Swearing

Greg B

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

I thought that not sweating on BM was not so much a rule but more a sign that we as members were better than that.

If something has got under your skin so deep that you feel the overwhelming desire to F & B then turn the PC / Tablet off do some actual kit building and formulate an appropriate reply. Yes there will always be idiots, but you don't have to stoop to their level to become one of them.

For the 99.9% of you that this doesn't apply to, on behalf of my kids and I, thank you.

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

I thought that not sweating on BM was not so much a rule but more a sign that we as members were better than that.

I thought not sweating on BM was compulsory either that or Mike and Greg came round with the hoses, wire brush and Dettol. Do I detect a rush on Lynx products in the offing?

• Like 3

Wasn't it G S Patton who said, "When I want them to remember it, I give it to them loud and dirty."

But we are gentlemen, aren't we?

Make your words of criticism soft and sweet - in case you have to eat them.

• Like 1

I thought not sweating on BM was compulsory either that or Mike and Greg came round with the hoses, wire brush and Dettol. Do I detect a rush on Lynx products in the offing?

Hi John

No the Rush on Lynx products is due to the current Lynx Group Build !

Cheers Pat

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Another new year and another bump as there are still a couple of members out there who are very hard of understanding in that it is not tolerated on BM, neither is trying to bypass the automatic editing filter. Please don't, its a one way ticket to Coventry.

And whats wrong with Coventry.... :bangin:

The fact that Deanflyer was born, grew up, went to school and lived there for the first 36 years of his life probably answers that question... :winkgrin:

Cheers,

Dean

• Like 1

The fact that Deanflyer was born, grew up, went to school and lived there for the first 36 years of his life probably answers that question... :winkgrin:

Cheers,

Dean

As if the poor place wasn't labouring under quite enough disadvantages already.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just a humorous comment on the swearing filters on the forum. In a post I added to a thread t'other day I used the term (deliberately misspelled to evade the censor) "plick up your ears" which the system turned into "gentlemans parts up your ears" which I think rates a little worse than the original terminology :winkgrin:

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

So, having just received a one week ban for using an asterisk-ed "F" word, perhaps the people running this site should make it patently clear in the rules that this is an Indonesia-style mandatory sentence even for a first offence. Quite frankly a warning would have been more than enough as some of us are actually reasoning adults; as a former forum admin myself a week-long ban is not something I would do until after more than one repeated offense. Especially for those of us who rarely post in the chat section and therefore haven't read all the stickys and also those of us who aren't locals and perhaps would not have deduced that a "one way ticket to Coventry" (seen only until the 3rd page of this thread) is Brit-speak for getting automatically banned.

On that note, if the reason for prohibiting all forms of swearing is so as to avoid defiling the innocent eyes of our youth, I really wonder why that "F" word in my post has not been edited out more than a week later...

And lastly, also find it slightly ironic that there's a thread called "how do I log into this damned place" in the FAQs forum which includes a word that is considered a profanity on nearly every profanity list around and yet such a draconian policy on swearing (I should also mention someone in this thread asked for a list and none was given).

End rant. I hope despite the hints of sarcasm this is taken as constructive criticism of admin policy and that I get a more intelligent reply than "this is a private site and if you don't like the rules bugger off" which is typically the reply in 99% of forums when the rules are questioned.

For a start, why do you want to swear on the site? Do you have children? Do you swear in front of your children? There is no need for it, which is why we have the filter. As for your post still being visible, we are only human, and aren't perfect, so we miss things, or forget. We also have lives to live, work to go to, and illnesses to fight. As for your week off, that's light to what our resident Rottweiler usually gives out. :D

• Like 7

Well, why do you want to swear... period? Be it this site or anywhere else? But that's beside my point. My issue is not that swearing is prohibited on this site but that a) the punishment is in complete disproportion to the offense and is not made public and b ) the reasons given for this prohibition are inconsistent with moderator actions.

a) the whole purpose of having a punishment (particularly a severe one) is to prevent people from doing something. However, if people aren't aware that such a punishment exists then they'll do the offense anyway. This is pretty common sense, and I'm a but surprised that some of you as parents don't seem to get it.

b ) as I said above, if the reason such a rule exists is to prevent children from seeing certain words, then I'm flabbergasted why that post still has not been edited. Yes, mods are human and they "miss things or forget" but Greg B clearly had enough time to slap a ban and quote that post in the warning message. You being a global moderator presumably can also edit it and despite me mentioning it, the big horrible F word is still there! If mods have time to ban people, surely mods have time to address whatever it was that got them banned in the first place.

I just find it hard to take this attitude against swearing seriously in light of the above.

