1:48 Hasegawa F-8E Crusader MiG-killer

Here’s another of my collection of F-8 Crusaders, a 1/48 Hasegawa F-8E. I finished it in the markings of 'Superheat 210', a jet flown by VF-162 commanding officer CDR. Richard Bellinger from USS Oriskany, when he downed the Navy’s first MiG-21 of the Vietnam War in 1966. I used a mix of Eduard and kit decals, a Cutting Edge cockpit, and Aires resin gear wells and underwing bay. I scratch-built the boarding steps and ladder, and added brake and hydraulic lines to the gear. In the cockpit I added a flap handle and emergency canopy release to the insturment panel, a grab handle and standby compas on the windscreen bow, and added a canopy restraint strap and the canvas cover to the hole in front of the gunsight. As per my research, the jet carries a dissimilar weapons load of an AIM-9B and an AIM-9D, since there was a shortage of the newer sidewinders at that point in the war. While Hasegawa's F-8 is the best in 1:48 scale, I had numerous fit issues, most likely due to all the aftermarket parts I added and my own building errors. It’s no contest winner, but it’s finished, and on the shelf!

BellingersF-8Eweb3_zps9425b79b.jpg

BellingersF-8Eweb6_zpsd45a726c.jpg

BellingersF-8Eweb4_zpsd0be5d48.jpg

BellingersF-8Eweb2_zps38b970e0.jpg

BellingersF-8Eweb5_zps43859dba.jpgBellingersF-8Eweb1_zpsae9a5d09.jpg

• Like 13

Ah, a Crusader...what a beautiful aircraft! And a right beautiful model too! Excellent detailing in the gear wells. And the boarding step is cool, I've not seen one of those before.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

What a beautiful rendering of a lovely aircraft. Fantastic build, love the finishing - the detailing really pays off.

• Like 1

Very nice job! I like the Hasegawa F-8 kit a lot, but it does have some "Passive-Agressive" assembly characteristics regarding the wing installation with the flaps in anything other than the fully down configuration.

Would love to see them re-tool this kit as an early version. No shortage of cool paint schemes out there; just like the F3H Demon.

Instrument panel looks great, and of course i love the extended boarding step!

Fly Navy!!

david

• Like 1