Swearing

Greg B

Gents and Ladies,

There has been an increase in the amount of swearing used on the forum. To clarify a point, BM does not allow swearing in posts including trying to bypass the filters by the use of symbols, this is for a couple of reasons, including the presence on the site of younger modellers and ultimately we want to keep this as a polite forum. Yes the filter takes out some, we find others and some will of course fall under the radar, however the amount of posts that have to be edited has risen from a once in a blue moon occurrence to a point where we are having to edit posts on a daily basis.

Sweary Mary's and Joe Pesci impressionists are not welcome.

Cheers

Greg B :shutup:

• Like 7

us swearing? :shrug: parish the thought :whistle:

Yeah it has become the norm in conversation anymore. I agree we must monitor ourselves more closely just to keep things polite. Just to point something out if this is the case then maybe you should get rid of this? Just saying :coat:

as my Nan used to say "Swearing is the sign of someone with limited vocabulary".........

And she was 'effin right too. :)

Jonners, hoping the humour is noted

Short of the Anglo Saxon we all use when parts dont fit, I'm sure we can all self censor our expletives if we try.

Years ago now, as a teenager, I was standing in a group at a mate's house, every other word a four-letter one. His father knew a thing or two about language as he was head translator at a large local industry. He heard us and as he approached I feared a telling off but he merely said, "what I don't understand is what you lot are going to say when you hit your thumb with a hammer".

The point was that there are times when it is appropriate to use swear words but Greg is right, a forum such as this is not one of them.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I remember getting a clip around the ear from my mum for saying bl**dy, I was 32 at the time, married with a kiddy, as kids we were brought up in a non swearing environment, and it has stuck, however the hammer on the thumb does bring out something stronger than crikey.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

My Mum was never convinced that the name of the well known Dutch aircraft manufacturer from World War 1 wasn't actually swearing. I had to be Very careful when talking about certain German biplanes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Good call Greg

Very refreshing to see unanimity.

We all do it and in my case it does not always require the intervention of a hammer but now I am a Dad I am much more aware of it and to be candid just how unnecessary it is.

My Mum was never convinced that the name of the well known Dutch aircraft manufacturer from World War 1 wasn't actually swearing. I had to be Very careful when talking about certain German biplanes.

If I remember rightly, Benny Hill did a sketch involving this "mis-understanding".

• Haha 1

Personally I disagree. I think kids need to develop a potty mouth - it's an essential modelling tool, e.g. for when you find you've glued the wing on upside down or fed the carpet monster yet again

(btw I am joking...)

Edited by crookedmouth
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know a really good joke that involves a Fokker Friendship but I think I'll not press my luck :bleh:

Edited by venomvixen
  • Haha 2

Methinks the users of this site are kidding thereselves if they think the "younger modellers" on this site do not already use this kind of language. However if mods wish to ban it so be it. Are asterisks in place of letters in swear words acceptable?

Andy

Methinks the users of this site are kidding thereselves if they think the "younger modellers" on this site do not already use this kind of language. However if mods wish to ban it so be it. Are asterisks in place of letters in swear words acceptable?

Andy

I'm under no illusion that they do, I certainly do at work, however this is not the environment for it. And to answer your question, no, its still patently obvious what the word would be so what would be the point?

• Like 2

Lets face it, we all do it at some time or other. Heck, in my job, if I get kicked or stood on by a 3/4 tonne beast I can come out with a language that would put a Scottish sailor to shame, but I think if we went down the route of making it acceptable on forums such as this, it would rapidly degenerate into the likes of some other social sites, where at some point or other, name calling ensues, then the insults...then YouTube comment status. Let's face it, you tend to be generally pleasant with most strangers you meet, and (most) wouldn't let rip a string of effing and blinding in front of the family, so keeping things cordial here is by far the better option.

• Like 1

swear? me? never

(ok only at computers when they dont work the way they are supposed to)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...