1:144 Wessex HAS.1 - Anigrand (conversion)

I have a couple of Anigrand 1:144 resin Wessex HC.2 kits which I plan to build. The one for this build will be a Wessex HAS.1 Royal Navy and the other, for a separate thread, will be a Wessex HU.5.

The Wessex HC.2 kit is a 'bonus' item and comes with Anigrand's Handley-Page Victor K.2 kit.

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_1.jpg

Two of the most visual differences, between a Wessex HC.2 and the HAS.1, which I shall be dealing with first are: the nose shape and the window sizes. The Wessex HAS.1 does not have the large air intake as fitted on the HC.2 or HU.5. Also, the windows of Royal Navy cabs are larger in a landscape aspect. An additional difference, which I can deal with later, is the engine exhaust pipes. The HAS.1 has two small exhausts each side of the engine area, whereas the HC.2 and the HU.5 have larger exhausts.

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_2.jpg

The plan is to re-shape the nose, to look more like the HAS.1 version. I have made a mould of this piece, in case I screw this part up!

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_5.jpg

I also plan to have the fuselage cabin door open in this build, so I shall need to make an impression of the door ready to make a resin cast later.

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_3.jpg

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_4.jpg

Then I will open up the window areas to a more suitable shape for the Royal Navy versions. This means that the clear window parts from the kit can not be used here so I will make fresh with a clear infill solution.

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_6.jpg

Herewith the windows shaped and the initial cuts made in the nose layout.

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_7.jpg

That's it for now. Will come back to this later.

cheers

Mike

The next phase is to tidy up the nose profile, something like this:

wessex_1_profile.jpg

I've added some scrap plastic pieces to the upper 'lip' as it looks a bit too vertical

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_7_reshape_nose2.

The exhaust outlets needed to be blanked off, ready for filling, as the HAS.1 had two smaller exhaust pipes as compared to the large single one of the HC.2 or HU.5

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_6_reshape_nose1.

Tidied the nose up a bit and then coated it in Mr Surfacer 500, to check for alignment.

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_8_reshape_nose2.

I'll leave that to dry for a while and then check it later.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

A little bit more done tonight. I have found a bit of mesh which nearly matches enough to look OK. Trouble with this scale is finding items small enough to match.

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_09_nose_mesh1jpg

Still a fair bit to do to tidy this up but it is starting to look the part for a Mk.1

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_10_nose_mesh2jpg

Coat of primer on. It is easier to see what needs to be done to the nose now. There will be more mesh added to each side of the central piece later.

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_12_primed2.jpg

'nuff for now. Going to do a bit more on my Wx Mk.5 now.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The sides to the grill have been installed and the blue/grey areas have been painted onto the fuselage. The line at the back is vertical, it's just an

optical illusion which make it look slanting.

The coloured cards in the background are testers for the right colour orange/red to be added.

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_14_blue-grey.jpg

Once the blue/grey was fully dried I masked the model up again and then gave it a spray of red. I'm afraid that the tailplane was

damaged as a result of all the masking. I shall correct that shortly and give the paint a touch up. The oleos have also been added.

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_15_red.jpg

I'll leave everything to dry completely overnight and then give it a coat of Klear tomorrow.

Next thing will be to mark up and drill the holes for the corrected exhaust outlets. The outlet pipes will need to be s/b from plastic tube.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Mike, fascinating build and enjoying it very much. I like the other two 1/144 Helis you're building too.

If you're having trouble finding 1/144 stuff look at "N" Scale railway gear (tons of the stuff and good quality too) but make sure it is British "N" Scale as other countries can have a slightly different... umm... Interpretation of "N" Scale.

For fine mesh have a look at the "Miniscene Models N-Scale Chain Link Fencing kit - NF1". You should get enough fine mesh for 20 Wokkas for about £5.

If you want to, PM me your address and I'll post you a large enough snip from what I have which should cover your builds here.

You can even get N Scale figgies that will do the job beautifully.

Have a look here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234939111-revell-1-144-tornado-grmk1/

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Murdo, thanks for the advice, will keep that in mind.

I've managed to get a bit more done on the HAS.1, mostly finding and fitting the decals.

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_17_decals.jpg

Most of them have been sourced from one of Sweet's Sea King HAS.5's (don't know what I'll do when it comes to building that!) plus stealing from other decal sheets that I can find the correct sizes for this build.

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_19_decals.jpg

There are still a few decals to add, mostly fire points, window egress markings, and the step marks along the top.

I also need to scratchbuild the winch and some flotation cans for the wheels. Then I will need to get on with the rotor head and blades etc.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

Hi OzH,

thanks for the comments, here and on the other Wessex thread.

Not much doing lately.The glues, paints and resins are drying too fast before I can finish applying them at the moment.

I haven't stopped though, I am just whittling down some flotation cans (2mm dia x 1mm thick :hypnotised: ) but they're straining my eyes so only doing a bit at a time.

The difficult part is keeping hold of the little blighters while filing and shaping etc.

cheers

Mike

Flotcans - the junglie on the right has one dry-fitted for testing, with more in the foreground being shaped.

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_26_flotcans.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Had a bit of a mad final sprint and managed to get some work done here.

I started by masking up the canopy, NOT an easy task and I have 3 of these to do!

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_22_masking.jpg

Next thing was to add the scratchbuilt flotation cans and fit them onto the wheels. I had sourced some 'ejection/explosive' decals from a Sweet Sea King and added those to the flotation cans - they are tiny!

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_24_flotcans.jpg

The rotor head and blades were fitted next. I had a few attempts at getting those 'lifting strap' lines right.

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_25a_main_rotorbl

I finally found the best way was to spray the whole blade yellow and red; then mask the tiny lines and spray the whole blade grey. Once the masks are removed, the lines look OK.

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_25c_main_rotorbl

The final thing is to put it on a base. This one is from Just Bases and is of MDF and has a recessed centre. I scratchbuilt an inlay from Evergreen plastic sheets to represent a carrier flight deck and placed the model onto it as a little diorama.

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_27_on_base.jpg

The flight deck tractor is another scratchbuild which I made for an earlier GB diorama.

wessex_helicopter_ii_gb_28_on_base.jpg

I have still got to fill the side window, using Glue 'n Glaze but I have run out of time for this GB so will have to stop now.

I've thoroughly enjoyed converting this Anigrand Westland Wessex HC.2 into a Wessex HAS.1 and have learned a load of things along the way which helps me with my modelling experience.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

• Like 1

I think this one is my favourite of the lot Mike - an absolute little stunner - she looks great on the base too! These little Anigrand kits look like they make up into some fine models - especially with the application of your modelling skills! Great job!! :thumbsup:

Thanks Colin,

Couldn't find a queue to join anywhere so I thought I might as well get a bit more modelling done! :analintruder:

Mike

Hi Mike, you're not still queing are you? Seriously a great looking early Wessex, I think you got the coulrs spot on. She looks very tasty. Congratualtions.

Colin