1:144 Wessex HU.5 - Anigrand (conversion)

For this build I plan to use a 1:144 Anigrand Wessex HC.2 as a basis for building a Royal Navy Wessex HU.5.

wessex5_hms_bulwark_1967.jpg

The main, visual, difference between these versions of Wessex is the windows which are larger on the RN version.

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_2.jpg

I shall start by cutting out the windows to the correct shape, however this means that the clear glazing which comes with the kit cannot be used. I shall make new ones using a clear filling compound.

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_6.jpg

I may also build this with the rotor blades and tail folded. As a precaution, just in case the sawing off the tail shortens it, I will make a mould of the tail in case I need to make a fresh tail section.

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_7.jpg

Quick check of with the windows cut out, but still need trimming, and the nose section attached

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_9.jpg

More work to be done tomorrow.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, that looks like a nice little Wessex and rather interesting. So what is the mould material you have used for the replacements tail pylon?

Of note on November in the background whilst Royal plays deck hockey, is that it is carring the light stores carrier on the starboard side mount. It was usual to carry it on the port side, do you have any more pics of the cabs on the Bulwark, please?

Colin

hcoptergb_zps20a09ba41_zpsfbccc826.jpg

This looks good, been looking for one of these fora while, but don't want to buy an expensive resin kit to get this as a bonus!

Keen to watch this progress

Hi Mike, that looks like a nice little Wessex and rather interesting. So what is the mould material you have used for the replacements tail pylon?

Of note on November in the background whilst Royal plays deck hockey, is that it is carring the light stores carrier on the starboard side mount. It was usual to carry it on the port side, do you have any more pics of the cabs on the Bulwark, please?

Colin

Hi Colin,

that's the only shot I have as I was one of the Royals playing deck hockey at the time. I stopped for a few seconds to take a photo and then carried on with the game.

The occasion was when 40 Cdo RM were rapidly deployed, from Singapore, onto HMS Bulwark; to go to deal with the riots in Hong Kong in 1967. An occasion when the Chinese called us 'The paper tiger'.

The moulding material is a very simple solid compound called Oyumaru. I heat it in boiling water for a minute or so (acts better than warm water in the video), remove it and quickly dab off any excess water, and then apply it to the shape I want.

I mostly tend to do it for one-sided moulds, however I have also made 3D mould by making one side first; let it completely harden (perhaps an hour) and then spray it with wax release agent. Making sure the master is still in place, I then repeat the process for the other side.

When the whole thing has completely hardened, I then separate, remove the original, cut a groove for the resin to pour in and then pour in the freshly mixed resin.

The great thing about Oyumaru is that it is re-usable. Once you've finished with that mould, just drop it in hot water and you are ready to start on a new mould.

Mike

Hi Mike, many thanks for your reply on the moulding rubber, sounds a bit like a prduct I used in the ealry '80's remouldable rubber, same techniques.

The reason I asked if you had any more pics of the 845 cab is I was serving on the squardron when we went to HK, boody weeze that was hey? Ten days steaming to get there and then when we did it was all over!

Colin

I've started opening up the crew/troop door, so that I can show a bit of internal detail for this build

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_05.jpg

There were quite a few reinforcing sections inside the fuselage halves and I needed to remove them if I wanted to build up the internal section.

Here is a comparison of the original, above, and the cleaned out sections below.

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_06_comparison1.

The opening for the side door looks a little ragged at the moment but that will get sorted later.

I also managed to snap off the tail of one piece but that won't be a problem as it is a clean break and should stick back together fairly easily.

The internal floor, front bulkhead, plus the first parts of the cockpit have been installed. I shall leave these bits to set now, ready for some more work on it tomorrow.

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_08_internal1.jp

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

Mike, Im struggling with a 32nd scale interior, and you are scratchbuilding a 144th interior...

:wow:

Steve

My thoughts entirely! Hats definitely off.

I did one single landing on the "Rusty B", but most of this is before (even) my time; glad to see there are other superannuated ex-Matelots around.

ex Matelot?? :analintruder: You insult me sir!........... unless you are referring to Heloman and Swordfish Fairey.

I always remember a saying that my old troop sergeant taught me........ The are two types of Marine

a submarine and a Royal Marine

They both carried the Navy! :bleh:

Mike

• Like 1

ex Matelot?? :analintruder: You insult me sir!........... unless you are referring to Heloman and Swordfish Fairey.