Edited by Master Zen

So, having just received a one week ban for using an asterisk-ed "F" word, perhaps the people running this site should make it patently clear in the rules that this is an Indonesia-style mandatory sentence even for a first offence. Quite frankly a warning would have been more than enough as some of us are actually reasoning adults; as a former forum admin myself a week-long ban is not something I would do until after more than one repeated offense. Especially for those of us who rarely post in the chat section and therefore haven't read all the stickys and also those of us who aren't locals and perhaps would not have deduced that a "one way ticket to Coventry" (seen only until the 3rd page of this thread) is Brit-speak for getting automatically banned.

On that note, if the reason for prohibiting all forms of swearing is so as to avoid defiling the innocent eyes of our youth, I really wonder why that "F" word in my post has not been edited out more than a week later...

And lastly, also find it slightly ironic that there's a thread called "how do I log into this damned place" in the FAQs forum which includes a word that is considered a profanity on nearly every profanity list around and yet such a draconian policy on swearing (I should also mention someone in this thread asked for a list and none was given).

End rant. I hope despite the hints of sarcasm this is taken as constructive criticism of admin policy and that I get a more intelligent reply than "this is a private site and if you don't like the rules bugger off" which is typically the reply in 99% of forums when the rules are questioned.

Well, why do you want to swear... period? Be it this site or anywhere else? But that's beside my point. My issue is not that swearing is prohibited on this site but that a) the punishment is in complete disproportion to the offense and is not made public and b ) the reasons given for this prohibition are inconsistent with moderator actions.

a) the whole purpose of having a punishment (particularly a severe one) is to prevent people from doing something. However, if people aren't aware that such a punishment exists then they'll do the offense anyway. This is pretty common sense, and I'm a but surprised that some of you as parents don't seem to get it.

b ) as I said above, if the reason such a rule exists is to prevent children from seeing certain words, then I'm flabbergasted why that post still has not been edited. Yes, mods are human and they "miss things or forget" but Greg B clearly had enough time to slap a ban and quote that post in the warning message. You being a global moderator presumably can also edit it and despite me mentioning it, the big horrible F word is still there! If mods have time to ban people, surely mods have time to address whatever it was that got them banned in the first place.

I just find it hard to take this attitude against swearing seriously in light of the above.

Mmmm, so by your own admission you did not bother to read the rules of the road for the forum, nor the clearly posted swearing thread which on the first post clearly states that swearing is not welcome, nor tolerated on Britmodeller. Add to that, from reading your profile, you have been a member since July 2008 and have a fair few posts. But still, in all that time on here you have neither bothered to read the rules, nor by the looks of things picked up from the posts you have read and contributed to. Most surprisingly as well in that time, you have not picked up from the vibe of the site that swearing is just not on?

Apparently we also have an Indonesia style mandatory sentence; really? Were you tied to a post and shot?

Also, it looks like you want us to make public, a proportional list to what punishment goes with each swearword. I hate to tell you this, but to publish a list of swear words and then highlighting the sanction for each is sort of defeating the point and also does not take into account, tone, context and usage. Do we have to allow for weekdays, weekends, and christmas when publishing the list?

Damned, I'm afraid to highlight to you was a swearword and considered offensive in around the 1940's. But language is ever evolving and trust me, it would not raise eyebrows now. Unlike the word you used. So stop clutching at straws.

However, yes, I did forget to edit out the word emanating from your potty fingers, whoopee. But in between your histrionics, accusations and finger pointing, there were two things that you most certainly missed out.

1. Taking responsibility.

2. Apologising.

What the real problem is, and was, is that someone for probably the first time in your life by the looks of things has censured you. Indonesian punishment eh? I'll bet the Bali Nine would have welcomed a warning point and 7 days in the sin bin instead of their actual fate....

Anyway, to make the point about your lack of tact, arrogance, remorse and manners in approaching the mod team I am now going to step away and let the other Mods deal with you, just so there is no bias. However, you may want to consider that a member of the reviewing team highlighted that your original post was unacceptable and you required a warning, a couple of other normal members reported it to the Mod team and another one of your rants, I warned you and then on return you tried to argue the point with another Mod. I would advise you to read between the lines there Homer and dispense with the drama queen/victim act rather quickly.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Oh and to make a final point about the hypocrisy of your heavy handed approach to swearing (I noticed that you deleted my response to you which you clearly found inconvenient), here's some really family-friendly smilies on this site:

:bouncy:

Bouncy boobs, yeah I want my kids to see that all the time.

:fuhrer:

A Hitler icon. Really politically correct.

And finally: OH YOU CAN SAY THE "F" WORD ON BRITMODELLER AFTER ALL!!!:

:fuyou_2:

(Just as long as it's represented as an icon!)

I rest my case.

P.S. Homer was an epic poet, not a drama guy. #RespectTheGreeks

• Like 1

Well, since you've obviously taken a dislike to this site and the way it's run, perhaps you would be better off going elsewhere. :shrug:

Bye bye

• Like 5