Swearing

Greg B

I'm under no illusion that they do, I certainly do at work, however this is not the environment for it. And to answer your question, no, its still patently obvious what the word would be so what would be the point?

I'm in total agreement with you there Greg. Swearing was the norm when in the forces but it stopped whenever I got home and certainly would never condone it on the web.

The use of initials, to convey the same spleen-venting, is also just as wrong :nono: and immature.

Mike

I'm in total agreement with you there Greg. Swearing was the norm when in the forces but it stopped whenever I got home and certainly would never condone it on the web.

The use of initials, to convey the same spleen-venting, is also just as wrong :nono: and immature.

Mike

i agree mate i do it at work as my office at least 120 posties in there we do swear but at home with the family i dont at all ...i dont want my 4 year old hearing it.. and repeating it either .. and its good to do it online anywhere its not needed.. i dont allow it on the yahoo groups i own ..

thomas

• Like 1

My missus says - and rightly - that swearing is a sign of a lack of education and poor vocabulary. I confess I do so when she is not within earshot. Also when my wee boy is out of earshot and feel suitably embarrassed when caught.

If that's the way I feel at home then surely that's the way I should conduct myself among friends, acquaintances and strangers on here?

I have to say that I am with the Mods on keeping a firm line on this one.

• Like 2

My missus says - and rightly - that swearing is a sign of a lack of education and poor vocabulary.

I am well educated and have a large vocabulary - yet I will still swear. I think swearing is simply an act of laziness on my part.

I'm better than that. We're all better than that.

• Like 1

My missus says - and rightly - that swearing is a sign of a lack of education and poor vocabulary.

I am well educated and have a large vocabulary - yet I will still swear.

I have loads of qualifications and a stupidly large technical vocabulary to go with the usual stuff. I swear like a fishwife - when the occasion demands it. Sometimes nothing else will do, especially when discussing the people I work for. But not 'ere, obviously.

I am well educated and have a large vocabulary - yet I will still swear. I think swearing is simply an act of laziness on my part.

I'm better than that. We're all better than that.

I think what she means Enzo is that if we hit our finger with the hammer why does it have to be a boring old profane expletive time after time. Maybe here on BM we should start a campaign for more expressive and eloquent non offensive exclamations in such situations. Just a thought. (still do it myself though but I am trying to be better)

my work some of them wouldnt have any wages left !! ... :evil_laugh:

thomas

Same where I work, although I'm not the most prolific contributor... :whistle:

If anyone hears me swear, it's normally if I've really hurt myself (much like most of us at some stage I'd think) but that's for at home, when I'm alone, not here or in front of people.

Sean

• 4 weeks later...

Seeing as someone has just had an ear-bashing over profanity in posts, let's have another bump. As much as I enjoy "recreational swearing" in the real world, Here isn't the place for it, so just imagine my 3 year old is within earshot whenever you make a post. He's bound to pick up on every single eff or jeff, so leave it at the door to save aggro :)

Can we have a list please, so we know what words to avoid?

Any word you wouldn't use to your mother, wife, girlfriend or maiden aunt.

Having said that I've heard some wives and girlfriends use some very blue language!

Dunno, time and place for everything I say!

What words members use to each other in the privacy of their own four wall is their business. However, in public places and forums it's everybody's.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its also refreshing to find an environment where most of us, apart from getting a little frustrated at times, use this forum purely for pleasure when we are doing things that we enjoy so that swearing is just unneccessary. We all know the words so there's nothing to prove! Its also nice to think that we can have a 'polite society' here on BM, even if its hard in the real world, but we should all set good examples to those who don't know better. Not easy but I think we all probably feel better for it!

And, yes, I'm as bad as anyone else. In my working environment, due to the lack of heavy industry and manufacture, a lot of people who would have happily sworn like troopers on male dominated factory floors 30 years ago now work in offices and still swear like troopers and, once upon a time, a bloke would have minded his language when in the company of females but, these days, most young 'ladies' who share offices swear far more than their male contemporaries!

Oh for equal opportunities and political correctness!!

I'm getting too old!!

Simon

• Like 6

I don't understand how people can swear on a forum by accident I mean it's not like talking where it just slips out you have to type it and we all have to think when we type something so how do they slip in (swear words I mean). If I have reason to complain about something I if possible will always do it in a letter or email as you read it and don't forget a point you would in a phone call and it does not degrade into a slanging match or something I think generally there is too much swearing these days so I agree it must be kept under control where it can. If it is used in everyday conversation it looses it meaning anyway.

Good evening,

Please take breath and add some punctuation. Such a sentence is hard to follow !

But I must say I agree with you.

I once asked on a forum : do you read over before posting ?

What does anyone answer to that ?

Swearing while speaking cannot be erased, but writing swear words, reading them over (and over) and posting...

seems like swearing again (and again) after you just said one... It's endless !

And turns out boring for those listening to you -or reading in our situation -, considering the range of usual rude words is rather narrow.

It's been discussed above : the use of rude words indicates a lack of vocabulary or/and the poorness or mediocrity of the language.

Edited by AV O

Sorry I see what you mean, I read to make sure what I have written makes sense, but of course I know what I am writing and know where the punctuation should be, but for some reason don't check the actual punctuation having reread the sentence I can see what you mean. Will try harder in the future (feel like I am back at school Sir).