I always remember a saying that my old troop sergeant taught me........ The are two types of Marine

a submarine and a Royal Marine

They both carried the Navy! :bleh:

Mike

Actually, I was referring to Heloman & his Wessie flying... Having gone to war in Fearless in 1982, I am well aware of the quality of Booties! Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU

Very cool work mate, you've managed to impress me again bootneck. Wish I had the skill and more importantly the patience to scratch build that well. Hats off to your work. :)

Will be watching your builds :)

Why am I having trouble picturing a game of hockey being played on the deck? Footie and Rugby (that seems more like a Marines game to me)... still it's pretty cool either way, bet its not allowed now tho...

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Why am I having trouble picturing a game of hockey being played on the deck? Footie and Rugby (that seems more like a Marines game to me)... still it's pretty cool either way, bet its not allowed now tho...

Deck hockey is one of the most vicious games known to man, as far as I remember; there are very few rules, the "puck" is a rolled up piece of masking tape and generally it is a recipe for smashed shins rather than silky skills. I grant you those players do appear to be looking at the puck rather than the next man to maim, but that may be just for the cameras... ;-)

It was certainly still allowed - and very popular - when I last served in a carrier (but that was over 20 years ago). I'll be very surprised if it's not still played.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU

I've heard that Hurley is the worlds most dangerous sport, besides baiting the mother-in-law that is! Legalised murder with a ball involved.

Colin

Edited by heloman1

A little bit more on the internals today, before I close it up and hide it all! Don't know why I'm doing this part as I will have a crewman standing in the doorway blocking the view.

vertical framing installed. I've used the smallest plastic rod I could find which is 0.3mm

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_10.jpg

Some of the horizontal framework now added, plus the deckhead (ceiling). I think I need to give the old eyes a rest now!

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_11.jpg

I don't know what the box, in the front port side was for. I just remember it being referred to as the coffin!

I'll leave it at that for tonight and go and do some more on my other GB stuff. Tomorrow I'll start to put some seats and rails in.

Thanks for your supportive comments, I really appreciate it.

Mike

• Like 2

I've repaired and cleaned up the door opening ready for priming.

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_12_door_repaire

Adding the seats now

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_13_seats%20adde

The inside has been primed and then I have given the bulkheads, deckheads and seats a coat of paint. Hardly a 'coat', more like a bristle's worth!

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_14_seats_painte

And then we close it all up and can hardly see any of it! But I will know it is there. Also given it a coat of primer.

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_15_closed%20up.

Now that it is closed up, I can concentrate on the rest of the kit, probably concentrating on the cockpit area next. I shall also start casting the doors ready for fitting in the open position later.

That's it for now. More later.

Thanks for looking

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Mike. The 'coffin' port side forward in the cabin hid/protected some radio gear. We as grubbers were encouraged to kick it, in the hope the radio mechs would have something to do besides sit around drinking coffee or making deck hockey pucks! As a three man seat it certainly woun't have won any awards at Habitiat.

Great work as always.

Colin

Edited by heloman1
  • Like 1

Deck hockey is one of the most vicious games known to man, as far as I remember; there are very few rules, the "puck" is a rolled up piece of masking tape and generally it is a recipe for smashed shins rather than silky skills. I grant you those players do appear to be looking at the puck rather than the next man to maim, but that may be just for the cameras... ;-)

It was certainly still allowed - and very popular - when I last served in a carrier (but that was over 20 years ago). I'll be very surprised if it's not still played.

When you put it into that context, it makes perfect sense!! Also remembering what it was like when I played hockey at school kinda makes me cringe. The girls always hit the wrong "ball" if you catch my meaning?? I bet the game is a right laugh to watch too. :)

Bootneck, looking awesome!! Love what you've done with her. Very impressive :D

Kind Regards

Dazz

I've never heard it called a magnifier before!! :shocked:

You only saw me last week, did I look as if I was the steady handed type? :spudniksmurf: I just hold the bits down with a strip of harry black maskers and then jab away at anything the sticks out! :blink2:

cheers

Mike

:lol: That could end up with some "interesting" results :S

You've got us fooled anyway Mike... I suppose the fact that you're never sober helps with the jitters... and there was me offering you coffee or tea :rolleyes: