffed them in your mouth to keep them out of my sight.

If you can work within the rules here, or at any other forum, stay enjoy, be witty at times, sagacious at others and respectful always. If you can't, then deal with issues privately and in an adult manner, or saddle your horse and ride off into the sunset.

Managing a large community can be a thankless task as you should know if you've ever done it. It shouldn't be a hateful and thankless task because community members want to publically call you on decisions that you feel are right and appropriate at the time.

If you're a MAN and you wear panties, don't show them off in public...go commando and prove you've got nuts.

EDIT: Edited an of into an or.

Edited by Grayson
  • Like 3

I really don't think the lads were debating there you know.....Looked more like passing sentence and execution to me. Damned well done too! :wicked:

"Zen emphasizes rigorous meditation-practice, insight into Buddha-nature, and the personal expression of this insight in daily life, especially for the benefit of others.".....Personally I'm really not convinced he'd mastered it TBH. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Has it stopped yet? I hope so !! Nice to be back with the polite society! Good evening chaps!!

Simon

yup, I believe so. It says 'Banned' under Zen's picture thingy, so I guess he's been canned.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Swearing  .... I agree. Don't like that.

Even if younger modelers talk that way{and may use that kind of language or are used to it ^_^;  I think setting a good example by NOT  Swearing  or using bad language will set the tone that the BM forums are dignified!

Enjoy the fun ...

:rolleyes:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The point of the thread is taken. However, there are times when the filter only makes things either worse or ridiculous.

A few weeks back someone posted in the Chat forum looking for some legal advice. In the course of responding, I cited my old master solicitor's view that "a man who acts for himself has a clot for a client and and an (three letter word, starting with "a" and ending with "s", a synonym for "donkey") for an attorney". Used in that context, the word cannot be offensive unless you happen to be a self-represented litigant ... Despite that, in its quest for purity the filter altered the word to "bottom", which rather destroyed the whole point of the saying. I had to alter the word to "idiot", which meant that the alliterative force of the expression was lost.

EDIT: And I strongly object to the filter's insistence that we speak American!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I fell to this too :lol:

I had written that a particular aircraft's sound always "made me <blank> my ears up", a phrase often used and I think refers to how a dog raises its ears when something catches its attention. The filter substituted the word for "gentleman's parts" which made the phrase meaningless, yet comical and probably more suggestive than it ever could have been. I struggle to get upset about things like that though!

I used to moderate a car club forum and the filter susbstituted in something suggesting female parts when a user said he lived in a particular English town which happened to have 4 letters embedded in a sequence which is potentially quite offensive if the other 6 letters around them were removed!

• Like 2

On 17/01/2017 at 3:28 PM, SovereignHobbies said:

I used to moderate a car club forum and the filter susbstituted in something suggesting female parts when a user said he lived in a particular English town which happened to have 4 letters embedded in a sequence which is potentially quite offensive if the other 6 letters around them were removed!

Note that this article contains several uncensored words which would fall foul of the rules here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scunthorpe_problem

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 17/01/2017 at 4:28 PM, SovereignHobbies said:

I had written that a particular aircraft's sound always "made me <blank> my ears up", a phrase often used and I think refers to how a dog raises its ears when something catches its attention. The filter substituted the word for "gentleman's parts"

John Lahr wrote a fine biography of Joe Orton. Were I to write its title here it appears that the swear filter would turn Mr Lahr's witty double entendre into an anatomically accurate depiction of the activity to which he referred. :hmmm:

• 1 month later...

I haven't encountered the filter when making any post, II can only apologise for my lack of vocabulary that and a dodgy comprehensive education :blush: although the Jesuit teachers might have had more to do with it. :chair:

cheers Pat

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

In my previous software development job last year I had to deal with a client who wanted us to profanity filter some inputs collected from the general public (this was about wifi hotspot names which can be a den of utter obscenity and depravity!) and I tried my best to persuade them it was not a great idea because of the "Scunthorpe problem". Having teleconferences with these American clients was always tricky and I'd have to preface my conversations with "I'm very sorry, but this conversation is going to be about profanity and so may contain some words that could be considered offensive, but we HAVE to talk about them". I eventually persuaded them to not filter INSIDE words to avoid the above mentioned problem, however there were lots of issues around what I will politely term the '"N"-word, the one used by Guy Gibson to name his dog...  It seems in parts of the USA there are nail bars calle "N****** Nails" and so on, because within some parts of that community, its not considered offensive if used by black people about themselves.

I must admit though, it was the most entertaining piece of software development I've done in the last 30 years :) I even learned some new terms to which my reaction was along the lines of :gobsmacked:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I enjoy the tradition of using these good Anglo Saxon words that have been part of the English language for hundreds of years. 

What I find offensive and highly annoying is the use of words like mom, season instead of series, and phrases such as touch base, step up to the plate and worst of all you guys.

The former relieves stress while the later induces it.